Possible recommended style?

monokrome

White Belt
Reaction score
Sorry if any of this is off-topic... I'm new here.

I am (obviously) interested in learning more about martial arts. I've been interested in martial arts since I could walk (pretty much), but have been raised in a way that I could only learn by personal research (parents decided that I should not "practice violence" as a child).

Learning by myself can only move me so far. I am highly interested in learning more about pressure points, fluid movement, and nunchaku. I'm not completely interested in grappling, aside from knowing how to get out of a decent grapple.

Ultimately, I am interested in learning Ninjutsu - but think that it'd be better to start working with an art that does not emphasise the use of weapons. I am 6'5", weighing around 210lb.

Anyone got an idea of where I should start?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. I appreciate your time for even reading this overly explained query...

OP
M

monokrome

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure... I am in Salt Lake City, Utah. There's a lot available around here, but I don't know about the reputation.

There are ninjutsu trainers nearby, but I don't know how reputable they are...
( http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Cabin/9895/ )

I'm pretty sure that I can find most taught styles within 100 miles of here...

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
100 miles is a pretty wide range. The real question is how far are you practically willing to travel on a regular (3-5 days a week) basis for years on end?

Once you answer that question, you will have a better idea of your geographical limitations and therefore your choices available.

Find what is available first. You can do some pre-filtering (i.e. you don't seem interested in grappling, so BJJ and most MMA gyms are probably out), but after that, you really need to look at the available schools. Believe it or not, you will eliminate some styles you thought might be interesting once you meet the instructor available, look at the setup of the dojo, meet students in a given school, etc.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey Monokrome,

The link you presented is a Bujinkan school.

Bujinkan as with other X-kan are the closest thing you can get to Ninjutsu.

You will find a great varity in the Bujinkan with weapons and without weapons as well as find thing that will help you in your journey.

I do not believe Nunchaku is taught as it more of an Okinawan/Chinese weapon then a classic Japanese one however the Bujinkan does teach chains and Kusari gama.

OP
M

monokrome

White Belt
Reaction score
7starmarc,
I wouldn't mind travelling 100 miles 3 times week, assuming that I was gaining the proper knowledge out of it. That's why I brought up the 100 mile figure :)

JadecloudAlchemist,
Are you suggesting that the school that I linked to is pretty reputable? If so, that'd be perfect.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi,

Welcome aboard!

I am (obviously) interested in learning more about martial arts. I've been interested in martial arts since I could walk (pretty much), but have been raised in a way that I could only learn by personal research (parents decided that I should not "practice violence" as a child).

Learning by myself can only move me so far.

These arts can only really be learnt from a teacher, not books or so on, so finding a teacher is a necessary step. Well done.

I am highly interested in learning more about pressure points, fluid movement, and nunchaku. I'm not completely interested in grappling, aside from knowing how to get out of a decent grapple.

Ultimately, I am interested in learning Ninjutsu - but think that it'd be better to start working with an art that does not emphasise the use of weapons. I am 6'5", weighing around 210lb.

Ninjutsu in it's current guise (Bujinkan, Genbukan, Jinenkan etc) doesteach you proper targeting, including what you are refering to as "pressure points", known as kyusho, and fluid movement is a corner stone of the art. However, nunchaku are a karate weapon, so you won't find it an authentic Ninjutsu school unless the instructor has a karate background and chooses to include it. For the record, the use of the weighted chain (kusari fundo/manriki gusari) wasn't part of a Ninjutsu school until Hatsumi Sensei studied it under Yumio Nawa of the Masaki Ryu, and incorporated it into the Bujinkan curriculuum.

As for not being completely interested in grappling, I would point out that most native Japanese unarmed arts are primarily grappling, although not the ground work as found in arts such as BJJ. This is a throwback to the original battlefield conditions and armour worn, which provides certain grips, but little available striking surfaces. Arts such as karate focus on strikes, then you go to the Chinese and Korean systems.

Ninjutsu does include a wide array of weapons in it's teachings, however they are not the emphasis. Instead, they flow from your understanding of the unarmed training (taijutsu), with the one influencing and improving the other. The focus, or emphasis, though, is on correct movement through distance, balance, and timing, and this is trained through your exposure to taijutsu.

Simple. Follow the advice already given, look around your area, visit schools, get a feel for the instructors and students, then go with the one you feel best about. It may or may not be Ninjutsu, though, so keep an open mind.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. I appreciate your time for even reading this overly explained query...

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Monokrome

The link you presented is a Bujinkan link the Bujinkan is reputable as authentic. The Gentleman's name is Bill Hartman. It says on the site that he has trained with Dale Seago who posts here. You can private message Dale who is a senior member in the Bujinkan on Martial Talk concerning your queries about Mr.Hartman.

OP
M

monokrome

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for your help everyone...

I wasn't neglecting other styles, DeadlyShins. I was considering a few :)

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
(parents decided that I should not "practice violence" as a child).

Blech. Violence is important... it decides history more often than not.

Anywho, The X-kans are generally well-liked by their practicioners, and seem to fit a lot of your criteria.

Filipino martial arts are generally pretty cool too. I greatly enjoyed the Arnis de Mano I did as a kid. Filipino arts tend to have a lot of flow drills which you might enjoy. And of course, it never hurts to learn boxing to get those combos smooth and flowing.

It all comes down to what you want out of it. Try a bunch and see what vibes with you. It might turn out that you really like grappling or whatever else if you try it. Never hurts to try, anyway. Don't start shutting doors until you find what's right.

Best regards,

-Mark

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that I can find most taught styles within 100 miles of here...

You can, and many of them are tournament oriented karate/tkd/kenpo. And stay the hell away from the United Studios of Self-Defense unless you are under 12 or actually interested in self-defense

Most of instructors I would recommend fall in the MMA or the rough and ready self-defense oriented end of things, something that don't really overlap with "pressure points" and "nunchaku" very often. They certainly aren't ninjutsu.

But I'll recommend them anyway.
http://www.bernalesinstitute.com/
http://www.kravmagaslc.com/home.htm

I'd recommend my kali instructor there, but last I heard he wasn't taking students.

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
And stay the hell away from the United Studios of Self-Defense unless you are under 12 or actually interested in self-defense

Just curious, why the "unless you are under 12" qualification? Do they have a particularly good curriculum or methodology for that age group? Or do you just mean "not ready to get serious about a martial art"?

Also the "or actually interested in self defense" -- do they have some particularly good aspects for self defense in their curriculum?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Learning by myself can only move me so far. I am highly interested in learning more about pressure points, fluid movement, and nunchaku. I'm not completely interested in grappling, aside from knowing how to get out of a decent grapple.

Welcome to MT! You are an inch taller and ten pounds heavier than I am.

Here are a few observations.

Ninjutsu: the X-kans are the closest thing you will get to it and actually teach a range of arts in their curriculum. Taijutsu, kenjutsu, and bojutsu are among the skill sets taught in these orgs. Having said that, other 'ninja schools' may be very good and have what you are looking for.

Nunchucku: Okinawan karate is more likely to teach this and teach it authentically. It would provide you with a solid, unarmed fighting style as well.

Style in general: You seem to want a stand up art and do not seem interested in groundwork. Think less about the specific art and more about what you want to learn. Then determine which arts offer you what you are after.

For stand up fighting without a lot of groundwork and enough grappling to defend against a grappler, hapkido might be a very good bet. Also, some hapkido schools will teach nunchucku, cane, sword, staff, and belt techniques.

As I said earlier, karate, and there are many styles, might be a good bet as well. Your height would make you exceptionally well suited to taekwondo. There are several styles of kenpo which also may offer what you are looking for.

Someone earlier mentioned judo. This takes you away from the whole idea of not a lot of groundwork, but judo is a very cool art and I would not rule it out.

First things first, look at what you have access to and determine the radius in which schools are located that you can realistically attend.

Best wishes!

Daniel