Old Guy Starts to Get It - Sparring Success Using the Basics

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings! I am new to Olympic style and been having trouble when sparring. I decided to focus on basics the past few weeks. I'm old, slow, and slow learner... But I am determined! Last night I had some nice success sparring. I used counter roundhouse kicks and block/punch primarily. For good measure, I threw a back kick (it missed) and a side kick (it scored) during the match. I was able to thwart the other player's attacks and make good contact.

In order to help me grow, at home I have been doing foot work where practice reversing my feet quickly to set up a roundhouse kick counter. Also I have been working on block/punch defense (which I get blocking with same side as the leading foot and punching with the other hand. However, when the situation calls for blocking with the back hand side and punching with the front I get a bit tangled up). In addition, I've been jumping rope; working out wearing ankle weights; practicing raising my kicking leg in order to strengthen the chamber. I am thinking to keep drilling this stuff until it is second nature. Then pick more advanced techniques, doing the same.

Maybe my skills are just boring meat and potatoes but it seems to be working a bit for this old guy. However, I would like to have some more chain attacks. Suggestions on developing basic combinations? Right now, I cannot spin super fast, so please keep that in mind. Thanks!

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Good to know you're finding success. Keep at it. Your focus on the basic kicks, good technique and conditioning are exactly right. The key to combinations is your posture, balance and recovery. The more you improve these the easier to add one kick onto another effectively.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
What you are doing is excatly what you need to be doing. I would say that my kids win 90% of their matches with excatly what you are doing. The counter turn (round) kick is the number one used kick in sparring. Add in a side (cut) kick and and back kick and you have a game plan. Basics are the key.

Footwork is also 50% of the game and most people don't get this or find it to boring to work on, or they feel that what they think is footwork is good enough. If you are not in the correct postition you can't score, simple as that. Glad to see you understand and work on this as much as anything.

Now it is the other 10% of matches that you need to work for if you want to be on top, but without the basics it really doesn't matter as you wont even be in the top 10%

Keep training and kudos to you.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Discoveries like you have made will make you studies more rewarding and more fun. Good job. Stay with it and enjoy.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Basics are taken for Granted by alot of places, so i hear.

Usually, theyre also the most Practical to Apply.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Been a mature guy, some kind of slow because my weight and because of my feet issues, my training about kicking is pretty simple and basic, the last time I did kyorugy was against a young fellow who has become very good and strong, my sparring strategy was not been caught, and almost suceeded, I got a slap (doyo chagui) on face but nothing more, however my kicks were pretty basic, peet chagui, dolyo chagui and spining hook kick that more than twice almost score. I endeed exausted but happy to endure and not letting my fellow student hurt me.

Manny

Latest Discussions