New Poomse

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know the Kukkiwon is considering a new set of poomse, I was wondering what all of the TKD'ers that have gone through this before what there thoughts are about it and in what way do you think they are going to change, I mean are they going back to more wider stances, are they going to get away from hand techniques since Olympic style fighters really do not do any of them. Just looking into a crytal ball to see what every one thinks.
Terry

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd like to see them go back to the deeper stances & more formal Pal Gue-type techniques. But, since TKD has gone the way the Olympics, I doubt that will happen. But, can you really put a jump spinning backkick in a form?:) I dunno.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sure you can it may not lok good but you can put it there

i think all TKD forms should include more kicks and with higher ranked forms they should incorporate higher level kicks. It's a kicking style so why not emphisise what it's about in your forms
Back when I was in TKD (late 60's) the forms resembled Japanese forms and there where only a few kicks in the forms but a lot of hand tech. that we where not allow to use in class when sparring

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with IcemanSk. If there's really going to be a new poomse, I'd like to see something more resembling Palgwe, which I've always preferred over Taegeuk. Something more along the lines of the current TKD would probably be more like it. I doubt they intend to go backwards.

Jumping spin kicks for a demo is one thing. A thousand while practicing forms is another. jeesh. I'm not getting any younger, y'know.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Jumping spin kicks for a demo is one thing. A thousand while practicing forms is another. jeesh. I'm not getting any younger, y'know.

I agree with the twin:D. I'm not gettin' any younger, either:D

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I know the Kukkiwon is considering a new set of poomse, I was wondering what all of the TKD'ers that have gone through this before what there thoughts are about it and in what way do you think they are going to change, I mean are they going back to more wider stances, are they going to get away from hand techniques since Olympic style fighters really do not do any of them. Just looking into a crytal ball to see what every one thinks.
Terry

For what it's worth, as a former TKD stylist, there have been enough changes in the forms. For myself, I prefer the old ITF Chon-Ji forms. There is nothing wrong with modernizing forms, but too much is as bad as too litlle, IMHO.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
I agree with the twin:D. I'm not gettin' any younger, either:D

They may not be worried about the "older folks." They seem to focus on children, teenagers, and young adults in Olympic TKD. I can't imagine being considered a senior at age 33. Wouldn't surprise me if they created forms that require lots of kicking athleticism.

R. McLain

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have heard rumors back and forth regarding new poomsae. I guess I will believe it when I see it.

If new poomsae are developed, I will happily learn and teach them. I have already done the Chang-Hun tul, the Palgwe, and the Taegueks so it is not a major problem. As an optimist, I generally believe that new material is for the betterment of the art.

Having said that, I don't believe that new poomsae will be developed and introduced soon. My reasons are several: First, the WTF has just put out a DVD series on the existing Taegueks/Yudanja poomsae (and surprisingly it includes the Palgwe series). Second, the WTF will have a Poomsae Championship in 2006. Third, the Kukkiwon recently revised its textbook.

Miles

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Olympic sport side of TKD is one thing, but since I've practiced both versions of poomse (taeguek & palgwe) I do prefer the palgwe forms. Maybe cuz I'm older and I like tradition. But then again, TKD as we know it wasn't born until the 1950's... :idunno:

J

JanneM

I've heard that there has been a talking about new poomsaes for at least five to ten years now.

One of the reasons for new poomsaes would be (what I have heard) that there are not enough kicking in poomsaes and that the higher level poomsaes are too techincal (I mean hansoo and illyo).
I think some people think that poomsaes with more high kicking and jump kicks should be done in early dan grades because people tend to be young on those days and on high dan grades poomsaes should be more about skill in mind and in focus etc.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
JanneM said:
I've heard that there has been a talking about new poomsaes for at least five to ten years now.

One of the reasons for new poomsaes would be (what I have heard) that there are not enough kicking in poomsaes and that the higher level poomsaes are too techincal (I mean hansoo and illyo).
I think some people think that poomsaes with more high kicking and jump kicks should be done in early dan grades because people tend to be young on those days and on high dan grades poomsaes should be more about skill in mind and in focus etc.

Your take on the issue at hand does make sense... :wavey:

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's a report on the 1st Meeting on the World Poomsae Championships from the WTF website:

""WTF Holds 1st Ad-Hoc Committee Meeting on Poomsae Competition

The World Taekwondo Federation held its first ad-hoc committee
meeting on Poomsae competitions at the WTF Headquarters in Seoul on
Nov. 22, 2005.

The Poomsae Committee meeting, which will last until Nov. 25, was
mainly aimed at producing revised competition rules for the World
Taekwondo Poomsae Championships. The 1st World Taekwondo Poomsae
Championships are scheduled to take place in Seoul in September 2006.

Participants in the meeting also exchanged opinions on scoring
criteria for Poomsae competitions.

On Nov. 10, 2005, the WTF announced the creation of an eight-member
WTF Poomsae Committee. Germany?s Soo-nam Park, vice president of the
WTF, heads the Poomsae Committee.

Korea?s Jong-kwan Lee and Spain?s Carlos Colmenero Firvida were
chosen to serve as vice presidents of the Committee. The five
Committee members are Sa-ok Kim of Chinese Taipei; Morocco?s Driss El
Hilali, a WTF Executive Council member; and Chile?s Mario Mandel, a
WTF Executive Council member, as well as Koreans Ik-pil Kang and
Chun-woo Lee.

The WTF enacted the WTF Poomsae Competition Rules on Sept. 23, 2003
and once revised the rules on April 12, 2005 in Madrid, Spain.""

Miles

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Miles I saw that today and not had time to post it yet.
Terry

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard that poomse will be used for competitions, to give a standard set of poomse for competitors. This would help overcome the differences between those that teach palgwe and taeguk

J

JanneM

bignick said:
I've heard that poomse will be used for competitions, to give a standard set of poomse for competitors. This would help overcome the differences between those that teach palgwe and taeguk
Certainly will. Because palgwes are not valid poomsaes for the WTF poomsae competition.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JanneM said:
Certainly will. Because palgwes are not valid poomsaes for the WTF poomsae competition.

Yes, but there's still a good portion of people that practice them. And the way people teach the forms vary from school to school, taeguks and palgwe both....

So this would give a new standardized set of forms to make it easier to judge, without interfering with the way instructors teach their current material...

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only problem is every single person can't seem to see eye to eye on everything in a poomse, I now I do them the way the Kukkiwon says and I'll be darn if the WTF and other organization sats something different. I really hope this will end with everygody on the same page and on the same sebtance, being on the same page is not good enough anymore.
Terry

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with you Terry! There is a standardized way of performing poomsae according to the Kukkiwon. The WTF's dvds show the poomsae done with slight variances. We were told that the Kukkiwon would be working with the WTF to fix things as the Kukkiwon recognizes the confusion this has caused.

Miles

Latest Discussions