On the efficacy of Mexican Lucha Libre

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been playing Tekken quite a lot recently, and one of the things that really strikes me about this game is how realistic a lot of the moves in it are. Of course, I am not talking about shooting lighting from Heihachi's fist or summoning Tigers out of thin air, but the movements themseleves. I looked into this and I was surprised to find a lot of the moves are actually implemented using motion capture technology on real martial arts experts.

This is why a lot of the fighters feel like the incarnation of the most polished version of their respective martial arts - from Steve Fox's boxing, to Eddy's well-flowing Capoeira, this is what makes me gravitate towards Tekken more than Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.

However, I noticed one particular character that I've loved since I was young, and that's the Lucha Libre wrestler with a jaguar mask - King. He chains wrestling moves like a kid chains Legos, and his throws, tackles and takedowns seem extremely intricate. Is it actually possible to implement Lucha Libre techniques in a real street fight and/or an MMA fight? I am well aware a lot of the techniques are for show, but are any of them genuine, realistic and applicable in the given scenarios?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been playing Tekken quite a lot recently, and one of the things that really strikes me about this game is how realistic a lot of the moves in it are. Of course, I am not talking about shooting lighting from Heihachi's fist or summoning Tigers out of thin air, but the movements themseleves. I looked into this and I was surprised to find a lot of the moves are actually implemented using motion capture technology on real martial arts experts.

This is why a lot of the fighters feel like the incarnation of the most polished version of their respective martial arts - from Steve Fox's boxing, to Eddy's well-flowing Capoeira, this is what makes me gravitate towards Tekken more than Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.

However, I noticed one particular character that I've loved since I was young, and that's the Lucha Libre wrestler with a jaguar mask - King. He chains wrestling moves like a kid chains Legos, and his throws, tackles and takedowns seem extremely intricate. Is it actually possible to implement Lucha Libre techniques in a real street fight and/or an MMA fight? I am well aware a lot of the techniques are for show, but are any of them genuine, realistic and applicable in the given scenarios?

Yep, love the Tekken series, only been through 1, 2, 3, 5 and now just got 7 recently but haven't played much yet. And yeah same, much prefer this style over Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter.

I don't see why not, I've seen legit fight vids with people semi-suplexing others, picking them up and slamming them, German suplex etc. As to the chain moves... yeah I dunno haha you'd have to be quick and they'd have to be not resisting in juuuust the right ways haha. Not resisting or just having no clue.

In Tekken 1 + 2 I got King's massive chain throws down perfect, once I got the initial lock-in... they were done!

Ps. Fave characters definitely Jin, Hwoarang, Kazuya, Baek, Paul Phoenix

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep, love the Tekken series, only been through 1, 2, 3, 5 and now just got 7 recently but haven't played much yet. And yeah same, much prefer this style over Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter.

I don't see why not, I've seen legit fight vids with people semi-suplexing others, picking them up and slamming them, German suplex etc. As to the chain moves... yeah I dunno haha you'd have to be quick and they'd have to be not resisting in juuuust the right ways haha. Not resisting or just having no clue.

In Tekken 1 + 2 I got King's massive chain throws down perfect, once I got the initial lock-in... they were done!

Ps. Fave characters definitely Jin, Hwoarang, Kazuya, Baek, Paul Phoenix
Not so sure about resistance, I mean a lot of his locks are in BJJ too like the armbar. Unless someone had outstanding armbar defence for example I don’t see how resistance would help.

My personal favourite or most memorable characters are Jack in Tekken V, King, Eddy, Law, and Paul. I have the game on Steam, we should play together. Tekken 7 I mean

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not so sure about resistance, I mean a lot of his locks are in BJJ too like the armbar. Unless someone had outstanding armbar defence for example I don’t see how resistance would help.

My personal favourite or most memorable characters are Jack in Tekken V, King, Eddy, Law, and Paul. I have the game on Steam, we should play together. Tekken 7 I mean

Ah yeah I guess I meant them massive chained 10-move combos, those would be hard to pull off consistently and in a guaranteed way in real life hehe.

Ah nice, yeah Eddy was actually really fun to play too, his moves were all about timing and getting the distance right to know when to start one his wild moves (well to be honest it's all about timing and distance XD)

I got into one of the Virtua Fighter games at one stage, was very tricky as it required doing them parries at the absolute perfect time and capitalising quickly

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh and even Naka Sensei was used in motion capture for the Lidia character! I'll definitely have to play as her!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Catch wrestling is used a bit. Which I imagine is similar.

Sakuraba is one of the more famous cross overs.

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lucha Libre is basically Mexican professional wrestling ...in other words, scripted entertainment. Like pro-wrestlers in the US, Mexican luchadores have size, strength and athleticism, and often some experience in real competitive combat sports and arts.

But lucha libre as a martial art to train for real competition or self defense??? :confused:

...Only if you are attacked by sexy vampire women! ¡No metes con Santo!

MV5BNTc4YzY1MTktOWIyOS00YzZlLTg0MDgtNTRhMGI3MmI2ZTYyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ2MjQyNDc@._V1_.jpg

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey @Ivan you ever tried out some of the combos from Tekken (in real life that is)? Tell ya what Jin's combinations are awesome, tried drilling some just before, highly recommend! Lots of fun and gives me ideas. Go Hwoarang for your TKD ones ;)

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There’s a point in the early 1900s where Catch and Judo were being mixed heavily with each other and moved around the globe, creating a lot of grappling styles. So yeah you’re going to see some cross over in stuff like Luchra Libre because it’s a part of that tradition.

Don’t know how effective it is, but I’d never underestimate an athletic person who is in great shape and wrestles.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why not I'm pretty something intersting will happen.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There’s a point in the early 1900s where Catch and Judo were being mixed heavily with each other and moved around the globe, creating a lot of grappling styles. So yeah you’re going to see some cross over in stuff like Luchra Libre because it’s a part of that tradition.

Don’t know how effective it is, but I’d never underestimate an athletic person who is in great shape and wrestles.

I think it is the wiggan snake pit which was the place to be for catch.

And it is still going.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why not I'm pretty something intersting will happen.

Oh wow I didn't know Juventud was still wrestling! Watched him back in the WCW days...

And second vid... wwow.. how is that even possible for both legs at the same time... ouch... :s

Latest Discussions