Please put your hand back

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
PhotonGuy, just curious, do you tap gloves before sparring? Or after?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes, quite often I must say, I don't like making physical contact with people, especially other dudes. At times Im just not in the mood for physical contact or touching and that includes handshakes. I have the right to not make physical contact and I shouldn't have to sacrifice any of my rights just so that I'll be polite. Rights are more important than being polite. If somebody asks me to shake hands by putting their hand out they are asking me to forfeit my right and I find that offensive, just like I find it offensive when people try to hold doors for me, after all Im not a woman.
Stay out of sales. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If somebody gets to a door first and they hold it and expect me to go through it first I don't like that. There was this one time when I was even about twenty feet away from a door and this guy is holding it, waiting for me to go through it, even though I was that far away. If a person gets to a door first they should go through it first. I don't like having my back to people and when I go through a door first the person who is holding it is at my back when I go through. So if somebody gets to a door first they should go through it first, if they stand there holding the door, they're holding me up. Even some women today will get offended by that.
Shouldn't we loathe to take offense?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes, quite often I must say, I don't like making physical contact with people, especially other dudes. At times Im just not in the mood for physical contact or touching and that includes handshakes. I have the right to not make physical contact and I shouldn't have to sacrifice any of my rights just so that I'll be polite... If somebody asks me to shake hands by putting their hand out they are asking me to forfeit my right and I find that offensive...

You certainly have the right to decline a handshake or other physical contact as you desire. However, someone offering a handshake is not asking you to "forfeit your rights." They are engaged in a common social ritual intended to show good will. If you take offense at someone who is attempting to show their good will in the normal way for your culture, then that is all on you.

If you don't want to accept a handshake, I suggest you just say something like "sorry, I've got a thing about touching/handshakes." The other person may think you're a little weird, but it's better than being outright rude, which is how your "please put your hand back" line will come across.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You certainly have the right to decline a handshake or other physical contact as you desire. However, someone offering a handshake is not asking you to "forfeit your rights." They are engaged in a common social ritual intended to show good will. If you take offense at someone who is attempting to show their good will in the normal way for your culture, then that is all on you.

If you don't want to accept a handshake, I suggest you just say something like "sorry, I've got a thing about touching/handshakes." The other person may think you're a little weird, but it's better than being outright rude, which is how your "please put your hand back" line will come across.
If he says, "Put your hand back, and give us a kiss" it would help that guy to not want to shake his hand.... but then he might be wanting that kiss. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
By the way proton. You would get mercilessly mocked over here.

Just saying.

They are just pick on me quirks that you have.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
you'd just get properly shut out or decked for refusing a handshake where i come from :) it's bad manners and impolite it's also taken as a total lack of respect for the person as a another person....

just saying you might want to watch the reactions of the other person when you do it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, quite often I must say, I don't like making physical contact with people, especially other dudes. At times Im just not in the mood for physical contact or touching and that includes handshakes. I have the right to not make physical contact and I shouldn't have to sacrifice any of my rights just so that I'll be polite. Rights are more important than being polite. If somebody asks me to shake hands by putting their hand out they are asking me to forfeit my right and I find that offensive, just like I find it offensive when people try to hold doors for me, after all Im not a woman.

Neurotic, homophobic and sexist all in one post.
Wow.
Just... wow.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i thought that he was just having a crack at people that shake hands but hell he's taken it to a whole new level :( he needs to either back track and apologise in full for his comments or the moderators need to get involved.
OK Miss Brockovich, we will get right on that... ;)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never miss the chance to shake hands, you can tell a lot about a persons character. Is it firm or limp, full web or shallow, with eye contact or looking down, and, never never more then two pumps. Now on the same token there are times I don't want to tie up my right hand with that shake and there lies the element of discretion.
Then there are the times if I know a person real well that I by pass the shake and go right for the man hug, but, there are rules for that one also....

Bottom line. to each their own...............

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bottom line is you may have to initiate the fist bump, first, so as not to arouse suspicion that you won't shake there hand! There, problem solved. I am going to drink some more coffee, now. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
See I shake rather than fist bump. Because I think it is silly.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you don't shake hands....you can't have any fun like this...

Kelly McCann Shows You How to Handle Handshakes! - YouTube

I like the second one but the third sounds more painful

I'm not sure if a hand shake is more or less special than a bow. In any martial arts I've been involved with always uses bows but outside the dojo in my opinion a hand shake can be equal to a bow depending where you are at. I remember something about this in public speaking class using a good firm handshake was good for business and formal (something like that)

Latest Discussions