EDC; sticking with what I got

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A fellow carpet layer was held up by a thug with a knife while walking to his truck for tools.
When I first started laying carpet, a city cop came in to check up on me in the evening. He told me I need to leave before dark. When I told him I wouldn't quite be done, he waited till I finished and escourted me out of the neighborhood.
A non english speaking contractor got mad at a tile installer. Waited for him after dark . Came at him while he was carrying tools to the truck and slashed the tile guy's inner thigh with a boxcutter.
I'm not peranoid, just aware, alert, and inforned.
A gun wouldn't be much use in either of those situations, unless they Gave you ample notice of their intent, in sufficient time to a) out your tools down and b) get you gun out before you get stabbed/ cut,

I'N both cases a Hammer in your hand would be I faR more use,

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
A gun wouldn't be much use in either of those situations, unless they Gave you ample notice of their intent, in sufficient time to a) out your tools down and b) get you gun out before you get stabbed/ cut,

I'N both cases a Hammer in your hand would be I faR more use,
Mabey, but I now have another option that I bet you don't.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mabey, but I now have another option that I bet you don't.
If I'm possession of " tools" I have multiple option ,

Clearly guns are some what lacking if you at close quarters and the thing is in a holster,

At one point in my life I had to walk from my office to my car carrying a wheel brace, , I never felt over exposed

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
If I'm possession of " tools" I have multiple option ,

Clearly guns are some what lacking if you at close quarters and the thing is in a holster,

At one point in my life I had to walk from my office to my car carrying a wheel brace, , I never felt over exposed
I can't bring a lug wrench with me everywhere. I can carry my pistol to the grocer, movie theatre, church, work, and my in-laws house and nobody looks at me funny, cause it's concealed. In Michigan, carrying a baton or simmular item in your car "for self defense is a crime. It's up to interpretation of a law officer. Stupid laws.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Note to self....don't do this.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks,
There is a fundamental mindset difference that is apparent. Given that, I strongly urge people agree to disagree, especially when considering what someone should or should not carry in a different country. If you cannot do this, I strongly suggest leaving the issue alone.

In all cases, please keep the conversation polite and respectful. You have been warned.

jks9199
Administrator

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What more irresponsible than laying carpet with a killing machine strapped to the small of your back ?

Since when is it not responsible to carry a defensive tool that is properly holstered yet readily accessible? Sounds like a prudent way of exercising a Constitutional right.

Anyway, to the OP; I would suggest keeping the G20 as a HD or woods carry gun while thinking about purchasing a pocket pistol for your work situation. A Ruger LCP or even an LC9/LC9s/EC9s or something similar would be a good choice. For pocket carry I personally prefer a firearm that has a manual thumb safety and a good holster. You can pick up a good Ruger LC9/LC9s/EC9s around $200-$250 mark and an LCP can be had for less than $200. A Taurus PT709 Slim makes a good pocket pistol and they are less than $200.

You can check out Armslist.com in your area to see what is available on the used market. I've had very good results using Armslist.

In terms of caliber, folks are often comfortable with this or that caliber and that's fine. To be totally straight-forward, in terms of terminal ballistics amongst the service calibers...they're all about the same. Would a G20 10mm be more effective than a Ruger LCP .380? Well sure, it would have some distinct advantages. But then you can carry that LCP in ways you can't carry the G20. An LC9 in 9mm is even better and has one more round capacity. Same with the PT709 Slim. Better to have a smaller firearm that can be more easily carried in a specific circumstance than a larger one that presents all sorts of challenges.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Note to self....don't do this.

I spoke with the gentleman that posted that video originally. He knows the man that shot himself personally as he's local. It was a Glock 43 and the holster was a G-code. If you notice, the man 'looks' the Glock into the holster like he should and isn't doing anything blatantly stupid. What happened was a piece of his undershirt got dragged into the holster when he holstered the G43. When he bent over the piece of shirt material pulled on the trigger and caused the discharge. Such is the danger of a striker-fired pistol in the AIWB position. This is one of the reasons, the main reason I advocate for a manual thumb safety (and taking the time to properly train with a pistol that has a manual thumb safety) if one is going to AIWB or pocket carry a pistol. A long DA trigger pull is another level of safety as well. A manual thumb safety is just as quick to draw, disengage and fire as not having one since it is trained to be part of the draw. It is a gross motor skill so not an issue to accomplish, even under stress. And it offers massive bonuses in terms of safety when reholstering the pistol with is where a lot of AD/ND happen.

Latest Discussions