Biblical scholar's date for rapture: May 21, 2011

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Harold Camping lets out a hearty chuckle when he considers the people who believe the world will end in 2012.

"That date has not one stitch of biblical authority," Camping says from the Oakland office where he runs Family Radio, an evangelical station that reaches listeners around the world. "It's like a fairy tale."

The real date for the end of times, he says, is in 2011.

The Mayans and the recent Hollywood movie "2012" have put the apocalypse in the popular mind this year, but Camping has been at this business for a long time. And while Armageddon is pop science or big-screen entertainment to many, Camping has followers from the Bay Area to China.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/01/01/BA8V1AV589.DTL

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the bible's his source and he's happy with that date then cool. I should get in touch with him, maybe we can work some legal deal where I can get his stuff the day after his rapture.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The world ends on the day you die. At least for you. Others may enjoy the world longer.

OP
Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Obviously i don't buy into this nonsense, but the only reason I can see in trying to find "the date", is to sell books and make $$.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The world ends on the day you die. At least for you. Others may enjoy the world longer.
Nope.

Since you're all simply figments of my imagination -- you end that day, too.

(Sorry 'bout that. And, yes, I do have a mighty strange and warped imagination. Just look in the mirror!)

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Being off by seven months is still a pretty good swag. Kudos to the Mayans. ;)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So you are one of those people who think all reality is in their heads. I never got those people.
Does life happen when I'm asleep? Or does the story just fast forward when I wake? I wonder sometimes. ;)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can't top flying on a turtle to the dream palace.....

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not just a turtle, but 4 elephants holding the whole thing up.

HOGF_discworld_500x280.jpg

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now here's the thing....if this guys right, I won';t have to pay off my student or business loans. If he's wrong, those payments are gonna be a *****. Now so far, everyone else who's set a date for the end of the world has been wrong....so, it's hard to take anyone serious here.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, the Bible says NO ONE knows the date and anyone that claims to is full of BS. ;)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually, the Bible says NO ONE knows the date and anyone that claims to is full of BS. ;)
Yep... none but the father knows the time...

There's also NO reference to the rapture in the bible... ANY translation... PERIOD...

The rapture I think was invented by some evangelistic preacher way back when in the south and got lots of folks to get their heads together and join HIS church... (subsequently donating tons of money to him as well) ... for reasons unknown this myth hasn't left popular christian culture...
Mormons don't believe in it ... and a few others don't... but quite a few still do...

Sad

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Harold Camping lets out a hearty chuckle when he considers the people who believe the world will end in 2012.

"That date has not one stitch of biblical authority," Camping says from the Oakland office where he runs Family Radio, an evangelical station that reaches listeners around the world. "It's like a fairy tale."

The real date for the end of times, he says, is in 2011.

The Mayans and the recent Hollywood movie "2012" have put the apocalypse in the popular mind this year, but Camping has been at this business for a long time. And while Armageddon is pop science or big-screen entertainment to many, Camping has followers from the Bay Area to China.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/01/01/BA8V1AV589.DTL

:bs:

I have one name for Harold Camping: William Miller

Those who buy into this with just experiance the Great Disappointment again. Why don't people learn from history?

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep... none but the father knows the time...

There's also NO reference to the rapture in the bible... ANY translation... PERIOD...

The rapture I think was invented by some evangelistic preacher way back when in the south and got lots of folks to get their heads together and join HIS church... (subsequently donating tons of money to him as well) ... for reasons unknown this myth hasn't left popular christian culture...
Mormons don't believe in it ... and a few others don't... but quite a few still do...

Sad

Yup invented by John Nelson Darby. The dude was a crack pot and yet people seem to eat his teachings up. Go figure.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
21 May 2011 just does not work for me as an end of the world date. Way too many things going on, plus I'd miss the Summer with my wife.

Does he have anything open in December for Armageddon?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
21 May 2011 just does not work for me as an end of the world date. Way too many things going on, plus I'd miss the Summer with my wife.

Does he have anything open in December for Armageddon?
"Armageddon for 1, sometime in December. What name shall I put that under?"

Just hold your horses there -- even you with the pale one -- Arm-a-gettin you a table!

Latest Discussions