100 man kumite

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The 100 man kumite is something that has always fascinated me ever since I started martial arts. To me it's the ultimate test in fighting to do that you must be in amazing shape. In my entire career it's the one regret I have not being able to do it. It just never fell in place with any schedule I had but I was just thinking about it and I reread an old combat magazine about a guy doing it and it pumped me up about it.

I just wondered if anyone has any stories about these events by viewing or even competing in them.

I've also had an idea to test myself just to try and set some time and simulate it myself to try and shadow box for 2 minutes for 100 rounds. I know it's different to actually fighting someone but that's the best I've got right now and I want to challenge myself with it.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The 100 man kumite is considered the ultimate test of a karateka in Kyokushin. It's invite only.

In the early days of Kyokushin, a student had to successfully complete the 100 man kumite before being sent abroad to spread Kyokushin. My favorite related story was Shigeru Oyama's - Mas Oyama ordered him to attempt it. Mas Oyama didn't stop at 100 men (Shigeru Oyama hypothesized he didn't want to send him abroad), but stopped it at I think 121, and that was because he received an important phone call.

The Shigeru Oyama interview was in Osu magazine. An excellent view into the old days of Kyokushin and Shigeru Oyama's karate legacy.

I think Francisco Filho completed it twice, but don't hold me to that. If so, he's the only one, other than Mas Oyama doing 300 - 100 on 3 consecutive days.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As for personal stories... No where near 100 for me.

My 1st dan test (spring 1999 and I was almost 23 years old) ended with a 30 man kumite. Knockdown rules, but we wore dipped foam hand, foot, and head gear. We went bare knuckle at times in training, but we wore the gear during this. I honestly think I was hit harder because we were wearing it.

30 two minute rounds. After each round, a new partner stood in front of me, bowed, and we were told to start; so maybe 45 seconds or so rest? No breaks, no water, and a fresh black belt every round. No kids either. The guys I sparred against were great; they weren't out to beat me, they were there to push me as hard as I could go. No one carried me. The guys who weren't sparring that round were constantly cheering me on and encouraging me.

After 40 rounds, the other guy testing and I sparred each other for 4 minutes. We had this huge burst of energy because we knew it was over soon. We burnt ourselves out in about 45 seconds. We must've looked like zombies at that point because we were so beat up and tired.

My arms and legs looked like camouflage from the bruises. I had several on my sternum too. I was in college at the time, and a few guys thought it was all kids like in Seinfeld*. When they saw my battle wounds, they realized it wasn't kids' point fighting. Not that I cared what they thought, but it was comical going back and forth with those guys. They were good guys.

If was by far the most physically difficult thing I've ever done and the most rewarding after it was over. I can't even fathom how guys have done 100; it just seems impossible to me. I got just a bit past a quarter of what the guys who've done 100 did.

It wasn't about the belt at the end; it was about completing the test (we did about 3 hours of kihon, kata, self defense, etc beforehand).

I did 30 rounds. Only 70 more and I would've gotten to 100 :)

* If you haven't seen the Seinfeld episode where Kramer takes karate, make it a priority to do so. It's easily one of the top 5 episodes. Somehow it's not that popular though. Even if you don't care for Seinfeld, it's a must see episode anyway.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do it if you want to do it. I am sure there are enough guys out there somewhere.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's not as difficult as most think.