Other Martial Art Teaching Taekwondo

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There were/are different ways to perform Taeguk forms.

I kept up with little changes KKW made over the years.
But circa maybe like 2009 you would've never seen someone perform the Taeguk forms as they are performed today.
The sport poomsae overhaul totally revamped the forms for competition, but there are still many ways to train the forms.
I like sport poomsae, but I wouldn't consider there to be one official, correct way to train the forms.
There's just one correct way to do it if you want to win gold.

The videos I've seen range from being very recent (last couple of years), to old (posted to youtube back when 360p was the highest resolution available), to really old (posted on what looks like a home camcorder from the 80s or 90s in terms of quality).

Sport poomsae guidelines are just modern competition standards.
It's not Taekwondo gospel or something.

The videos I've watched have been for KKW, not World Taekwondo.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The videos I've seen range from being very recent (last couple of years), to old (posted to youtube back when 360p was the highest resolution available), to really old (posted on what looks like a home camcorder from the 80s or 90s in terms of quality).

The videos I've watched have been for KKW, not World Taekwondo.
I'm interested to see some of the older footage you've found.

Yeah, KKW is in alignment with sport poomsae, but it wasn't always this way.
The new way is just new. Lol they used to say do it differently. And I'm not talking video here. My memory has faded more than I'd like to admit, but forms and training were different when I first visited KKW.

Someday soon there will be another new way. I don't view it as old vs new or one being better, one way's wrong and the other is now right. WT and KKW inevitably change over time. I keep training and picking up new ways I like as they come.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I say sport poomsae REVAMP because it really became a unifying standard. All laid out and organized.
Earlier in my training, new changes would trickle down in my circle just depending on who was in Seoul last.
from things like
"Hey, they're saying no more kihap here." to
"Everybody's doing narrower horse stance now." lol
It was exciting to me to see things changing.

Naturally, not everyone was hip to the changes or just didn't feel like changing how they taught, so different schools would have differences in forms. Some guys were still teaching front stance instead of walking stance for a certain movement, or still doing that kihap in that one form.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I say sport poomsae REVAMP because it really became a unifying standard. All laid out and organized.
Earlier in my training, new changes would trickle down in my circle just depending on who was in Seoul last.
from things like
"Hey, they're saying no more kihap here." to
"Everybody's doing narrower horse stance now." lol
It was exciting to me to see things changing.

Naturally, not everyone was hip to the changes or just didn't feel like changing how they taught, so different schools would have differences in forms. Some guys were still teaching front stance instead of walking stance for a certain movement, or still doing that kihap in that one form.

I made a post a while back about "changes" to the KKW forms. I believe it was @Dirty Dog , who is a LOT more experienced than me, who said there were never any changes. There were corrections to Masters who were teaching the forms wrong. (Correct me if I'm wrong in attributing that comment).

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
TKD in the WT/Kukki realm has certainly been in a state of flux. I would agree it is calmer than it has been in decades but as many have said, they are in heavy discussions about changing the forms again. I hope it is answer to the commonly voiced flaws in the forms for anything other than competition.
That said, I have heard a great many application explanations from sources I would consider equivalent to the KKW gospels since they are high in the KKW government structure.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That said, I have heard a great many application explanations from sources I would consider equivalent to the KKW gospels since they are high in the KKW government structure.

Are those sources available to the public? If so, where can I find them?

Like I said, I've done the research, and the best answer I found was in The Taegeuk Cipher, where it was outright stated (and I'm paraphrasing) "this is what I learned from a Master in the Philippines, he said it was the lost applications that the KKW doesn't teach."

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a post a while back about "changes" to the KKW forms. I believe it was @Dirty Dog , who is a LOT more experienced than me, who said there were never any changes. There were corrections to Masters who were teaching the forms wrong. (Correct me if I'm wrong in attributing that comment).

Well, I said that is the Official Kukkiwon Position on changes. I don't really buy it, but it's their position. Personally, I think never changing the forms would be a mistake. I dislike the roboticness, and it detracts from functionality.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It was a bit more than just a different focus though.

From what I've seen, the ITF stances are wider, longer and lower than those in kkw, even with the same name.

For instance, an image search for "walking stance" gives me:

View attachment 22620

Which to us is more like "standing around not taking any notice stance". At a push, it's almost a vertical stance, sort of.

And:

View attachment 22621

Which is a "correct" walking stance - for us.

If I went into a kkw school and started teaching a walking stance as in the second pic?

I get the walking stance description and even get the intent. It is a WT sparring derivative. What I do not get is how so many KKW schools do not teach the differences in purpose of a walking stance and front stance. Way, way too much "do this stance in X portion of the form" with no other explanation. I am very concerned it is quickly heading toward saturation into Big problems for TKD.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I said that is the Official Kukkiwon Position on changes. I don't really buy it, but it's their position. Personally, I think never changing the forms would be a mistake. I dislike the roboticness, and it detracts from functionality.

Hmmm...I wish you would have made that nuance more clear when you said it to me last time.

I get the walking stance description and even get the intent. It is a WT sparring derivative. What I do not get is how so many KKW schools do not teach the differences in purpose of a walking stance and front stance. Way, way too much "do this stance in X portion of the form" with no other explanation. I am very concerned it is quickly heading toward saturation into Big problems for TKD.

In my experience it comes up when people try to do a technique on another person, but doesn't come up in the forms.

Latest Discussions