Please help me for my final year Research - Problems Associated with Martial Arts

Lilyana Nikolova

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to the forum and I didn't know where exactly to post, so I decided to start in this section. I am final year(undergraduate) Product Design student in University of Huddersfield and I need help with my major project research. I chose Martial arts as its an interest of mine. I would appreciate it if I get some help with my survey. Or if you could point me to more appropriate section for me to post.

I am trying to find problems or frustrations related to Martial Arts, before designing a product to solve one of the problems found.
Here is a link to my survey:
Problems Associated with Martial Arts
Feel free to give feedback on the survey.

Thank you in advance for your time!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of people here are not going to be able to fill out your survey, simply because it starts by assuming we only train in one art.
Personally, I also found it amusing that your brackets for how long we've been training are super small. Until 15 years. Apparently there's a big difference between 1 year and 4 years, but not between 15 and 50?

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
A lot of people here are not going to be able to fill out your survey, simply because it starts by assuming we only train in one art.
Personally, I also found it amusing that your brackets for how long we've been training are super small. Until 15 years. Apparently there's a big difference between 1 year and 4 years, but not between 15 and 50?
Looks like she fixed that. I saw a 35 year +

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to the forum and I didn't know where exactly to post, so I decided to start in this section. I am final year(undergraduate) Product Design student in University of Huddersfield and I need help with my major project research. I chose Martial arts as its an interest of mine. I would appreciate it if I get some help with my survey. Or if you could point me to more appropriate section for me to post.

I am trying to find problems or frustrations related to Martial Arts, before designing a product to solve one of the problems found.
Here is a link to my survey:
Problems Associated with Martial Arts
Feel free to give feedback on the survey.

Thank you in advance for your time!
Welcome. I hope we hear back when your paper is finished!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Survey allows you to complete it multiple times?
That doesn't have the potential to skew results at all. Nope. Not one tiny bit.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thats true of any survey. Most surveys, if i wanted to, i could fill out on different browsers, or on different computers/phone. A prevention could provide a slight barrier, but if someone wants to skew it they will.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tried to fill it out. But I left a few blank and it wouldn't allow me to do that.
Looks like I was expelled from school.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thats true of any survey. Most surveys, if i wanted to, i could fill out on different browsers, or on different computers/phone. A prevention could provide a slight barrier, but if someone wants to skew it they will.

There's a difference between being ABLE to sneak around and skew the results, and being INVITED to do so.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Changing the available answers on the survey after data collection has begun is also a no-no if the OP intends any serious data analysis of the results.

Giving her the benefit of the doubt, maybe this is just a preliminary attempt to get a feel for the field before formulating a real study.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changing the available answers on the survey after data collection has begun is also a no-no if the OP intends any serious data analysis of the results.

Giving her the benefit of the doubt, maybe this is just a preliminary attempt to get a feel for the field before formulating a real study.

I've done other surveys for students and they usually have the university's details on as well as the tutor involved etc, they also usually have statements about privacy etc ( we have strong laws, GDPR 2018 on that here even when the info is given anonymously). I don't think there's anything wrong legally etc with this one it's just not what I'd expect.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Completed.

There are problems inherent in gathering this kind of information, as "martial arts" is actually a pretty broad area. On the whole, I think you've got a good start. I wouldn't try to treat this as good statistics, as your sample will be very skewed. Sites like this tend to draw more experienced people, instructors, and serious students. You''ll be unlikely to hear much from the person who has only trained a year, and most MA students don't make it beyond a year. That means information used from this for marketing would be more likely to apply to marketing to long-term folks than to the majority of MA students. The exception to this is where you're marketing directly to the instructor, who offers a pro shop for their students.

For future study, you might consider having a branching survey that asks a different set of questions for instructors, because they'll have more to report than their own issues, and it would be useful to know when the issue reported isn't just an individual, but a group issue.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are all kinds of problems with the legitimacy of the sample, when the participant self-select, which is what any online survey is.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are all kinds of problems with the legitimacy of the sample, when the participant self-select, which is what any online survey is.
Yeah absolutely. Im not a fan of online surveys at all, but the one measure of preventing a computer from taking it twice isnt really going to fix it.

OP
Lilyana Nikolova

Lilyana Nikolova

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

First of all thank you all for the feedback! My final project will require a research on a much deeper level and a combination of Secondary and Primary sources to provide a better understanding of the problems (and if those are real problems). The idea of the initial survey was to just get a general idea. For us to proceed into further research we need to consider what primary access do we have to facilities or people in the chosen area. For me in this case, most likely, will be Tae-Kwon-Do. Currently I am trying to develop e a few different surveys to get aspects, as groups of people will have different problems (for instance one just for instructors/teachers, one for students and etc). What I am trying to say is it will take time and it is work in progress. My main goal is to find problems that are legit and good. If I skew results I won't be able to back up my data, because I won't find enough evidence. Furthermore to prove this problem I will need a recorded professional opinion (or more than one if I can get access to) to state in my report. What I am trying to do is understand things trough you as I am not a professional but you are. To be able to that I need to ask the right questions that is why I will probably refine surveys and do new ones a few times (I am not professional, not an expert in surveys, just trying to understand). I need people to help me understand what I don't know. I will most likely post again the new more focused survey on Tae-Kwon-Do soon. It is for whoever wants to help to help. I am also trying to find someone in my area with enough experience to interview. I noticed all the feedback you gave me for the survey and will use it to improve my next one. I am grateful for the support!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

First of all thank you all for the feedback! My final project will require a research on a much deeper level and a combination of Secondary and Primary sources to provide a better understanding of the problems (and if those are real problems). The idea of the initial survey was to just get a general idea. For us to proceed into further research we need to consider what primary access do we have to facilities or people in the chosen area. For me in this case, most likely, will be Tae-Kwon-Do. Currently I am trying to develop e a few different surveys to get aspects, as groups of people will have different problems (for instance one just for instructors/teachers, one for students and etc). What I am trying to say is it will take time and it is work in progress. My main goal is to find problems that are legit and good. If I skew results I won't be able to back up my data, because I won't find enough evidence. Furthermore to prove this problem I will need a recorded professional opinion (or more than one if I can get access to) to state in my report. What I am trying to do is understand things trough you as I am not a professional but you are. To be able to that I need to ask the right questions that is why I will probably refine surveys and do new ones a few times (I am not professional, not an expert in surveys, just trying to understand). I need people to help me understand what I don't know. I will most likely post again the new more focused survey on Tae-Kwon-Do soon. It is for whoever wants to help to help. I am also trying to find someone in my area with enough experience to interview. I noticed all the feedback you gave me for the survey and will use it to improve my next one. I am grateful for the support!
Thanks for the update, Lilyana Nikolova (that's a patronymic, isn't it?). We - here on Martial Talk - tend to get enthusiastic about people taking some serious approach to studying something to do with martial arts, so we chip in whatever observations we can come up with that we hope will help them improve their efforts. Please drop back in and let us know how your project progresses!

OP
Lilyana Nikolova

Lilyana Nikolova

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello again,

I have composed two different surveys for Taekwondo and I will appreciate if you point me to where would be appropriate to post them. I don't want to cause frustrations in the forum so I prefer to ask here. This is how my post it looks like:

Greetings,

My name is Lilyana and I am new to the world of Taekwondo. I just started a few months a go in my university club. I find it a remarkable martial art that I would like to explore in depth. To do so I would require your experience and help. I believe that as an individual in society, I am responsible for the progress and development of the world we live in. Each day, I believe people can carry out small actions that will improve our society. This is the main reason I pursued an education in Product Design.

Currently, I am a final year Product Design student at University of Huddersfield at the stage where I have to choose a topic for my project. This project is the first one we received with an open topic, it will require a whole year of research and development in the selected topic area. My fascination with this martial art and the opportunity given me by my course led me to choosing it as a research area. I believe that the greatest thing a person can do is use the abilities they possess in order to help. This idea motivates me to explore problems related to teaching and practising Taekwondo, as I want to spend my time making something of importance. By working on this area of study, I can provide a helpful impact and assist the community.

If it is possible, I would like to engage in an informal discussion with you, where we can explore this topic further. Our discussion would help me increase my comprehension on the matter at hand. If this is not possible, I would strongly appreciate any other help provided by you. For example, I have composed a questionnaire which you will find in this post. It would be much appreciated if you could spare a few moments of your time to answer the questions provided. Other forms of help include links to other useful organizations, people and/or reading materials - do not hesitate to include them in your response.

The main goal is to successfully deliver a solution to a viable problem related to teaching or practising Taekwondo. Anything that will help the process is worth exploring. I am contacting you because I wish to gather awareness and understanding of the problems related to this area. To do so, I need the knowledge and the experience you have. Your opinion is the one that matters the most because the greatest understanding is the one that comes from firsthand sources. I do realize that this process is complicated and has many different aspects, but progress is made gradually. In this case I am taking the first step, by seeking information on the different issues and frustrations your community is facing, highlighting their importance. Ultimately, this will provide me with an insight that I can further explore. Thank you for your time, I do look forward to hearing from you!

Problems associated with Teaching Taekwondo - Problems Associated with Teaching Taekwondo

Problems associated with Practising Taekwondo - Problems Associated with Practising Taekwondo

Kind Regards,

Lilyana

Latest Discussions