Packing heat

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
They (the "safety devices") are horseturds and splinters. The only thing they do effectively is raise the price of firearms by several hundred dollars. This certainly keeps them out of the hands of honest poor people and is a great hassle for everyone. Considering that the legislators who propose this sort of scheme almost always have long records virulently opposing private firearms ownership it makes sense.

They are a very very bad idea from the standpoint of safety.

1. They give a false sense of security. "I have this special device. The gun is safe," is probably the cause of most firearms accidents.
  2. Guns are simple so that they will work. Add something that takes time, requires a special ring or is made of actual electronic or mechanical parts rather than magic pixie dust and you will make the gun less reliable. Less reliable means less reliable when it's a matter of life or death.
  3. It will be impossible to share a gun with anyone in your family or to sell it without going through expensive, intrusive rekeying.
  4. It will not prevent stolen guns from being used any more than car alarms and battery lockouts ended auto theft.
  5. The stated rationale comes from the old "it will just be taken away and used against you" lie. We have decades of research including studies from the NIJ on the subject. It happens roughly the square root of nothing for regular citizens. It happens more often to police officers because they are doing very dangerous things like approaching and wrestling with violent suspects. The rest of us are just concerned with getting away or making the bad guy run away.

CityChicken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Being someone who has never carried but is considering training and applying for a CCW, is carrying a big hunk of metal not a pain in the ***?

I mean, I don't even like to wear JEWELRY ...

How much of a risk is there to it going off if you fall, bump something hard?

I'm thinking about the CCW just to be able to keep one in the vehicle.

FWIW, I am leaning toward a Glock as my dad had/has one and I’ve heard a lot of good things about them (I read the Glock thread a minute ago, too, btw).

I've been carrying for about a month now. Outside the waist, kydex paddle holster. I'm just now getting used to it.

If you're considering a Glock, take a look at the Springfield XD. Much like a Glock, but it also has a grip safety like a 1911 plus the trigger safety and striker guard.

Chances of going off with all those safeties is very tiny. But all mechanical devices can fail, so the one in your skull is the best safety. My favorite quote on this issue: "Keep your booger hook off the boom switch". :) Good luck! And as with martial arts, PRACTICE!

GLShooter

White Belt
Reaction score
One option is the fanny pack route. In some areas of the country (Phoenix comes to mind) wearing am extra jacket or clothing is almost unbearable and in many crowds would make you "stand out".

The use of them is quite common here in Arizona by everyone from young adults to senior citizens and does not wave the "gun" flag like an extra jacket would when it is 120 degrees.

I read an article recently that recommended using a colored (non-black) fanny pack and even going so far as sewing like a team sports logo or some such on it to play down the possibilities to the average observer that you are packing.

I've been using an Uncle Mikes pack for about 3 months and am carrying a Star PD. The weight is distributed evenly and you don't even notice the pistol is in there. I have some back issues and quit carrying a wallet in my hip pocket several years ago and this is the best of both worlds for me. Being a retired LEO I can carry anywhere in the US and this allows a pretty unobtrusive alternative.

Greg

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
A few of these gadgets ("key" rings, fingerprint scanners, etc) to prevent unauthorized users from firing a given gun have been floating around for several years, at least in development or test stages. What I've seen hasn't impressed me, and I don't think many of them are likely to see much use -- unless some legislators decide to mandate them. The simple truth is that any gun that's intended for defensive use has to be carried or stored in a somewhat unsafe manner. Why? Because the safest way to carry or store a gun is unloaded, and physically prevented from loading, like with a gun lock. But -- if you want to defend yourself with the gun, it needs to be loaded with one in the chamber already; only in the world of TV & movies do you have time to rack a slide or load the gun...

I can virtually guarantee that until there's some major technical advancement, you won't see these measures used on service weapons for law enforcement. When we need our guns -- we NEED our guns and we can't risk having the gun "locked out" because of technical glitches.

Yeah, cuz, y'know, once all privately owned guns required electronics to work, the government would NEVER consider an EMP or jamming signal to render them all useless prior to any mischief they might plan, oh heavens, no, perish the thought.

Latest Discussions