19th Century Piracy Law Revived, Used

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.military.com/news/articl...to-life-in-us-prison.html?ESRC=topstories.RSS

March 15, 2011
Associated Press

NORFOLK, Va. -- Five Somali men convicted of attacking a Navy ship were sentenced to life in prison on Monday, the harshest sentences yet for accused pirates as the U.S. tries to halt piracy off Africa's coast.
The federal prosecution in Virginia relied upon rarely used 19th century maritime laws and was the first piracy case to go to trial since the Civil War, when a New York jury deadlocked on charges against 13 Southern privateers.

Which is all good. But there is more...

But federal prosecutors argued during trial that the five had confessed to attacking the ship on April 1 after mistaking it for a merchant ship. The Nicholas, a frigate based in Norfolk, Va., was part of an international flotilla fighting piracy in the seas off Somalia.

Oh dear. Well, that's kind of a problem...

The government said three of the men were in a skiff that opened fire on the Nicholas with assault rifles, then fled when Sailors returned fire with machine guns.

I'll bet that was an 'Oh S&$t' moment!

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
hahaha.

Me and some of my other friends that were with me in the army fantasize about buying a fishing boat, and sailing it in the Indian Ocean, armed to the teeth.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wonder if they were in need of an undie change after that...

I think they got off easy....I still think that hanging til the seagulls pick the bones clean would be not inappropriate...

Latest Discussions