Over 50 Tell the truth? what do you pack for an edge

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with the rule of not telling others.

Back in the day when I bounced, this guy was out front and would not leave or go inside. I asked him a few times and then told him I would make sure he would leave.

His friend said , "Do you know this guy? Well he is a third degree in TKD and he just won earlier today his sparring tournament."

I walked over to the guy and his friend and put my arm around the guy and said to him, "I now know what techniques you have been taught. I know that you are just now lerning the cross elbow for one of your forms. While I am bigger than you are and you know nothing about me other than I get paid a small amount of money to stand out front and deal with people like you." I then said, "I think you should leave now before you get hurt. Also talk to your friend and have him stop writing checks you may not be able to cash."

He looked at me and walked away to his vehicle with his friend trailing behind asking him why did they have to leave. ;) :D Using mind over body.

I am not 50, and I pack a pen. It allows me to write down the number/license plate of a vehicle, to get a phone number from someone or to give my phone number to them.

Of course if I am out and about then the exchange of phone numbers with the opposite sex is done with just typing it into the phone and calling and then saving. ;)

There is the egg shell consideration which means that anyones' head could be possible damaged by the energy it takes to crack an egg shell.

I usually do not give legal advice, but unless you are quote a specific Fed or State law, you should probably say in general ..., or in some cases I have been told, so it is understood to be heresay and not actual legal points.

Now I am not a lawyer, but a couple of lawyers and some police and a judge have told me that even if a younger person attacks me, given my size it would be hard pressed to claim they were attacking with deadly force.

Even in my bouncing days, I was hard pressed to convice ADA's and the police that being attacked by four or more people was the reason I used physical defense and they got hurt.

Sport and self defense is something I will not go into here.

New tech is good, but I like old and reliable as well.

And I have heard some guys over 50 also pack a little blue pill for an edge.
On not telling others. Someone told me once that the biggest advantage a black belt has in a fight is that his opponent doesnt know he is a black belt.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be 50 July next.

I don't value money as much as I value my life. Take my wallet. I will make more money while Bad Guy mugger is dying in an alley from a hot shot of heroin he bought with my cash. My life will remain good; his will remain miserable, brutish, and short. I go home to the love of my wife and family; he lives in squalor and will die in it. Perspective comes with age.

Bill, I agree with everything you said except this one thing. This is a fine example of a victim mentality, and it does not work. Following this advice is how I lost an eye. I've told that story before on this site. It's also the reason 9/11 happened, and why it was, to some extent, our own damed fault. You cannot hijack an airplane with a box cutter if 15 people jump on you. We, as a society, have spent way too much time teaching ourselves, and our children, to be victims. That needs to stop. Go along just long enough for them to be distracted. Hell, hand them your wallet and drop it; their eyes will reflexively follow it to the ground. Then kill them, or at the very least disable them.

Had I been given this advice when I was a teen, I'd still have two eyes. And America would not have seen 9/11.

Latest Discussions