Patterns, Tul, Poomse, Kata etc.

OP
RobinTKD

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The distinction of information is important to me, but I daresay 100% of the students there don't care a bit about what came from where. They're just interested in the training itself.

That's a shame. To me, one of the most interesting aspects of TKD is the fact that it is still relatively young, and it's roots are not only traceable but can still be learned as separate Martial Arts.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's accurate to say the TKD is influenced by some ideas from both shorin-ryu and goju-ryu karate, and I freely tell the students this.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this topic such as what ideas you have in mind and whether or not they came directly from Shorin and Goju or from the Shorin and Shorie kata that are practiced in Shotokan (and which were included in Gen. Choi's 1965 text).

Pax,

Chris

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One example is the concept of bunkai kumite sets found in both shorin-ryu and goju-ryu karate. They're essentially 2 man kata that explain the omote bunkai, or open, surface level application of the solo pattern. I've added bunkai kumite to our tae kwon do studies by simply converting the first three General Choi hyung to movements on a single linear line. This allows an attacker to act out the partner role with the defender. I find this exercise adds immediate relevance to basics such as the down block and lunge punch in Chon-Ji. Students just perform better when they practice with someone else rather than just in the air, and the two man set affords additional drilling in timing, distance, and stepping.

I may tinker with the other Choi hyung in the same way when we get good enough at the first three.

OP
RobinTKD

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One example is the concept of bunkai kumite sets found in both shorin-ryu and goju-ryu karate. They're essentially 2 man kata that explain the omote bunkai, or open, surface level application of the solo pattern. I've added bunkai kumite to our tae kwon do studies by simply converting the first three General Choi hyung to movements on a single linear line. This allows an attacker to act out the partner role with the defender. I find this exercise adds immediate relevance to basics such as the down block and lunge punch in Chon-Ji. Students just perform better when they practice with someone else rather than just in the air, and the two man set affords additional drilling in timing, distance, and stepping.

I may tinker with the other Choi hyung in the same way when we get good enough at the first three.

That sounds like a good idea, i may suggest something like that to my instructor, as it's hard to get some of the younger kids to perform the Hyung at 100%, maybe with someone else attacking them it will help.

TKDinAK

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I just passed the test for green belt a week and a half ago. I have yet to wear my new belt in class though as I'm taking a break to heal some strained stomach muscles (over-training) and a sepated/bruised rib(charged a red belt while sparring in the test and got nailed with a side kick). Anyway, got my first real glimpse of Won hyo (my next pattern) and thought it looked like a fun one. Turns out that it happens to be a favorite of many of my fellow students. Interesting that it was mentioned in this thread also.Been working through Won hyo's movements during my break in training, and I'm loving it.

Latest Discussions