Point of Origin?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Thanks. Was debating if I wanted to point that out-in their mythology animals do have a place, but there's nothing suggesting that they dressed up specifically in the style of animals, or that if they did that it was due to animals martial prowess.
This is not to say they were anything other than crazy-pants. Because they were definitely into some weird stuff.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is not to say they were anything other than crazy-pants. Because they were definitely into some weird stuff.
I always thought the Picts were into some weird stuff. I mean, they went into battle naked, except for a coat of blue paint. And it's not like they were in the Bahamas...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I always thought the Picts were into some weird stuff. I mean, they went into battle naked, except for a coat of blue paint. And it's not like they were in the Bahamas...
I guess it’s incentive to keep moving, stay warm, kill as fast as you can.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks…You just repeated everything I wrote… and yes I took the list from wiki “FOR CORRECT SPELLING “ purposes only.

would you like me to actually research the many style under the umbrella of Chang Quan and give a detailed account? Would that satisfy you?

i did not imply animal styles are only in the south… that said you point to one animal style in the north, I will point to 3 in the south.

Finally… I don’t exist on this thread to puff up my ego… with gotcha’s and zingers…
You seem bothered.

"Animal styles or styles that mimic animals was/are a Nan Quan (i.e a southern fist)"

seemed like an implication to me.

I'd love a detailed account of all Chang Quan styles and connected styles, because I like detail. I'd also love to discuss Lingnan Hung Kuen in Honk Kong cinema some time.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think what needs to be established, and what everyone ought to understand and accept unaltered and unquestioned, is that the martial methods as they are practiced today were fully formed from day one by their respective (and respected!!!) founder, and more often than not, in a martial vacuum. These fellows were brilliant and insightful to the extreme. No standing on the shoulders of their ancestors for them, no sir! Lacking any prior martial experience, they took a nugget of inspiration and with that, and with nothing else, created an entire methodology and system, usually with nothing less than 18 empty-hand forms and a good 18 weapons forms to boot. And typically these fellows did it all by themselves, with no input or adjustments or contributions by others. Those of us who have been diligent and paying attention in class have continued the propagation of the system exactly as it sprang forth fully formed from that martial vacuum, some abstract number of millennia ago in the primordial soup.

Accept it. This is how it happened.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My art was founded by the Great Grand Poobah Grand Master 32nd degree black belt Ug, after he picked up a fallen branch and used it to persuade Agh to share his food.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My martial art is modern compared to the history you are all discussing and people still argue about aspects of our history.
Same. My primary art originated in the first half of the 20th century, and we still don't have solid evidence to back the most common origin story.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Damo's origin story is a doozy. What would make a hall full of monks in a remote mountain of China suddenly decide to venerate first a Buddhist deity, and then replace him with a fat, angry non-Chinese man who apparently was really into Yoga?

Jesus of Nazareth himself had similar problems to Damo.

I'm nowhere near their level. I'm still stuck in the era of Tang Dynasty poetry. Might never leave, there's just so much left to read.

letsplaygames

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You seem bothered.

"Animal styles or styles that mimic animals was/are a Nan Quan (i.e a southern fist)"

seemed like an implication to me.

I'd love a detailed account of all Chang Quan styles and connected styles, because I like detail. I'd also love to discuss Lingnan Hung Kuen in Honk Kong cinema some time.
🤣🤣🤣

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is over 2000 years old.

10 is an even number.

1641594950322.png

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is pushing 2500 years old, too. I think without too much difficulty, I could find some pankration stuff that's close to 3000 years old.

View attachment 27912
That's not a set of exercises. That's dramatic art.

The ten postures above include stretches above the head, behind the back, hip flexors...

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all know the only reason Cain was able to kill Abel was because Abel did not know the triple axel, spinning flibberty jibber, roundhouse jumping back-flip kick
One thing I'm fond of telling my students is being deadly is not really that hard. Any sufficiently motivated person with a heavy or sharp object can kill another person, no training required.