Please put your hand back

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
over here being liverpool - north wales corridor - wouldn't even get a slap on the wrist for laying someone out cold for showing bad manners or total disrespect and the cops know that so they don't do anything about it.

failure to shake their hand implies that they've got really bad germs n diseases n stuff - totally disrespectful to them and that's all that's needed (actually takes a lot less than that sometimes) unless you look at them wrong and then well yup............ pine box.........

and chances are that you wouldn't get done for that either --- it's part of the personal safety laws - "your honour he drew his hand back as if to hit me so i got in first to protect myself your honour"

slap on the wrist and maybe a small fine and told to behave from now on :) you just gotta love english/welsh justice :)

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
over here being liverpool - north wales corridor - wouldn't even get a slap on the wrist for laying someone out cold for showing bad manners or total disrespect and the cops know that so they don't do anything about it.

failure to shake their hand implies that they've got really bad germs n diseases n stuff - totally disrespectful to them and that's all that's needed (actually takes a lot less than that sometimes) unless you look at them wrong and then well yup............ pine box.........
True dat.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The problem with "please put your hand back" is that it implies the other person has done something offensive by offering a normal gesture of goodwill.

Asking for somebody to make physical contact with you when they don't want to can be seen as offensive.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

and chances are that you wouldn't get done for that either --- it's part of the personal safety laws - "your honour he drew his hand back as if to hit me so i got in first to protect myself your honour"

slap on the wrist and maybe a small fine and told to behave from now on :) you just gotta love english/welsh justice :)

So in Wales you can assault people, interesting.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Asking for somebody to make physical contact with you when they don't want to can be seen as offensive.

Agreed, everyone culture has there belief and when when you are in a country where that culture its greeting is the proper thing to do for instance if I was in a country that used handshakes its formal and common courtesy but in a country that does no hand shake and instead a bow is the formal common courtesy there. I don't think they can be a better one because the different cultures have always decided what they think is good and bad

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

They're offering a handshake, which in western culture is a simple gesture of respect and courtesy. They're not trying to grab your crotch.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Personally. If I was really worried about it I would keep some purell in my pocket and shake the offered hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Until you explain that you have a unusual thing about physical contact, the person offering to shake your hand has no way of knowing that you wouldn't appreciate it. If you have explained this clearly and politely to a particular person and they keep trying to shake your hand, then they are disrespecting your boundaries and you may reasonably take offence if you choose to. If you haven't and you decide to take offence because they are trying to show their goodwill, then that is your problem.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't say someone is an *** but in different cultures if a handshake is formal use then give them a handshake to people who shake hands it is a big deal to cultures who do other forms of greeting then that is that. If you go to a place where everyone shakes hands and you don't refuse to shake hands it can be offensive.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So refusing a handshake is being an ***?
I'd characterize it as rude, unless for whatever reason you don't have a right hand to extend, and in most cases, based upon my experience with amputees, they will often good-naturedly hold out their left hand to shake are are quick to smooth over any awkwardness.

Unless you have an easily identifiable reason for avoiding it, shaking a hand that is extended is just good manners.

The only reasonable explanation for not shaking hands so far that I've read in this thread were Ballen's. I COMPLETELY understand ballen's statements, when he's in uniform. Makes total sense to me.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it rude to wipe you're hand before shaking, I know I've had sweaty hands before and I wiped my hands off once before shaking hands

Latest Discussions