Over 50 Tell the truth? what do you pack for an edge

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunatley I am not going to say because the first rule of self defense is give no warning! I find the most amusing thing in films or that some peopel still adhere to the myth of any marital artists giving the advance warning I just want you to know I am a black belt? fine now they just pull thier gun and shoot you.

I am hoping some of you who don't care or may think no one will know who you are will share?

Sad truth is in our society instead of venerating age in general the young and strong preay on it. For many over 50/60 an atack by a larger younger by 20/30 years person is deadly force due to the possibility of loss of life or at least loss of income for thier family that can come from the complications of severe contact or injury.

Sad also is those who are older being trained many times are only given sport related self defense skills which at best on the street are minimal even if young and healthy.

But I want to stay on target here with all the new technology it brings new meaning to the term
OOOOHHHH it the little things in Life. Tell me wuch you got if you dare?

OP
Master Dan

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok I thought so? none of you want to tell? There is the risk of if you some day have to use one of your toys and you wind up charged or in court some dilligent fellow pulls up your post and says hey look here he was just looking for a victim ect.

So tell us in the third person my friend? or I have heard?

Ok here is an easy one you can always have a cane nobody is threatened and cops don't pull you over walking with a cane. I love the canes made my Cane Masters and they work! Now thats all you get out of me.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Ok I thought so? none of you want to tell? There is the risk of if you some day have to use one of your toys and you wind up charged or in court some dilligent fellow pulls up your post and says hey look here he was just looking for a victim ect.

So tell us in the third person my friend? or I have heard?

Ok here is an easy one you can always have a cane nobody is threatened and cops don't pull you over walking with a cane. I love the canes made my Cane Masters and they work! Now thats all you get out of me.

I carry a Glock 20.Sometimes a Glock 29. :rolleyes:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The very dull answer to what I 'pack for an edge' as I near my 50th year is the experience to know when a circumstance, person or area is one to avoid.

Something we've touched on in this forum before is the often woeful lack of awareness training to go along with the Chop-suey fighting moves.

'Reading a room' is much more important for your safety than having a killer roundhouse kick ... unless you are Chuck Norris of course :D.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am not quite 50, but I do carry a quality pen which can double as a yawara stick. I practice pain compliance techniques with it regularly.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Wait, I have to be over fifty before I can start carrying toys? I think that is a silly rule.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll be 50 July next.

The 'added advantages' I pack?

I know what pain feels like and it doesn't bother me anymore. You'd be amazed how many people stop when they get hurt. I won't. That's an advantage. Comes with age.

I have a mountain of responsibilities. That means I am slow to fight, but if I fight, I am determined to win. Not for pride, prestige, or ego; but because I have to provide for my family. I am going to go home tonight, damn muggers. Both reticence to risk my life and determination to win if I have to are learned with age.

I know that 'fighting fair' is for sucks. If I have to fight, I'm taking out Bad Guy's knees or eyes and he won't work right anymore - ever. I'm vicious because it means it's over quicker. My lack of concern for how 'fair' I fight comes with age.

I don't value money as much as I value my life. Take my wallet. I will make more money while Bad Guy mugger is dying in an alley from a hot shot of heroin he bought with my cash. My life will remain good; his will remain miserable, brutish, and short. I go home to the love of my wife and family; he lives in squalor and will die in it. Perspective comes with age.

I have nothing to prove. I'm not the toughest guy on the block, never was, and have no need to try to prove something that isn't true anyway. Cut me off in traffic? Be my guest. Tailgate me? I'll pull over and let you by. Make a rude remark in public? I can't be bothered to respond. There is nothing about 'minding my own business' that requires me to fight, unless someone actually tries to hurt me and I cannot escape it. A realistic self-assessment comes with age.

I don't look like a threat. I am not aggressive-looking, nor does my belly make anyone think I might put up any meaningful resistance. When I sweep the leg and break the pelvic bone, it's going to be mighty surprising. Bald head, grey beard, and big belly comes with age. I call it 'camouflage' you see.

Yes, I pack a lot of advantages. My cojones no longer clang together when I walk and shoot out sparks. I don't wear a chip on my shoulder as I stomp down the street. I do not look like a threat. I avoid problems. If I have to fight, a little pain isn't going to stop me from stomping whatever sticks out until it doesn't stick out anymore. I have to go home, because my family needs me. And my life is going to remain good and Bad Guy mugger's isn't.

Plus, I've got this big red "S" under my shirt, but I don't show that to people.
icon10.gif

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Thanks for all the "serious" (obvious-to most here who are managing to reach 50) answers, guys. I shoul point out, though, as I have in the past, that I'm not likely to be beset upon by 20 to 30 year olds, except in class-and most of them still aren't larger-or stronger!-than I am.

Besides, unlike Bill, I'm much too scary looking, even for some hardened ex-cons.....:lfao:

On the other hand, where I spend most of my time, I carry 'cause of these guys:

Attachments

• $black_bear_inflowers.jpeg
    17.8 KB · Views: 137
  • $Mountain-lions.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 125

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A teddy bear and a cute widdle kitty? Gee elder you're getting soft in your age. :lol:

The only thing I can legally carry is my 3" folder. I am prohibited from my right to bear/carry a firearm because I was young and stupid and got arrested on a 3rd degree felony and the state of Texas does NOT expunge records. So I couldn't even BUY a gun (personal choice would be Ruger P-89) if I wanted to.

Also what I carry is my experience, real life awareness training and of course my empty hands.

In my jeep however I do have a 7" blade (type used by campers and hunters) that is right where I can get it, so woe to the carjacker or any other idjit that tries something and it's within my reach.

I'm a peace loving man... just don't **** with me.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The very dull answer to what I 'pack for an edge' as I near my 50th year is the experience to know when a circumstance, person or area is one to avoid.
This, combined with a visible of display of confidence. Body language does more to stop fights before they start than anything else.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This, combined with a visible of display of confidence. Body language does more to stop fights before they start than anything else.

I agree that body language is important, but here's a more important one that almost never gets mentioned. DO NOT BE THERE.

I don't get into punch-ups in bars because I don't go to bars. If I were to be in an area where people were getting puffed up and ready to fight, I'd LEAVE.

Most fights are caused by TWO people who both want to fight. When one person doesn't, there is generally a way to avoid the fight, and almost always, it is to pick up your heels and walk away.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
A teddy bear and a cute widdle kitty? Gee elder you're getting soft in your age. :lol:

Truth is, I hope I never have to shoot a bear-I love them, and every encounter I've had with them has been rather wonderful-if scary.

Cats on the other hand-ugh!-don't know that a pistol's gonna do me much good there most of the time, anyway.....

On the other hand, if I'm driving the Porsche in Albuquerque (or the Cadi, most of the time now-it seems that the older I get, the smaller sports cars feel :lfao: ) I'll bring along a pistol in case of carjacking.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Truth is, I hope I never have to shoot a bear-I love them, and every encounter I've had with them has been rather wonderful-if scary.

Cats on the other hand-ugh!-don't know that a pistol's gonna do me much good there most of the time, anyway.....

Cougars tend to get their way ;)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I am not quite 50, but I do carry a quality pen which can double as a yawara stick. I practice pain compliance techniques with it regularly.

Oh, and since the TSA stupidity has gotten completely out of hand, I can't recommend these and their ilk enough-or a good old Mont Blanc, which I'm never without.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Perhaps but they're good to have in order to shove into the cat's mouth and pull the trigger should the cat get the jump on you (they are ambush type predators) . You might be scratched up and bitten... but kitty is dead... and mounted on your wall or a rug.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Perhaps but they're good to have in order to shove into the cat's mouth and pull the trigger should the cat get the jump on you (they are ambush type predators) . You might be scratched up and bitten... but kitty is dead... and mounted on your wall or a rug.

Well, yeah-I'd rather have one than not with 100-250 lbs. of terminal allergy clinging to my neck, but the thing about them is that you hardly ever see them. In 15 years, I've seen parts of them going into the brush (leg and tail, or just tail) twice and seen them entirely from a bigger distance twice.First time was looking down at one in a canyon-first thought:Cool!, at which point said cat took a jump up a rock towards me, probably about 30 goddam feet closer. Second thought,not cool!:lol:....

....third thought, Back to the goddam truck! :lfao:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unfortunatley I am not going to say because the first rule of self defense is give no warning! I find the most amusing thing in films or that some peopel still adhere to the myth of any marital artists giving the advance warning I just want you to know I am a black belt? fine now they just pull thier gun and shoot you.

I agree with the rule of not telling others.

Back in the day when I bounced, this guy was out front and would not leave or go inside. I asked him a few times and then told him I would make sure he would leave.

His friend said , "Do you know this guy? Well he is a third degree in TKD and he just won earlier today his sparring tournament."

I walked over to the guy and his friend and put my arm around the guy and said to him, "I now know what techniques you have been taught. I know that you are just now lerning the cross elbow for one of your forms. While I am bigger than you are and you know nothing about me other than I get paid a small amount of money to stand out front and deal with people like you." I then said, "I think you should leave now before you get hurt. Also talk to your friend and have him stop writing checks you may not be able to cash."

He looked at me and walked away to his vehicle with his friend trailing behind asking him why did they have to leave. ;) :D Using mind over body.

I am hoping some of you who don't care or may think no one will know who you are will share?

I am not 50, and I pack a pen. It allows me to write down the number/license plate of a vehicle, to get a phone number from someone or to give my phone number to them.

Of course if I am out and about then the exchange of phone numbers with the opposite sex is done with just typing it into the phone and calling and then saving. ;)

Sad truth is in our society instead of venerating age in general the young and strong preay on it. For many over 50/60 an atack by a larger younger by 20/30 years person is deadly force due to the possibility of loss of life or at least loss of income for thier family that can come from the complications of severe contact or injury.

There is the egg shell consideration which means that anyones' head could be possible damaged by the energy it takes to crack an egg shell.

I usually do not give legal advice, but unless you are quote a specific Fed or State law, you should probably say in general ..., or in some cases I have been told, so it is understood to be heresay and not actual legal points.

Now I am not a lawyer, but a couple of lawyers and some police and a judge have told me that even if a younger person attacks me, given my size it would be hard pressed to claim they were attacking with deadly force.

Even in my bouncing days, I was hard pressed to convice ADA's and the police that being attacked by four or more people was the reason I used physical defense and they got hurt.

Sad also is those who are older being trained many times are only given sport related self defense skills which at best on the street are minimal even if young and healthy.

Sport and self defense is something I will not go into here.

But I want to stay on target here with all the new technology it brings new meaning to the term
OOOOHHHH it the little things in Life. Tell me wuch you got if you dare?

New tech is good, but I like old and reliable as well.

And I have heard some guys over 50 also pack a little blue pill for an edge.

OP
Master Dan

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the rule of not telling others.

And I have heard some guys over 50 also pack a little blue pill for an edge.

Well I am glad I started this thread great comments from all of you. Anyone who has trained for decades should understand all the basic prevention and yeh yeh I have all these skills?? Well some day your going to be sick, or just out of surgery or just on your way to the gas station and up jumps the Devil and your life is flashing in front of you.

Yes thankfully I have red instantly the best way to handle and doing nothing or calming a person is preferable not using any more force than necessary but sometimes random stuff happens I plan ahead every trip to store or on a plane and another location. In general I don't want to hurt anyone even when they deserve it and certainly not anymore than you have to but certain toys old and new can end it and prevent injury that is obvious and liable even if they start it or attempt to rob. Material things can be replaced let them go but the older greyer you look the more a target you become for people just think you have no value? But past a certain age and depending on health you cannot aford to play drop them like a bad habbit and fade away.

Oh and the Blue Pill? a very wise man in the John once told me the only thing it was good for was to keep him from Peeing on his shoes???

You all have brought a big smile to my face Peace Out

Latest Discussions