hi all couple of questions

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm reminded of an incident... someone came in and asked the senior Sifu what his qualifications were to teach. He answered "what are your qualifications to ask?"

Seriously?! He totally said that to a prospective student?
I'm realizing I'm really blessed to find this new teacher. He had no problem full on telling me his entire lineage, qualifications, his teacher's name and time in art and teaching.
And no problem talking my head right off with in depth, educated and thorough answers to even the simplist of my WC questions about his style, lineage or his perspective on teaching.

Ask your teacher current or prospective lots of questions. Every question you can think of. They should be happy to answer and take the time to fully explain and share their wing chun knowledge.

bekkilyn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ha , I like that one .
Its not politically correct , but I like it.

I thought it was pretty funny, too. I was picturing this belligerent student huffing in and acting all obnoxious, "Hey yo, what are your qualifications to teach, old man?" And then being put in his place by the Sifu.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm reminded of an incident... someone came in and asked the senior Sifu what his qualifications were to teach. He answered "what are your qualifications to ask?"

Now that's funny. You could also point to the sparring ring, ask them to step in and you'd show them your qualifications.

BlueVino

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Now that's funny. You could also point to the sparring ring, ask them to step in and you'd show them your qualifications.

I cringe at the thought.

Best guess, he became a disciple and was made Sifu in the late 60s, early 70s, and things were different then. Challenge matches wouldn't have been meet on friendly terms.

I think the quote I attributed to him was roughly from that period as well, and the story is told along the lines of what bekkilyn imagined.

Latest Discussions