On a Island

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First order of business... survival. Including but not limited to building shelters (those tropical storms can be murder... literally), finding food, building fire(s) and creating weapons from "stone knives and bearskins" :wink2: But of utmost importance... finding a fresh water source, if you ain't got that... might as well slit your wrists and go swimming in the ocean.

After all is said and done, explore the entire island for other signs of life (including edible ones).

That done, then pick a nice stretch of sandy beach, do my best to measure out a mile or 1/2 or even a 1/4 and use that as a place to run. Other workouts can be managed in any number of ways. Repetitively climbing the highest point on the island (if any) but do be wary of sharp volcanic rocks and falling debris. Wander the jungle in the night (with whatever improvised weapons you've made) to better enhance your night vision and hearing... (not quite as easy for me though :( ), swim in the surf, against the surf to tone up those muscles.
Start building a sturdy raft. You wanna live forever?

For those who think they'd go crazy being all alone on that island year after year ... you'd probably would. Better to learn to enjoy your own company for periods at a stretch than to go ruddy mad and take a long walk into the ocean.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
First order of business... survival. Including but not limited to building shelters (those tropical storms can be murder... literally), finding food, building fire(s) and creating weapons from "stone knives and bearskins" :wink2: But of utmost importance... finding a fresh water source, if you ain't got that... might as well slit your wrists and go swimming in the ocean.

After all is said and done, explore the entire island for other signs of life (including edible ones).

That done, then pick a nice stretch of sandy beach, do my best to measure out a mile or 1/2 or even a 1/4 and use that as a place to run. Other workouts can be managed in any number of ways. Repetitively climbing the highest point on the island (if any) but do be wary of sharp volcanic rocks and falling debris. Wander the jungle in the night (with whatever improvised weapons you've made) to better enhance your night vision and hearing... (not quite as easy for me though :( ), swim in the surf, against the surf to tone up those muscles.
Start building a sturdy raft. You wanna live forever?

For those who think they'd go crazy being all alone on that island year after year ... you'd probably would. Better to learn to enjoy your own company for periods at a stretch than to go ruddy mad and take a long walk into the ocean.

You forgot the soccer ball with the hand print on it named Mr. Wilson :D

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would think that once your basic needs (food, water, shelter etc.) are taken care of, Taekwondo practice would become more important than ever to keep you sane. To me, Taekwondo practice is for your whole life, not just self defense. Even if my life were not in imminent danger, or I was pretty sure I would not be attacked, I would still practice. My survival depends on me being physically and mentally sharp.

I would practice basics, basic kicking, forms, and drills. I would use trees for target and power practice, and whatever else I was creative enough to think of.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you was alone on an Island for any amout of time with no way of any rescue at all. What would be your daily workout regiment and how would it defer from your workout in the city of choice?
I'd spend a lot of time training in between survival duties, lots of poomsae, but I can't help but think that without a training partner, some skills would definitely suffer.

Daniel