Patterns, Tul, Poomse, Kata etc.

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Reading through the WTF thread, I just wanted to know what peoples favourite patterns are to perform? Doesn't have to be TKD, can be from any MA you've ever studied. This isn't a discussion about the obsolescence of palgwe either :mst:

Personally from TKD I love Gae Baek, I'm still in the process of perfecting it, but it's bloody fun.

Although I don't know how to do it yet, Sanchin Kata from Goju-Ryu is something I really want to learn!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Palgwe Chil Jang, Taegeuk Pal Jang, Gae Baek, Keumgang and the Hwarang knife form.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Won hyo was just awesome (and experienced only a few changed from the ITA big wigs)

(for us it was blue belt)

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
From TKD I enjoy Taebaek:
From Shorei-ryu I enjoy Go Pai Sho:
(Micah Karns from our school competing with this form)
Kanku Sho:
(We do it slightly different at our school but she does a good job)
Sanchin (Couldn't find a video that resembles how we do it)

I am currently learning Shotokan forms which, out of the group I enjoy doing Empi:

For weapons I usually enjoy my sword form. Most of our weapon work is applying weapon "theory" to our empty hand forms.

However, I am looking forward to learning this one:
(The name escapes me...This is done by our team member Emma Teo)

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am currently learning Shotokan forms which, out of the group I enjoy doing Empi:

While in Chiropractic school in Illinois, my fellow student that I worked out with was from Sharkey's Dojo, and he taught me Empi. We practice a version of it in MDK TKD, called Wanshu, but I have to say I like Empi better.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Pyung Ahn Oh Dan (Pinan/Heian Go Dan) is my favorite basic form. Bassai (passai, palsek), Jin Do (Chinto), and Kang Song Kun (Kusanku/ Kanku) are my favorite advanced forms.

As posted above, I really enjoy Empi Sho.

And if I were to through in another, it would probably be Rohai.

Pyung Ahn Oh Dan:

Bassai:

Chinto:

Kang Song Kun:

Wansu/ Empi:

Rohai:

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Goju-ryu: Kururunfa
[yt]3HGX7L6VIcU[/yt]

Matsubayashi-ryu: Chinto (can't get the Jim Sindt one to show up, so here's another one which unfortunately cuts off the lower body at times)

[yt]QBU0aq8N12M[/yt]

Old Style Jhoon Rhee TKD: Toi Gye
[yt]osfJEn9caC8[/yt]

As for aesthetically pleasing simplicity, I submit that all the techniques you need to defend yourself in a fight is contained in Won-Hyo or Pyong Ahn Sa-dan.

Won-Hyo
[yt]277AK33zd20[/yt]

Pyung Ahn Sa Dan
[yt]3Iu2SHGpq40[/yt]

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A question for those of us who practice forms from multiple styles - do you perform them all in the same style with identical stances, chambering, and blocking/striking? Or do you practice them differently?

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A question for those of us who practice forms from multiple styles - do you perform them all in the same style with identical stances, chambering, and blocking/striking? Or do you practice them differently?

I have only learned one form from another style, and I did my best to perform it how it was taught to me. Fortunately there were only minor differences between them.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
While in Chiropractic school in Illinois, my fellow student that I worked out with was from Sharkey's Dojo, and he taught me Empi. We practice a version of it in MDK TKD, called Wanshu, but I have to say I like Empi better.
They may have shown you Empi Sho,which is different from the Shotokan Empi (well not entirely different). I like the Empi sho as well.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I practice them differently. When I do my TKD forms I am not as low as I am with my Shorei-ryu forms. This is also true when I practice my Shotokan forms. I do not tend get as deep in my stances.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is also true when I practice my Shotokan forms. I do not tend get as deep in my stances.

That's interesting. Which type of Shotokan do you practice? Most of the JKA people go fairly deep on their stances. I am a fan of Asai-ha Shotokan which tends to be more relaxed and dynamic than classic JKA.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And to answer my own question, I strive very hard to keep things separate. For example, the punching technique in Matsubayashi is different from Goju-ryu which in turn is different from what I learned in tae kwon do. I'm not always able to keep things from my main style bleeding into the others, but intellectually I recognize the differences and I will explain them to my students as appropriate.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's interesting. Which type of Shotokan do you practice? Most of the JKA people go fairly deep on their stances. I am a fan of Asai-ha Shotokan which tends to be more relaxed and dynamic than classic JKA.
From what I understand, we practice the older Shotokan system prior to the change to JKA. So we are not as deep in the stances that you will see in more current Shotokan.

OP
RobinTKD

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I see that you try to keep them separate, but have you experimented consciously with trying to make use your 'main' style in the different styles?

Also, do you know the names of these kata? The first i believe is Goju-Ryu, the second Shotokan.

Edit: I've found out that the first is Seipai, and the second is Nijushiho. It's worth mentioning the people performing the Kata's too, the first is Akihito Yagi, son of Meitoku Yagi. The second is Tatsuya Naka.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I see that you try to keep them separate, but have you experimented consciously with trying to make use your 'main' style in the different styles?

To an extent. I've mentioned before in this forum that I teach a TKD class at my parish. It's accurate to say the TKD is influenced by some ideas from both shorin-ryu and goju-ryu karate, and I freely tell the students this. The distinction of information is important to me, but I daresay 100% of the students there don't care a bit about what came from where. They're just interested in the training itself.

Latest Discussions