Training Outside of Class?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Compare sprinters to most marathoners - sprinters are typically more muscular by a significant margin. And, though I was pretty fast back in my 20's, I've never been fast enough to outrun most NFL running backs, tight ends, etc. in a 100-yard sprint.
I was Nike clocked at a 4.38 going into college but was only good for 40-50 yards. I played in the secondary so the short distance speed was most important. I was never much at long distance runs. When I went through the police academy we had to run 1 3/4 miles in 10 minutes and 5 miles in 50 minutes. I had a terrible gate and struggled more with the 5 mile run.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok, the quad,,,,,,,, the quad doesNt pass the knee, the articulation of the lower leg is done by tendons, the quad is firmly fixed to the lower femur, explain how movement of the knee makes the quad longer?
Straight off the Mayo Clinic site:
The quadriceps femoris (/ˈkwɒdrɪsɛps ˈfɛmərɪs/, also called the quadriceps extensor, quadriceps or quads), is a large muscle group that includes the four prevailing muscles on the front of the thigh.

It is the great extensor muscle of the knee, forming a large fleshy mass which covers the front and sides of the femur. The name derives from Latin four-headed muscle of the femur.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Straight off the Mayo Clinic site:
The quadriceps femoris (/ˈkwɒdrɪsɛps ˈfɛmərɪs/, also called the quadriceps extensor, quadriceps or quads), is a large muscle group that includes the four prevailing muscles on the front of the thigh.

It is the great extensor muscle of the knee, forming a large fleshy mass which covers the front and sides of the femur. The name derives from Latin four-headed muscle of the femur.
Yes,, so explain how MOVing the lower leg lengthens It, when it doesNT bridge the knee

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was Nike clocked at a 4.38 going into college but was only good for 40-50 yards. I played in the secondary so the short distance speed was most important. I was never much at long distance runs. When I went through the police academy we had to run 1 3/4 miles in 10 minutes and 5 miles in 50 minutes. I had a terrible gate and struggled more with the 5 mile run.
I've always been a slow runner for distance. Even when I was running a lot (for me, that meant more than 50 miles a week), I never got down to a 7-minute mile. On the soccer field, I was one of the fast ones.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes,, so explain how MOVing the lower leg lengthens It, when it doesNT bridge the knee
Quadriceps tendon connects to the patella, which connects to the fibula via the patellar tendon. When the leg is bent, tension on the tendons transfers to the muscle.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Quadriceps tendon connects to the patella, which connects to the fibula via the patellar tendon. When the leg is bent, tension on the tendons transfers to the muscle.
o was asking him to back up his statement on the function of the quad, if your answering for him, what you've out doesn't answer the specific question and what you have put is incorrect, its straightening the leg that put tension on the muscle not bending it putting tension on the tendons, bending it puts tension. On the hamstring

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
o was asking him to back up his statement on the function of the quad, if your answering for him, what you've out doesn't answer the specific question and what you have put is incorrect, its straightening the leg that put tension on the muscle not bending it putting tension on the tendons, bending it puts tension. On the hamstring
That's backwards. When the quad muscle group tenses, it straightens the leg. When the leg bends, tension is placed on the quad muscle group. It's a simple effect.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was one of the rare ones. I was able to sprint and distance run at a competitive pace. I'm not naturally built for distance so I had to "convert" my body to be better at running distance. My first 5k race time was 30 minutes. By the end of the year the time dropped to 25 minutes. After 3 years of competing (2 years of training ). My time dropped to 21 minutes. Had I taken it more seriously I would have been able to drop it even lower. For me, Cross Country running (our races were through woods, hiking trails and grass fields) was my training for track season, where I was a sprinter

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was one of the rare ones. I was able to sprint and distance run at a competitive pace. I'm not naturally built for distance so I had to "convert" my body to be better at running distance. My first 5k race time was 30 minutes. By the end of the year the time dropped to 25 minutes. After 3 years of competing (2 years of training ). My time dropped to 21 minutes. Had I taken it more seriously I would have been able to drop it even lower. For me, Cross Country running (our races were through woods, hiking trails and grass fields) was my training for track season, where I was a sprinter
There are those gifted to do both. In high school, our star all three years my brother was there (one year ahead of me), was our best at track (short distance) and cross country (longer distance). He was also one of the star soccer players. And a really nice guy, though I hate him for being so talented. :mad:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's backwards. When the quad muscle group tenses, it straightens the leg. When the leg bends, tension is placed on the quad muscle group. It's a simple effect.
i know and you said the tendon places tension on the muscle and not as it is that the muscles places tension on the,tendons

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are those gifted to do both. In high school, our star all three years my brother was there (one year ahead of me), was our best at track (short distance) and cross country (longer distance). He was also one of the star soccer players. And a really nice guy, though I hate him for being so talented. :mad:
ha ha ha.. sounds like my brother. Good at football, Great in wrestling, Good in Judo or BJJ (I can't remember which one he does). Excellent with people (kids and adults), Ran a marathon, rock climbs, does the mud races, excellent shape. Mountain bikes. He's pretty much a very active person and seems to become more active as he gets older. Even though he's my younger brother I look up to him and get inspired by a lot of what he does and has accomplished. As a teen and young adult he was the opposite. He went through a really rough spell in his 20's and I'm just glad he made it through. And it's good for me to have someone to look up to as well.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can use a "single head" to train a lot of stuff at home.

Square bag group throwing.

Train your arm.

Double heads training.

Develop leg lifting power.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know and you said the tendon places tension on the muscle and not as it is that the muscles places tension on the,tendons
When the muscles is in use, that is correct. Not when the antagonistic muscle is bending the knee. Then, as the lower leg is pulled down, the tendon places tension on the muscle.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here are some home training clips that one of my students does.

I like the way he puts a coAt on Bob foR added realism, that move he is practising will work very well if he is ever attacked by a 5ft guy with no Arms and terrible ballance
When the muscles is in use, that is correct. Not when the antagonistic muscle is bending the knee. Then, as the lower leg is pulled down, the tendon places tension on the muscle.
The Quad is the antagonistic muscle,, it doesn't bend the knee it straightens it ?????

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the way he puts a coAt on Bob foR added realism, that move he is practising will work very well if he is ever attacked by a 5ft guy with no Arms and terrible ballance

The Quad is the antagonistic muscle,, it doesn't bend the knee it straightens it ?????
You are correct. I was using the literal version of "antagonist" (roughtly, opposing), which is confusing in a kinesio context.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was one of the rare ones. I was able to sprint and distance run at a competitive pace. I'm not naturally built for distance so I had to "convert" my body to be better at I

I had a terrible gate running for distance. Had a good sprinters stride. I have a very good friend who looks like a gazelle and could run all day. He really helped me out. The farthest I have ever ran was a 10K and finished way back in the pack.

Latest Discussions