Olympic-style sparring equipment...Help!:)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm coming back into the WTF after nearly 20 years in the ITF, full-contact kickboxing, & boxing. I need help wading thru all the different types of sparring gear.

When I left, Macho had just come out w/ headgear, there were 2 types of hogu (those that fit & those that didn't), you could still wear Macho boots & gloves at most tournaments.

I've gone on Tekno's site & was pleased to see that they had an elbow pad w/ a forearm guard.

I also noted that there are 27 different types of hogu, now.:) Hard, Workout, etc. I know its a preference thing, but can someone help me find one for me? And size...I werar a 4 uniform. I'm 5'9.5" & 165lbs. What size.

Are all doboks a short dress length now?:) (I mean no disrespect, its been awhile).

Any help I can get is greatly appreciated. Thanks!:asian:

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
When I left, Macho had just come out w/ headgear, there were 2 types of hogu (those that fit & those that didn't), you could still wear Macho boots & gloves at most tournaments.

Shin guards are required, but instep guards are generally required for colored belts and optional (sometimes not allowed) at higher levels. Get the detachable ones.

IcemanSK said:
I've gone on Tekno's site & was pleased to see that they had an elbow pad w/ a forearm guard.

Forearm guards are required but fist guards are not currently allowed. Mine have an elbow guard which is allowed but not required.

IcemanSK said:
I also noted that there are 27 different types of hogu, now.:) Hard, Workout, etc. I know its a preference thing, but can someone help me find one for me? And size...I werar a 4 uniform. I'm 5'9.5" & 165lbs. What size.

The new style of hogu are much more forgiving than the conventional ones. Regardless of manufactorer, go with the new style. They offer much more protection. They have coverage over your back and shoulder protection. They also have longer laces and the back pieces are flexed, so you don't have to have that build that no one ever has for it to fit right. I'm surprised you wear a four. I'm 5'10", 175 lbs and I wear a six. I wear a five hogu in the new style, but a four conventional.

IcemanSK said:
Are all doboks a short dress length now?:) (I mean no disrespect, its been awhile).

LOL. Yes. That's the style now. When I first got mine, I was looking for the matching panties too. You'll get used to it. And the belt tails are no longer the length of you thumb to pinkie. They wear them much longer now so you can swat yourself in the face everytime you throw a front kick. :)

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Shin guards are required, but instep guards are generally required for colored belts and optional (sometimes not allowed) at higher levels. Get the detachable ones.

Ugh, my insteps aren't gonna like that. But thanks.

Forearm guards are required but fist guards are not currently allowed. Mine have an elbow guard which is allowed but not required.

I vaguely remember that they didn't allow handguards anymore. I've been boxing for so long, this will feel weird.

The new style of hogu are much more forgiving than the conventional ones. Regardless of manufactorer, go with the new style. They offer much more protection. They have coverage over your back and shoulder protection. They also have longer laces and the back pieces are flexed, so you don't have to have that build that no one ever has for it to fit right. I'm surprised you wear a four. I'm 5'10", 175 lbs and I wear a six. I wear a five hogu in the new style, but a four conventional.

I guess I'll have to try some on.
LOL. Yes. That's the style now. When I first got mine, I was looking for the matching panties too. You'll get used to it. And the belt tails are no longer the length of you thumb to pinkie. They wear them much longer now so you can swat yourself in the face everytime you throw a front kick. :)

I s'pose I will get used to it. I think it's one reason I'm looking for karate-style uniforms. I'm old school. Don't older BB's & instructors wear shorter versions?

The belt thing started about the time I got mine (1985). I just ordered a 115" (size 5) from Eosin-Panther. I think it'll be just long enough. I remember my red belt was long enough that I literally got a black eye doing an axe kick. (The belt caught the corner of my eye.:)) I trained w/ 2 big deal fighters back in the day. I remember the debate..."Can we wear our belt w/ the knot in the back, so it doesn't get in the way?" I'm guessing the answer is "No!" now. But then, it was a sign that you were cool & kicked big.

Yeah, what's standard embroidery now? A lot? (ie. 2 lines w/ your name in 2 languages & rank stripes.) Or simplier? (One line each end)

Thanks for your help.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well Hogu's I personnally like the Addidas hard shell wrap around and your size would be a 4.
Uniforms is also a draw between The J-3 from Tekno and the Addidas the J-3 is more breathing and has more room for comfort.

Terry

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry:

I'm gonna try a Tekno Kicho uniform 1st. I have no doubt the J-3 is great, but its a bit pricey for me right now. I'll look into the Adidas hogu as suggested. Anything else I need to look into? My mouthpiece & cup are topnotch. (Some areas ya never skrimp on!)

Hey, what about my belt question. What the norm in terms of embroidery? A lot? or a little?

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The last referee seminar I went to the new rules for mouthguard are white and clear only, no other color's allowed...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
Full elbow pads are not legal for national quaifing tournaments. Most local tournaments will allow it.

IcemanSK said:

Workout hogu's are generally overstuffed so that you train longer.
Hard hogu's are generally tournament hogu's normally very thin very light.
Soft hogu's are tournament hogu's with a little more protection.

I prefer the hogu that fits the best. My kids wear J3, Addidas, Protech, Techno Q21 and techno workout.

IcemanSK said:
Yes, primarily because of the hogu.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
I'm gonna try a Tekno Kicho uniform 1st. I have no doubt the J-3 is great, but its a bit pricey for me right now. I'll look into the Adidas hogu as suggested. Anything else I need to look into? My mouthpiece & cup are topnotch. (Some areas ya never skrimp on!)

Hey, what about my belt question. What the norm in terms of embroidery? A lot? or a little?

IcemanSK, I think the Tekno Kicho is a pretty basic uniform-that's why it is less expensive. I've found that you generally get what you pay for and you might not like what you end up with. I'd suggest you start with a middle-priced uniform and see how you like it. I personally like the old Tekno and Adidas corduroy style v-necks. The doboks at Best M.A. Supply (house brand) are essentially Adidas w/o the price.

Adidas makes a very good hogu (as does Tekno). Make sure the cup is worn inside :) the uniform.

As far as embroidery-there's really no norm. My students get an embroidered belt with their surname in block letters on one side and "Miles Taekwondo" in Hangul on the other side. We don't have rank stripes, but the embroidery is gold thread for 1st dan, green for 2nd dan, blue for 3rd dan (I have no 4th dans, that would be red thread....5th dans will just get a warm handshake :). But mostly we just wear plain belts. The embroidered belt is for tournaments/demos/tests.

Miles

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, I'm getting quite the education about this. I do remember the days when guys would wear cups OUTSIDE their pants.:rolleyes:

While I have no intention of competing anymore, but its good to know what the rules on the stuff are for my future students. It appears that white headgear is no longer the standard color. (I remember when it was:) ). Blue & Red make sense. The dobok length makes sense under the hogu, too.

I really appreciate your help. Anything else I should know about the state of tournament TKD?

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
Wow, I'm getting quite the education about this. I do remember the days when guys would wear cups OUTSIDE their pants.:rolleyes:

While I have no intention of competing anymore, but its good to know what the rules on the stuff are for my future students. It appears that white headgear is no longer the standard color. (I remember when it was:) ). Blue & Red make sense. The dobok length makes sense under the hogu, too.

I really appreciate your help. Anything else I should know about the state of tournament TKD?

Just rememeber if your future students buy blue they must also have red, if you go white that will work because it is nuetrol, just a tidbit to think about if you are trying to save money.
Terry

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Just rememeber if your future students buy blue they must also have red, if you go white that will work because it is nuetrol, just a tidbit to think about if you are trying to save money.
Terry

Ah, a $$ saving tip. Thank you, sir.:asian:

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As I referee I would like to relay one point the easier you make my job, the easier it is to score a match.

Colored Helmets do make a difference in scoring, it's probably because judges are more certain of who scored, hence they score within the scoring window.

The new Hogu's clearly identify's the player in that thay are marked boldly front and back. Most of older the Hogu's are not marked in the back which causes some delay with judges who have the backs of the player toward them.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
TX_BB said:
As I referee I would like to relay one point the easier you make my job, the easier it is to score a match.

Colored Helmets do make a difference in scoring, it's probably because judges are more certain of who scored, hence they score within the scoring window.

The new Hogu's clearly identify's the player in that thay are marked boldly front and back. Most of older the Hogu's are not marked in the back which causes some delay with judges who have the backs of the player toward them.

That's an excellent point from a fellow referee's perspective.

I would also point out that the newer hogus have some protection for the back which is now a scoring area. So, if you are still training with an older hogu-keep it for double hogu drills, but don't compete in them.

Miles

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last but not least is when decidibg on a hogu, maintain the thin hard shell for today game and make sure you get the wrap aroung like Miles said in the earlier post, the back all the way to the spine is legal but not the spine itself.
Terry