EDC; sticking with what I got

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have had my alien gear cloak tuck holsters for a week now. I have been carrying my glock 20. I staryef with it on my hip in the 3 o-clock position. But my tool pouch either blocks it, or makes it stick out. So I went to small of the back. Doesn't work well. It sticks out every time I bend over, which I do alot in carpet installation. So, I went to apendix. The holster comes with a 15 degree can't. That made for a pretty goofy draw from apendix, however, the company makes it easily adjustable. I went with more of a 0 degree cant. Besides all the jokes about packing big "firepower" and the "I couldn't handle a gun pointing at my prize possesions" it seems to work alright. The holster I have is leather backed with a moulded shell. Once the leather softened, it was fairly comfortable for shoving a large pistol in my pants. I do think the holster will wear out fairly soon, as it takes alot of streach as I am constantly bending over and crawling arould on the floor. But nothing in my job ever lasts long. I may consider a pistol that's thinner and a tad smaller as it just might allow the holster more life(smaller one should have less bend and pry to it right?, I need to experement with that. All in all, the holsters are nice and do their job.
P.s. if you read the alien gear holster manual, I didn't, it apherently tells you to apply blue loctite on the holster anchor screws after the desired retention is desired. I did not. I had two of four fall out, luckly the holster comes with extras.

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, that Glock 20 is a big gun. Definitely need to look for a compact model.

Glad to hear the Alien gear holster is working for you. Let us know how much wear it takes.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have had my alien gear cloak tuck holsters for a week now. I have been carrying my glock 20. I staryef with it on my hip in the 3 o-clock position. But my tool pouch either blocks it, or makes it stick out. So I went to small of the back. Doesn't work well. It sticks out every time I bend over, which I do alot in carpet installation. So, I went to apendix. The holster comes with a 15 degree can't. That made for a pretty goofy draw from apendix, however, the company makes it easily adjustable. I went with more of a 0 degree cant. Besides all the jokes about packing big "firepower" and the "I couldn't handle a gun pointing at my prize possesions" it seems to work alright. The holster I have is leather backed with a moulded shell. Once the leather softened, it was fairly comfortable for shoving a large pistol in my pants. I do think the holster will wear out fairly soon, as it takes alot of streach as I am constantly bending over and crawling arould on the floor. But nothing in my job ever lasts long. I may consider a pistol that's thinner and a tad smaller as it just might allow the holster more life(smaller one should have less bend and pry to it right?, I need to experement with that. All in all, the holsters are nice and do their job.
P.s. if you read the alien gear holster manual, I didn't, it apherently tells you to apply blue loctite on the holster anchor screws after the desired retention is desired. I did not. I had two of four fall out, luckly the holster comes with extras.
Not wishing to accuse you of paranoia, but is it really necessary to be packing heat whilst laying carpet ? I Know you may have customer disputes, but shooting them dead may not be in your best interests of your trying to build good customer relations,
Couldn't you just have it in your tool box of you thinK an attack whilst cutting the corners is likely

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not wishing to accuse you of paranoia, but is it really necessary to be packing heat whilst laying carpet ? I Know you may have customer disputes, but shooting them dead may not be in your best interests of your trying to build good customer relations,
Couldn't you just have it in your tool box of you thinK an attack whilst cutting the corners is likely
Same reason I'd carry anywhere else. I can't really predict when, where, or how something may happen.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Same reason I'd carry anywhere else. I can't really predict when, where, or how something may happen.
Well you can predict whatT hat with really great accuracy. Using standard risk assessment technique, you can't of course have a 100% accuracy, as there are quite possibly a small number of old ladies, who lure carpet fitter to the house with the sole intention of butchering them with a meat clever as soon as they bend down, however the gun won't help much in these circumstances and fitting your work Hat with wing mirrors would be more useful

veritasAequitas

Green Belt
Reaction score

You could go for a Glock 29.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wasn't aware that you were in a position to answer for him, or have you got the same affliction
Things get burried in the toolbox. The toolbox gets full of fuzz, dust, and little pieces of yarn. There is the occasional spilled adhesive and laytex sealent. Not really condusive to a good working firearm. State law would see it as improper storage. It is a serious offense by the gun owner if someone gains access to an improperly stored firearm and uses it to commit a crime. It is a very serious state offense if a minor gets access to an improperly stored firearm. Don't remember all the specifics, but there are brochures about it at the gun store.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Carrying a firearm in a toolbox is instead of on your person is irresponsible.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What more irresponsible than laying carpet with a killing machine strapped to the small of your back ?

Actually, yes.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's because you will not have the toolbox in hand at every moment of your work day. Firearms need to be kept in check, under the control of the person carrying them at all times. All times, every second of every minute.

Man, I hate guns.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I prefer carrying at the 3 o'clock to 5 o’clock position. 3 o’clock is the most comfortable and provides a great draw.

I hate appendix and small of back positions

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
@jobo - from what I gather OP's job isn't necessarily domestic fitting in lived in houses - more like new builds or redevelopment projects.

These are places where you're not dealing with your customer being around all the time, and being paid on piece rate means (if he's anything like me) staying around and being the last to leave so you get more work done, more income and essentially more free time later...

Robberies from job sites are common over here too, people go in after hours and see what the trades didn't take home that day.

The difference is, here they might be armed with an ugly face and bad breath...

In that situation, in a place other than here, I'd likely want to carry too.

Practical maintenance issues aside, it'd be incredibly irresponsible (to the point of stupidity) to leave a firearm in a toolbox - I take it you've never done site work? As Buka said, you don't have your toolbox in hand or even next to you all the time, and I'd extend that to you not having your toolbox in sight most of the day (for a carpet fitter, they probably visit it a couple of times per shift to grab a new blade or an adhesive refill). You think leaving a firearm utterly unattended is more responsible than having it attached to your body?

While I don't personally fully understand the EDC aspect in normal life (going to town, working in an office) a job site, especially before or after hours, is a higher risk environment.

There's an application of your risk assessment model...

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well you can predict whatT hat with really great accuracy. Using standard risk assessment technique, you can't of course have a 100% accuracy, as there are quite possibly a small number of old ladies, who lure carpet fitter to the house with the sole intention of butchering them with a meat clever as soon as they bend down, however the gun won't help much in these circumstances and fitting your work Hat with wing mirrors would be more useful
A fellow carpet layer was held up by a thug with a knife while walking to his truck for tools.
When I first started laying carpet, a city cop came in to check up on me in the evening. He told me I need to leave before dark. When I told him I wouldn't quite be done, he waited till I finished and escourted me out of the neighborhood.
A non english speaking contractor got mad at a tile installer. Waited for him after dark . Came at him while he was carrying tools to the truck and slashed the tile guy's inner thigh with a boxcutter.
I'm not peranoid, just aware, alert, and inforned.

Latest Discussions