"Pasa!" kiyap?

sekiryu

White Belt
Reaction score
I was watching a Korean Taekwondo movie, "Dolryeochagi", and I noticed that most of the kiyaps/kihaps/gihaps/whatever sounded like "PASA!"

I also noticed a few of the blackbelts at my school doing the same thing. Anyone have some insight on this? I need to develop my kiyap, but a standard "ha!" just doesn't fit me well. I'm used to Kendo, where I yell a certain word (Men, Kote, Dou).

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In general terms, the actual sound does not matter all that much. It is the rythmic expelling of air at the application of energy that matters.

Some schools or styles have specific syllables for specific actions or types of actions (Katori for example) but I have found that my very generic use of "To!" on cuts with kiai works fine.

EDIT: That kiai is pronounced "Toe" and is the Japanese for "sword". Not all that imaginative for a sword attack maybe :D.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In general terms, the actual sound does not matter all that much. It is the rythmic expelling of air at the application of energy that matters.

Some schools or styles have specific syllables for specific actions or types of actions (Katori for example) but I have found that my very generic use of "To!" on cuts with kiai works fine.

EDIT: That kiai is pronounced "Toe" and is the Japanese for "sword". Not all that imaginative for a sword attack maybe :D.

Yeah... what Sukerkin said! It really doesn't matter what sound you use as long as it is monosyllabic and not obscene - I used to know a man who's kihap was "oy!" - the funny this is, I'm Jewish, and he's not. Mine tends to be more along the lines of "sup" (/soop/), which is Korean for "go".

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, sometimes the sound does matter. I was taught, and teach my students some specific sounds that help shape the breath and synchronize the body motions. I'm not talking any mystic stuff -- I'm just use specific sounds that help keep the right "tone" for the movement, like maybe "ka-pow!" to go with a parry/strike sequence.

But if your teacher is doing this -- you'll know it!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's the theory behind the differences in the Katori kiai - the sound is supposed to help shape the appropriate body responses to attack, defence or movement.

Myself, I'm not sure that I 'buy' it. One things for certain ... it's really irritating when you're training in the same (echoing) hall as them :lol:.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I normally use "eye" but sometimes I stutter on it so then I switch to "Nai" instead. Some people have really long, drawn out kiyaps but mine is very short and sharp.

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
When I first took TKD, the kiyop Master Kim wanted us to use was a short, sharp "Yut!" Even though it was almost 15 years since that first aborted attempt to learn TKD, I find myself still doing that. Of course, Mr. O doesn't really care exactly what we yell, just so long as we're not actually saying "Kiyop!" :D

dleeret

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My instructor's kiyup is "hatche" and other higher rank blackbelt students say "basso". I've always wondered but never asked the origin. Anyone know?

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Back in college when I was in a WTF club we'd go to tournaments and I'll be darned if at every one of them there wasn't some guy who would yell out loudly and repeatedly (as in on EVERY attack): "BATCHOH!"

I mean, what is that?

Pax,

Chris