Overthinking in sparring?

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Over-thinking while sparring is becoming a huge problem for me. I get caught up worrying about what kicking combination to throw, foot work, movement, is my bad arm dropping (I'm working on compensating for a new limitation I've gained after a labral repair), whats my opponent gonna do? etc. It's causing me to not be very aggressive and stand there like an idiot, becoming a target. At 3rd gup in Moo Duk Kwan, I feel this shouldnt be an issue with me. Regardless of how long I was gone in recovery or how much discipline I lost. Anyone have any tips on how I can fix this?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah. Just throw yourself at the other guy and whatever you do, you do. Also, dont talk yourself into it. Just do it, and if it doesnt work for you then try something else.
Optionally, you know how you feel when your opponent does something and you stand there becoming a target? Do that to him.

enthusiast

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
maybe it's because you have never had a guy punching you or kicking you before, I mean for real. Reaction time is a huge deal in sparring and tournaments, being in a real fight before gives you some knowledge on what to do next time. Don't worry, after several sparrings, your muscles will get accustomed to what you are thinking as long as you to shadow boxing everyday(or at least regularly)

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I may not really be qualified to give advice, as I don't have the most sparring experience, but I think I have a good analogy for you.

A lot of adults don't learn foreign languages very well. The simple reason being that they over-think it. You want to get everything right; the choice of words, the tense and conjugations, the particles, the pronunciation. You think of what you want to say in your native language, and then try to find the correct way to accurately express it without error in your second language. Usually, this just results in you being lost for words.

But what about your native language? You don't think about what you're going to say very much, usually. You just say it. It comes out instantaneously the moment you need it because you are accustomed to it. You don't even think about it. You don't worry about what to say or how to say it - you just trust that it will come out properly when you open your mouth.

I think that learning a martial art is a lot like learning a language. You have to become accustomed to it to the point that it's second nature. When you're training - or, studying, that is the time to slow down and take the time to check your grammar and pronunciation, and practice those things. But you practice them with the intent of becoming intimately accustomed to them. When you learn a grammar form, for example, don't just use it a few times in a text-book exercise and expect to be able to use it on the fly. Try using it in as many ways as you can; in as many contexts, and with as many words as you can. Do that until it becomes second nature. That way, when you need it outside of practice, you won't stop to think about it -- it'll just be there.

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
Over-thinking while sparring is becoming a huge problem for me. I get caught up worrying about what kicking combination to throw, foot work, movement, is my bad arm dropping (I'm working on compensating for a new limitation I've gained after a labral repair), whats my opponent gonna do? etc. It's causing me to not be very aggressive and stand there like an idiot, becoming a target. At 3rd gup in Moo Duk Kwan, I feel this shouldnt be an issue with me. Regardless of how long I was gone in recovery or how much discipline I lost. Anyone have any tips on how I can fix this?

Don't spend anytime thinking about what to specifically throw. When you are free-sparring, concentrate on your opponent's behavior and how he is moving to attack you (what is his intent?). Is he going to kick or punch you & from what direction? Let your opponent's attacks guide your counter attacks; whenever somebody goes to strike you, some part of their body will be exposed & that's where you want to strike with your closest weapon. Hit him every time he moves in on you to attack. If you miss the opportunity to intercept him as he moves in, then hit him as you side step or backup. If he is a head hunter, and you're not allowed to kick his supporting leg, sweep, or grapple, then use a stop kick to check his hip on the intercept, or dodge and hit him as soon as his kicking leg lands back on the ground. If he is experienced, he may try feints on you, hit him anyways LOL. If he is not aggressive, then try using feints to make him create an opening for you. And remember - if you can control the distance, then you can control the fight.

Below is an example of drill that illustrates how to intercept, because of the art you are training in, raise the kicks to waist level or higher (due to sparring rules).

[video=youtube_share;1Tgv0JfTMvo]http://youtu.be/1Tgv0JfTMvo[/video]

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pick a target and go for it. It may help to practice by beating the hell out of a heavy bag. (don`t strike your partner too hard however)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're describing a common problem and one I would look for rent about where you are in your training. You're actually starting to be able to think about strategies and which techniques to use. But your toolbox is currently so big and so full of shiny new tools that's hard to figure out which one to use when. Practice is really the only solution, so you develop a trust in yourself and techniques and then you won't think so much. But don't make the mistake of just going in and flailing, keep developing the strategic thinking and awareness.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another tool to help you develop this is to artificially limit your techniques. Take one or two and only use those in your next sparring session.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score

While I see this in your sparring, I think you are being to hard on yourself. Experience is the best teacher, and as JKS stated above, you've got enough experience to think about strategy, but not enough experience to use it seamlessly. You have enough "new shiny tools in your tool box," but not enough experience to use them at the appropriate time without thinking (only reacting).

The recommendation to artificially restrict your techniques can be beneficial. Heavy bag combination training will help too.

Your footwork is improving nicely, your guard needs some work (hopefully you didn't wake up with a black eye this morning), and you just need more time to develop combinations that will work seamlessly for you.

Keep it up, we'll spar again on Thursday night. ;)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another tool to help you develop this is to artificially limit your techniques. Take one or two and only use those in your next sparring session.
The above by jks9199 is exactly what you should do. Just pick one simple technique and only use that. Then during the next round pick a different tech and only use that. Then finally only use the two techniques during a round. You will soon be simply acting and reacting with flow vs. thinking and doing nothing. The best practical advise given.

martial sparrer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think you may be afraid to get hit.....my sparring partner has a small fear of getting hit....and he hesitates way too much....the other thing is that you may need to practice your combos and kicks so they surface when you apply them.......don't think too much.....go with the flow but keep a keen attention on what your opponent is going to do......and when you make a move.....make it.....

enthusiast

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
^he's actually quite right. If you think to much about getting hit then your reaction to his movements will be slower and you wouldn't be able to attack much as you should be doing. as the saying goes "you will know much about a person by his reaction when he gets hit". You should concentrate on attacking him and don't try to anticipate his moves too much, you should be focused so you can evade/block his attacks while giving good combos of your own.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think you may be afraid to get hit.....my sparring partner has a small fear of getting hit....and he hesitates way too much....the other thing is that you may need to practice your combos and kicks so they surface when you apply them.......don't think too much.....go with the flow but keep a keen attention on what your opponent is going to do......and when you make a move.....make it.....

Trust me when I saw that Devin is not afraid to get hit.. . it is the problem of reaction without thought that is holding him back at this point. As many have stated above, IMO, it boils down to more practice on combinations and reactive training (restrictive tech sparring will help with that).

JonWal

White Belt
Reaction score
Great thread actually as its something I was doing on my first few months of Sparring and I suppose still do on some levels. The best thing I found was to drill a core group of moves maybe 3-4 and stick with those as 'go to' when you find yourself struggling. Then add aditional moves the more confident you get in your sparring.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
In addition to restricting your own techniques, you may be able to restrict your partners techniques at the same time. Basically, you just need to be aware of what the most common responses are to your techniques and then play the percentages.

Sent from my SHV-E210K using Tapatalk 2

martial sparrer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think its important to stay active too.....because my partner hesitates I had the time to "think" fake low, roundhouse high....and then I did it.....I did not have to worry about him doing much.....even if it is fakes or feints.....head fakes etc.....keep them guessing

superkizuna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
maybe it's because you have never had a guy punching you or kicking you before, I mean for real. Reaction time is a huge deal in sparring and tournaments, being in a real fight before gives you some knowledge on what to do next time. Don't worry, after several sparrings, your muscles will get accustomed to what you are thinking as long as you to shadow boxing everyday(or at least regularly)

+1

Latest Discussions