Pirates? Just pay the ransom!

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not that simple. We don't allow armed vessels in our own ports! They should arm themselves, but can they?
They're going to have to figure something out......because we lit a fire!

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tripoli! :EG:

Second the motion with a gallows and some hanging of the captured pirates to go with it.. ROE for Pirate vessels.. NO QUARTER! HAVOC! first thing they should know about it if a submarine is near by and has information or observation that it is a mother ship.. MK48 ADCAP war shot.. sink it.. Destroyer... engage and sink it in surface action. in short the OLD PIRACY RULES every NAVY used to USE!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And so it goes with everything. Wars are fought based on profitability as is crime on the open seas. You play you pay, is not the norm anymore, and this rewarding bad behavior thing is frustrating me to no end.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Second the motion with a gallows and some hanging of the captured pirates to go with it.. ROE for Pirate vessels.. NO QUARTER! HAVOC! first thing they should know about it if a submarine is near by and has information or observation that it is a mother ship.. MK48 ADCAP war shot.. sink it.. Destroyer... engage and sink it in surface action. in short the OLD PIRACY RULES every NAVY used to USE!

What is actually going to happen, however, is that the 'civilized' nations of the world are going to capture pirates like police officers, and transport them to Kenya for a fair trial, where they will then, if convicted in a civilian court, be incarcerated for 5 years, and if acquitted be released back to Somalia.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What is actually going to happen, however, is that the 'civilized' nations of the world are going to capture pirates like police officers, and transport them to Kenya for a fair trial, where they will then, if convicted in a civilian court, be incarcerated for 5 years, and if acquitted be released back to Somalia.
Housed and feed for 5 years, sounds like a deal to me, if I was a pirate.
icon7.gif

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

In most cases, I'd agree that that was the civilized thing to do. History shows that piracy is different, and I don't see the poor "pirates" of Somalia following these trials on CNN to see what punishments are forthcoming for them. Piracy has proven very resistant to eradication by methods other than eradicating pirates. I'd favour the shoot-on-sight principle. An editorial today pointed out that one must be careful not to get honest fishermen too, of course.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am all for paying a ransom to pirates or even terrorists at 700 grains per payment,

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Boys and Girls, we have been down this road on Piracy several times over history.
History shows that the only thing that has worked ever, is no more living pirates, no more Piracy. simple, effective, and proven time and time again.

THE OLD RULES OR ENGAGEMENT AND TREATMENT OF PIRATES WORK! KILL THEM! ON THE SPOT IF CAUGHT IN THE ACT....a FAST AND FAIR TRIAL AND SWIFT HANGING IN PUBLIC IF FOUND IN POSSESSION OF A PIRATED SHIP AND CARGO.

that works. and you will find that Marines and Navy Personal are very much in favor of that I think. ( not to mention the merchant sailors!)

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chinto, do yoy think the public is ready for having the dead bodies of pirates hanging in the harbor or their heads on pikes?

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds a bit too hardcore and graphic, but chances are, history will repeat itself and the policy of not bargaining with terrorists will also be applied to piracy .

j

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chinto, do yoy think the public is ready for having the dead bodies of pirates hanging in the harbor or their heads on pikes?

depends on where in the world you are... in the middle east, parts of Asia..provably yes, parts of Africa too... but Europe and the US.. nope.. but a good hanging yes. I guess not publically.. but still I would say the old rules worked several times.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Dutch recently liberated a boat taken by pirates and...they let them go.

Thats just not going to work.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
tell the politicians to keep it simple stupid... shoot them if caught in the act while they are in the act! hang them after if not shot.. or caught with the booty or ship.. simple.. effective too.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Dutch recently liberated a boat taken by pirates and...they let them go.

Thats just not going to work.

Now the Canadians just did the same. After engaging pirates attempting to take a Dutch tanker they released them. Since the victims were not Canadian they had no legal authority to hold them.

There needs to be a UN resolution on this quickly.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now the Canadians just did the same. After engaging pirates attempting to take a Dutch tanker they released them. Since the victims were not Canadian they had no legal authority to hold them.

There needs to be a UN resolution on this quickly.

My citizens or not. UN resolution or not. I don't take orders from the UN and I don't care if they are my citizens, I will defend all innocent peoples regardless of their nationality.

I firmly believe in the shoot first, shoot some more, and maybe ask a question or two approach. If the pirates know they will die if caught, they will look elsewhere to make money.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
The solution to this is easy: pirates need to learn to identify the Dutch flag. And Canada's is pretty easy to recognize too.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
My citizens or not. UN resolution or not. I don't take orders from the UN and I don't care if they are my citizens, I will defend all innocent peoples regardless of their nationality.

I firmly believe in the shoot first, shoot some more, and maybe ask a question or two approach. If the pirates know they will die if caught, they will look elsewhere to make money.

I agree 110%!