Training Outside of Class?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a terrible gate running for distance. Had a good sprinters stride. I have a very good friend who looks like a gazelle and could run all day. He really helped me out. The farthest I have ever ran was a 10K and finished way back in the pack.
Back in my teens and 20's it felt like I could run forever, but my distance running never developed any speed. I often ran 7 miles at a time in training, and sometimes more than 10 miles a day. But always at roughly the pace I'll be using when I need a walker.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here are some home training clips that one of my students does.

Looks like he could use one of these so he can get the leg left or a post with a light weight on the end. The base was screwing him up and I bet it wasn't light either.

I like the 3 stars arm conditioning. I use a staff to do my solo conditioning. Similar to the Train your arm video I like the sound of bone hitting wood.

I have a very good friend who looks like a gazelle and could run all day.
Funny that you mention this animal. It's the same one I based my meditation on. I would visualize myself as a gazelle, but not so much the animal but the ease at which it runs. They don't have a lot of muscular mass so the running always looks effortless. So it was that imagery that I focused on. The more I focused on that animal the less I thought about my own running.

I still do visualization to this day, just not as much animal visualization (not yet anyway.)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some home training clips that one of my students does.

I wonder if something like either of these (with a jacket attached somehow) would work well enough for the first exercise.
10110cf_1.jpg
10184k_1.jpg

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The issue for the throwing dummy is you may spend 80% of your training time trying to lift it up from the ground and make it standing. Also if you try to lift it up in fast speed 60 times daily, you may hurt your elbow joints big time.

Lifting t up 60 times would probably be the best value of the exercise,

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have injured my elbow joints 2 times in my life by lifting the throwing dummy up and made it standing. Today the dummy's arms and waist are all broken. I just use it as a hanging striking dummy.

hang_throwing_dummy.jpg
You're a beast. Hanging your prey from trees lol.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have injured my elbow joints 2 times in my life by lifting the throwing dummy up and made it standing. Today the dummy's arms and waist are all broken. I just use it as a hanging striking dummy.

hang_throwing_dummy.jpg
How heavy is it ? , if it's supposed to be person heavy, they you should be able to help that back on to its" feet" with little problem, may be some dead lifting instead of that silly stick with a weight on the end would help

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How heavy is it ? , if it's supposed to be person heavy, they you should be able to help that back on to its" feet" with little problem, may be some dead lifting instead of that silly stick with a weight on the end would help
It's the fast lifting motion as shown in the clip that put pressure on the elbow joints.

If you put 90 lb weight and try to bend your arms in "fast speed" 60 times daily, you will hurt your elbow joints the same way.

curve_arms.jpg

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's the fast lifting motion as shown in the clip that put pressure on the elbow joints.

If you put 90 lb weight and try to bend your arms in "fast speed" 60 times daily, you will hurt your elbow joints the same way.

curve_arms.jpg
Well lift it slowly then, 90 lbs is that all it is? that's like throwing a12 Yo, about, And your only lifting half of that at most, split between two arms, that a 22lbs per arm,I curl far more than that,

You need to go on a weekend ninja toughening up program or just buy a blow up doll

Last edited:

Latest Discussions