Other Hobbies

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one waiting on pins and needles for Skyrim to release. My favorite video game of all time is Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, followed closely by Fallout 3. I can't wait.

I also have two big dogs. We had a third, but had to put him down this past Summer when his cancer became too advanced. He was a Great Dane/Boxer mix. About 120 lbs of awesomeness and lived to the ripe old age of 14.

We have two other large mutts now, both about 8 years old. Ajax is a great pyranese/lab mix and Apollo is a Newfoundland/lab mix. There are other breeds in there, but these are, as best as we can tell, the dominant ones.

I have always liked dogs, but have a particular love for the big, slobbery, lounge around on the couch breeds. This comes out particularly strongly when I see them in a shelter. Knowing that large breeds don't get adopted as readily, they tend to find their way home with me. :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one waiting on pins and needles for Skyrim to release. My favorite video game of all time is Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, followed closely by Fallout 3. I can't wait.

I also have two big dogs. We had a third, but had to put him down this past Summer when his cancer became too advanced. He was a Great Dane/Boxer mix. About 120 lbs of awesomeness and lived to the ripe old age of 14.

We have two other large mutts now, both about 8 years old. Ajax is a great pyranese/lab mix and Apollo is a Newfoundland/lab mix. There are other breeds in there, but these are, as best as we can tell, the dominant ones.

I have always liked dogs, but have a particular love for the big, slobbery, lounge around on the couch breeds. This comes out particularly strongly when I see them in a shelter. Knowing that large breeds don't get adopted as readily, they tend to find their way home with me. :)

Those aren't dogs! Those are horses!!!!

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The more bassists the better. I knew you were a degree'd muso, but not that you were a fellow bassist. :)

I've been taking my bass playing more seriously of late, having taken on a couple of students again also. I've decided to finally take up double bass and have found a very reputable classical instructor. Now I just need to get myself a good bass and a decent bow. After that, I'm off to tackle some Oscar Pettiford bass solos.

Asides from MA and music, I'm also an old school pen and paper rpg'er (Hârn, Tekumel, C&S) with some more current rpgs thrown in. Pass the Cheetos and the Mountain Dew:

My wife and I also enjoy the Xbox and are trembling in anticipation for Skyrim.

Asides from that, we have two large dogs (English Mastiff and a Great Dane) that require a fair amount of time. Totally worth it, though.

Best regards,

-Mark
Cool another one, I just started playing bass guitar about 4 months ago. Been a brass player for years.
Just ordered all the parts to build a CMOY amp with bass boost, so I can play and not bug the neighbors.
Also into driving equipment, heavy or other wise. Making crop circles is a nice way to relax after, fixing, designing and building computer networks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been a scuba diver since about 1991 or so and even spent a short stint as an instructor, tho I've not been active for a few years. My wife and I are going to spend a week in Bonaire to get some diving in, right after Thanksgiving.

I also do some metalwork in silver and bronze. I've got a line of animal-inspired sterling silver pendants that I sell on Etsy.com, under the seller name flyingcranedesigns.

In addition to the pendants, I build hilts and scabbards for swords, in bronze and wood. I don't have a lot of time for it lately, but I still try to keep my hand in it. I've got a couple projects that have been mostly sitting there for months at a time, but I keep whittling away at them.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I'm a huge Morrowind fan. I still like to play it, as ancient as it is. The Smithsonian is after my copy. They want to put it right next to a flint axe.

We lost our 13+ year old brindle Presa Canario last Christmas, the day after we brought the Dane puppy home. That was a miserable day. He was the finest dog I have ever known... terrifying in appearance, noble and gentle of heart, and wise in the way that only an old dog can be.

The Great Dane, in contrast, is a hellion, as Dane puppies are wont to be. We're best buds, but he drives me nuts. :)

:) You and my wife both. The Presa was a rescue. A guy down the street has two Great Pyranese. Impressive beasts. His leash is a rope about as big around as my wrist. :) Now, if only the Great Dane will grow up and become a couch potato. He loves his couch, but only for about 0.6 seconds minutes at a time.

Best regards,

-Mark

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
now y'all got me wanting to play more and pick up an instrument.
I never get anything done that way!
:(

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The more bassists the better. I knew you were a degree'd muso, but not that you were a fellow bassist. :)

I've been taking my bass playing more seriously of late, having taken on a couple of students again also. I've decided to finally take up double bass and have found a very reputable classical instructor. Now I just need to get myself a good bass and a decent bow. After that, I'm off to tackle some Oscar Pettiford bass solos.

Asides from MA and music, I'm also an old school pen and paper rpg'er (Hârn, Tekumel, C&S) with some more current rpgs thrown in. Pass the Cheetos and the Mountain Dew:

My wife and I also enjoy the Xbox and are trembling in anticipation for Skyrim.

Asides from that, we have two large dogs (English Mastiff and a Great Dane) that require a fair amount of time. Totally worth it, though.

Best regards,

-Mark

I used to be more of a guitarist, but I have since been seduced :D

My main instrument at Berklee was guitar (you have to focus on a single instrument) but I played some bass on the side. I had an (independent of school) bass teacher for awhile, I was determined to actually be a bass player and not just a guitarist who knows the notes on the neck, if ya know what I mean. My bass rig (Washburn, Trace Elliot) was stolen from a Boston jingle shop in the 1990s, and after that I didn't have much desire to keep it going. :(

But, things change. A friend of mine asked me to play guitar in his band....I get there to find he is playing guitar, his buddy is also playing guitar, and I'm playing guitar. I see a Squier bass on the wall of the practice space and ask if I can play, they said sure, and I caught the bug all over again. So, now I play an Ibanez Craigslist Deluxe ;) and a borrowed Hartke. Small steps but its so good to be playing again :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My main instrument at Berklee was guitar

Berklee! Nice. I was gonna pursue my Master's in jazz at North Texas but decided that one student load was more than enough. And the exchange on the US dollar wasn't favourable to Canadians going the 'States at the time. Bass is fun. It's a not a chord till the bass player decides what the root is. I knew a couple of guys that went to Berklee in the early 90's, lucky buggers.

Best regards,

-Mark

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
now y'all got me wanting to play more and pick up an instrument.
I never get anything done that way!
:(

No time like the present! Just remember to tell yourself it's easy! There are only 12 notes. Never start thinking "this is hard", say to yourself "it's unfamiliar". It makes a big difference on how your brain assimilates the information.

Best regards,

-Mark

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use to play guitar and the Mandolin and I came darn close to going to Berklee in Boston....that is why today I play the Didgeridoo...

I've been listening to this recently...

[video=youtube_share;455wX991b8w]http://youtu.be/455wX991b8w[/video]

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Cool

140.jpg

:D

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I used to be more of a guitarist, but I have since been seduced :D

My main instrument at Berklee was guitar (you have to focus on a single instrument) but I played some bass on the side. I had an (independent of school) bass teacher for awhile, I was determined to actually be a bass player and not just a guitarist who knows the notes on the neck, if ya know what I mean. My bass rig (Washburn, Trace Elliot) was stolen from a Boston jingle shop in the 1990s, and after that I didn't have much desire to keep it going. :(

But, things change. A friend of mine asked me to play guitar in his band....I get there to find he is playing guitar, his buddy is also playing guitar, and I'm playing guitar. I see a Squier bass on the wall of the practice space and ask if I can play, they said sure, and I caught the bug all over again. So, now I play an Ibanez Craigslist Deluxe ;) and a borrowed Hartke. Small steps but its so good to be playing again :)
Cool. Wife is the guitarist, Daughter decided to play drums. So I'll just stand in the back and pound out sumthin :) Got an Ibanes P style. And one of the guys at work loaned me a Carvin kit J style to practice with at lunch, so I don't have to haul mine back and forth. TKD gear bag and a guitar and amp just don't fit in the cab of my truck well :)

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Awesome hobbies everyone. :) I'm learning to play the bagpipes (first instrument for me) right now, so I appreciate the pictures you posted above, Carol. :) I'm only a few months into the practice chanter, but I love, love, love it! :D

I waste a lot of time having a blast with a few facebook games, but it's usually how I unwind after a long day. I also love to read and watch anime, etc. I used to cross-stitch and crochet, but it's been so long that I've mostly forgotten how to do it. I also like to draw.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Awesome hobbies everyone. :) I'm learning to play the bagpipes (first instrument for me) right now, so I appreciate the pictures you posted above, Carol. :) I'm only a few months into the practice chanter, but I love, love, love it! :D

I waste a lot of time having a blast with a few facebook games, but it's usually how I unwind after a long day. I also love to read and watch anime, etc. I used to cross-stitch and crochet, but it's been so long that I've mostly forgotten how to do it. I also like to draw.

Best of luck!

I photographed other bands as well, I'll be posting up the pics in a day or so. Moar Bagpipes!!