On a Island

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you was alone on an Island for any amout of time with no way of any rescue at all. What would be your daily workout regiment and how would it defer from your workout in the city of choice?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Would there be TREES on the island? :EG: :EG:

I may be a taiji guy, but DON'T forget the sanda :ubercool:

Sorry Terry, I couldn't resist... I will go now

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you was alone on an Island for any amout of time with no way of any rescue at all. What would be your daily workout regiment and how would it defer from your workout in the city of choice?

Assuming, of course, that I don't need all 24 hours to perform survival tasks, I would perform patterns (oh... wait... I do that anyway...) for about an hour a day (more than I manage now, but life is busy), practice kicking and striking techniques, create step sparring routines against an imaginary partner... everything I do now, except that I would have to adjust to not having a partner to beat on (I mean aim at, of course :lol:).

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think I'd practice Hyung, plyometrics and stealth. Hyung for conditioning and health. Stealth and plyometrics would be good for hunting skills like killing fish and anything else I could eat.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score

It depends:

If I am alone an must survive only on my own with no help, then there's no practice. I am not an outdoorsman. I am not skilled in surviving in the wild, so it would take everything I could do to keep from dying!

If I had someone airdrop me supplies, say, and all I had to do was "do my time" on the island alone, then of course I would practice. No freesparring of course. That would be VERY BAD to have no sparring partner! I have a very good Teacher in my city who gives only private lessons, but that is a deal killer for me. How can one practice alone??? That makes no sense to me!

But, I would do something. Forms, stretching. Make some kind of target to kick. It would not be fun. I would "switch gears", and concentrate on the Hatha Yoga, and hope to start beaming up, HIGH! Tune in to the self, that sort of thing. I would most likely neglect the martial arts and concentrate instead on yoga poses. Without ANY partners at all, that would be horrible practice! Not to hear the whole class turn around at the same time online and...

KIYA! ---->>> SSSSSSSHAAAAAAAAAAAA!

That's what I'm talking about!!! Not to hear and feel the THUNDER of the group together.

Ah, let's not think such bad thoughts! This is horrible!

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you can fight monkeys, pummel apes, and tackle pythons...

Probably less air kicking.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Assuming, of course, that I don't need all 24 hours to perform survival tasks, I would perform patterns (oh... wait... I do that anyway...) for about an hour a day (more than I manage now, but life is busy), practice kicking and striking techniques, create step sparring routines against an imaginary partner... everything I do now, except that I would have to adjust to not having a partner to beat on (I mean aim at, of course :lol:).

I think I'd practice Hyung, plyometrics and stealth. Hyung for conditioning and health. Stealth and plyometrics would be good for hunting skills like killing fish and anything else I could eat.
It would appear that the ladies have the most realistic take on life as a castaway. Those things which I'd practice would be those things that would help my survival in the long term.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How many girls on the Island? Hahahaha..... Oh, but with my luck there will be a band of head hunters instead.

You know, I used to visualize Tahiti while I did my streaching routines for years. And now days, every time I think of Tahiti, all I can think of pain....

If no one is on the island, I bet I go crazy (up north, in Canada, it's called being 'bushed'.) You go nuts with no one around. So it won't matter what I do as for martial arts.

Now if it's in the Virgin Islands, I'll do just what I do now cause there is quite a bit of crime there! I've been there and the only time I've seen a purse snatching was in the VG (and we got the dude to.)

If it's on some friendly little island in the Pacific, I'll just open a school for the natives and we all have a fun time. I'll pervert the arts I know and it won't look like anything a traditional art looks like, but it will be effective!

Deaf

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Survival training and, as long as the survival training worked, swimming. Then there would be the cutting down trees to try to build a raft and the hunting gathering stuff. I'd be busy, but there'd be time , and necessity, for meditation and stretching.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It would appear that the ladies have the most realistic take on life as a castaway. Those things which I'd practice would be those things that would help my survival in the long term.

Quite honestly, I'd be lookin' for a place to nap. It seems to elude me on the mainland.:)

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There's ONE THING I would need on a deserted island, like in THIS STORY:

An engineer was on an airplane when it crashed on a deserted island. Thinking himself the sole survivor (and as far as he knew, he was), he worked to construct a rude bamboo hut, collect coconuts, and build a signal fire. As the months went by, he slowly, painstakingly wove a crude net from strands of palm fronds, and set up a sieve to catch fresh fish as the tides went in and out. After a year of waiting to be rescued, having his clothes wear out, his shoes rot off his feet, and going nearly insane from doing nothing all day but minding the signal fire and catching fish, he noticed a ribbon of smoke rising from the opposite side of the island. Determined to find some other human contact, he loaded some bags that had washed onto shore with coconuts and pieces of dried fish.

The next morning, at daybreak, he set off in the direction of the fire. What met his eyes shocked him to his core. There, on his same deserted island was a beautiful woman, standing in front of a gorgeous mansion, built entirely out of bamboo and woven palm fronds. He called and waved, and the young lady greeted him, quickly explaining that she had survived the same plane crash. He was amazed at what she had accomplished in the same time he had only succeeded in weaving together a crude net and making an open-air hut.

She showed him her mansion - a water-wheel moved eight rows of palm fronds back and forth in the ceiling of each room in the massive mansion, providing cool breezes through the heat of the day. The same water wheel provided a constant flow of fresh water from a stream, part of which was diverted through a boiler, providing hot and cold running water, showers, and sanitary plumbing. The large windows in the mansion were covered with beautiful drapes, providing shade or light, as needed. A large sheet of airplane glass covered a pit to the side, providing a 'solar oven', from which the woman baked bread, cooked meat and fish, and even produced a homemade pizza. She grabbed the shocked engineer by the hand and began walking him towards the bedroom, showing the panels of solar cells she had built to recharge and provide light from the airplane's battery. They passed fine embroidered cushions and deep, soft quilts, piled onto a luxurious bed stuffed from seagull down feathers and marsh reeds. As he explained that he was an engineer, he fell into her embrace, overcome with emotion at all the wonders that she had created.

The woman told the engineer that she had all the creature-comforts she needed, built into this mansion. She said she only longed for companionship, and she would gladly share all this with him, and more. She grabbed him by the hand, gazed longingly into his eyes and taunted him, saying, "Come with me, and I will give you the one thing every lonely engineer longs for."

He looked at her in absolute wonder and said, "You mean you found a way to check your email?"

Last edited:

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
There would be very martial arts training if I were on an island. I would save those precious calories for the fact that there may be days where I coudn't find or catch food.

AoG

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
My workout?

Finding water.
Building shelter.
Making tools.
Repairing tools.
Gardening.
Gathering fuel.
Making fire.
Making charcoal.
Hauling rocks.
Twisting rope.
Making textiles.
Making clothes.
Making nets.
Building a boat.
Hunting.
Fishing.
Gathering.
Drying food.
Smoking food.
Making salt.
Hauling water.
Building distress signals.
Digging a latrine.

I reckon that would get me in all kinds of good shape. My awareness and senses will be better than they've every been. One person can make it alone if she's really good and really lucky. It's best done in groups. "Men die. Teams survive."

If I've got or can make a knife and a machete I'll be getting so much practice that most of the weapons stuff I do would be completely redundant.

If there's enough time for anything else I'll be very, very surprised. If there were, I'd do djurus, relax with some kembangan and do a little harimau posture work just to keep the motion patterns polished.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most "on a deserted island" questions are really of the nature of "if you had no resources but what was available to you..." I mean, the classic version I usually hear is "If you were on a deserted island, what 10 CDs would you want" and the sorta obvious answer would be "it doesn't matter, there wouldn't be electricity and my batteries would soon be dead" But the real question being asked is "if you had limited choices in music available, what music do you consider essential?"

So I don't think Terry's question was literally "How would you fit martial arts training into basic survival on a deserted island?" but rather "how would you train if you had no dojang, no instructor, no gear?" Which is a pretty interesting question because it cuts at the heart of "how much of your art is really in you in terms of what you can accomplish yourself versus how much are you dependent on your environment to provide you context for training"

...and I don't have an answer yet

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
with no way of any rescue at all

My main work out would be in securing shelter and if necessary building defenses against whatever animals night be on the island. Finding food and drinkable water would be next.
with those things done most of my workout would be in exploring the island and finding a way to make a good drink from the plants on the island :drink2tha
I might even try to make a musical instrument after a while

for self protection I would most likely go over the forms I know but if no rescue was going to happen then I do not know how long I would keep them up except for exercise

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fair enough, FF. To answer that...

Djurus and Harimau position training would be the core. They can't give you sensitivity or combative timing, but they can help you keep them and are useful for everything else. Some kembangan with and without weapons will help round things out and keep a person from getting too constrained.

If I've got a machete and a knife I can do most of the weapons work and improve things like focus and follow through while clearing a spot to practice in my tropical paradise :) Other serious physical work will give functional strength.

Running, swimming and climbing will get a person into or keep him in good shape. Add in some sort of yoga-like routine like Five Tibetans, Scott Sonon's Prasara, Ageless Mobility or Flow Fit specific strength work. Clubbells and kettlebells are easy to improvise. Some light work with sticks on the forearms and shins or carefully hitting things with them will keep the bones dense and make them much more useful weapons.

Time permitting, some drumming will help with rhythm and timing.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can guarantee that if there were two people on the island they wouldn't get along because one would be WTF and the other one would be ITF.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can guarantee that if there were two people on the island they wouldn't get along because one would be WTF and the other one would be ITF.
I get along with quite a few WTF people... I don't see why it would be a problem. :idunno:

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I get along with quite a few WTF people... I don't see why it would be a problem. :idunno:

Yea me either, Kacey is ITF and I am KKW not WTF but we get along as long as she has breakfast when I get there everything is fine.

Latest Discussions