Olympic TKD Knockouts

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another cool video Terry. Who says Olympic TKdist don't hit hard? :D

I find it interesting that most points get scored of of roundhouse kicks. BUT, in that video...most (if not all0 of the KO's came off of variations of the back hook kick, Back kick with Axe kick and front thrust kick in for good measure. I especially liked seeing the way Steven Lopez timed his KO of the Greek fighter in the Athens games...totally had that guy read...the fight was oevr before any technique was thrown.

Peace,
Erik

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes if you can have videos of fighter you can get a great timing of what they do.

Spartan 117

White Belt
Reaction score
Another cool video Terry. Who says Olympic TKdist don't hit hard? :D

I find it interesting that most points get scored of of roundhouse kicks. BUT, in that video...most (if not all0 of the KO's came off of variations of the back hook kick, Back kick with Axe kick and front thrust kick in for good measure. I especially liked seeing the way Steven Lopez timed his KO of the Greek fighter in the Athens games...totally had that guy read...the fight was oevr before any technique was thrown.

Peace,
Erik

Actually, it was Moon Dae Soong the one who knocked out the greek guy. He's now a member of the IOC by the way. And you're right, he was just waiting for the right timing to land that mondollyio chagui, he was going for a KO, no doubt about that.

mozzandherb

Green Belt
Reaction score
While those were fun to watch, I couldn't help but ask one question....

How many of those knockouts could have been prevented by simply keeping their hands up? Why on earth do those fighters keep their hands down like that?
They keep their hands down because puching is not nearly as important in the WTF as it is in the ITF. And by keeping your hands down it takes less energy, making you slightly quicker in delivering your kicks. I agree that keeping your hands up in ITF sparring is important, but you can get away with it in the WTF. Personally I like keeping my hands down, I feel a little more nimble and a little quicker, but at the same time I am risking getting nailed...there's a cost/benefit element of the position of your hands

Spartan 117

White Belt
Reaction score
And if you raise your hands, the other guy is gonna score on your hogu right away.Thus, you lose the match. If punches to the face were allowed, it'd be a whole different story.

And it's not easy to block a heavyweight jump spinning back hook kick. That's a very powerful kick,and it might break your forearm,hand or fingers, especially when using the heel. It's better to just evade the kick.

bankerrkt

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the video link. My kids and I really enjoyed it.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They keep their hands down because puching is not nearly as important in the WTF as it is in the ITF. And by keeping your hands down it takes less energy, making you slightly quicker in delivering your kicks. I agree that keeping your hands up in ITF sparring is important, but you can get away with it in the WTF. Personally I like keeping my hands down, I feel a little more nimble and a little quicker, but at the same time I am risking getting nailed...there's a cost/benefit element of the position of your hands

Yea, I agree with mozz in that WTF is sport Taekwondo and keeping your hands up is really not as prevalent. When I used to spar I fell into the same routine in that I generally kept my guard/hands down, because I felt I could react more quickly with my kicks.

Now in the real world, in a real fight you do that and you're going to get rocked, or worse...

Latest Discussions