one and all

mambi

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok so Im 57 Green belt in Kempo In N.C due to stage 2 arthritis and recomendation that Ill soon need a partial knee replacement .So its over.Or is it? Been looking for others similiar experience and what are my options, How do you give something up thats so importan in ones life ? Aint easy ! Im thinking that I can modify my practice( Like jazz, Im into playing ) improvise. Go with Katas only? Doc told me I might use a cane so I thought " Cane kata" . I can develop one.. add some boxing( on heavy bag), Its been recommended I do yoga or Tai chi. . Wont do.. feedback? similiar experinces ?

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello, welcome to MT :). Do what your body will let you do, it's not over unless you allow it to be. Talk to your instructor and let him know the situation and he'll probably be able to adjust your training. Good luck.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello and Welcome! Tai Chi sounds like a good option

OP
M

mambi

White Belt
Reaction score
matters sure are different the deeper you go. Thanks for the encouragement.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, this is the best place I know to get info and encouragement from the best people ( I know I'm biased lol!) :)

OP
M

mambi

White Belt
Reaction score
I always thought/said they would have to carry me out of the dojo.tried tai chi but I figure katas done slooowly are same. again thanks

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome, mambi! I hope that you stick with kenpo despite your physical challenges. Two reasons spring to mind:

1) Pursuing and perfecting a martial art allows us to transcend pain, fear and weariness. It forces us to face these demons of the body and mind and purge them...again and again. Your newly-imposed physical limitations may have created some fear (fear of getting your knee hit or twisted, fear of appearing weak, fear of tiring quickly). But if you continue with your MA, and incorporate subtle changes to accomodate your weak points, then you will be able to face these fears and purge them. Your confidence in your body and abilities will infuse every aspect of your life.

2) Street predators often choose victims that appear weak and defenseless. If you are forced to use a cane, you may become a more appealing target for crime. Continue with your MA, and you will have a nasty surprise in store for any attackers...especially if you develop a "cane technique" which I think is a fantastic idea!

Jenny

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings Mambi,

Welcome to Martial Talk.

FMA may offer some options in using a cane for self defense.

Tai Chi may be an option as well. Give it a try and see for yourself. Tai Chi is more than practicing slow.

Open your mind to some new experiences that may give you more insight into Kenpo.

Yoga and Qi Gong may benefit you as well.

Listen to your body. Adapt, but do not limit yourself.

OP
M

mambi

White Belt
Reaction score
Been in touch with Shidoshi recently.Will take that walk into dojo and see where it goes. Most appreciative of encouragement and advice. Will flag this and re read it .... Tai chi possibility but some much of Kempo is part of me by now that I want to see if I can do the katas as tai chi. Its good here. Thanks