ok, Rousey is the real deal, clearly

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score

damn. that arm was WRECKED. Tate should have tapped, her pride might just have cost her the rest of her career. Ref should have stopped it WAY earlier

Last edited by a moderator:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not as bad as it looked-no fractures, maybe some ligament damage, possible elbow disclocation and what looked like possible rotator cuff to me......Tate's arm might recover pretty quickly, but-judging by her looks immediately afterward-it might take a while for her ego to do so.....:lol:

Oh, and yeah, Rowdy Rhonda's fo-real....ouch.....:lfao:

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Not a fun injury, but as Elder said, it will be close to 100% in 3 or so months, provided she didn't break any bones.

Rousey is most definitely the real deal, but she's difficult to like. Her arrogance is palpable.

For what it's worth, that was an EXCELLENT fight and Tate took it to Rousey. Tate needs to improve her jiu jitsu, but her wrestling and her striking gave Rousey some trouble and at one point Tate had her back.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Steve said:
For what it's worth, that was an EXCELLENT fight and Tate took it to Rousey. Tate needs to improve her jiu jitsu, but her wrestling and her striking gave Rousey some trouble and at one point Tate had her back.

And Rousey needs to work on her striking. She's got a good frame for boxing, but really could have lost that fight standing up if Tait were just a scoche taller.....

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
jui jitsu? apparently her JUDO is doing just fine for her......

she DOES need some work on her striking, but again, you cant argue with success.

never been to the 2nd round, submissions EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

never argue with success.....

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know it's too early to say, but I think Rousey might be the best woman fighter I've seen in any sport, at any weight.

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tate? oh i see it now

i think the issue here is that Rousey is like a friggin pitbull, if you let her close the gap, she WILL get her hands on you and she WILL take you down and she WILL get your parts and bend them in ways the lord didnt design. Sort of like Royce was before he had to go and cheat......

the only real way to beat her is to NOT let her close the gap.

JJ wouldnt have saved tate. Boxing would. If tate had landed some better shots, yeah, like elder said. Tate could have won.

as it is? Rousey is gonna be hard to beat.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
jui jitsu? apparently her JUDO is doing just fine for her......
Meisha Tate. Not Rousey. Her judo's good. :) Rousey's got a good armbar, but she does leave room to escape. She crosses her feet, which allows her to widen her knees and put pressure on her opponent's head. It's a different control than what you'll learn in most BJJ schools. Traditional BJJ technique is to avoid crossing your feet, to pull back on your heels for control and to squeeze the knees together to isolate the arm and shoulder.

Widening the knee can be effective, but it opens the door to a couple of different escapes. Your head is pinned more tightly making it harder to turn your hips and stack, but your shoulders aren't as locked down so if you drive your elbow to the mat, you can negate the submission.

Edit to add, Tate's grappling is also VERY good. Rousey has a well honed technique, but Tate hung well during the scrambles and actually had Rousey in trouble more than once. While it's true that Rousey dominated this fight, to say that Tate's grappling was insufficient is a bit of a stretch. She's clearly got work to do, but Tate demonstrated heavy hips, good awareness on the mat, some solid positional control and pulled off a couple of slick reversals that led to her taking Rousey's back.

Rousey IS a beast. She's tenacious and has a clear advantage over most in the take down arena. Her ground skills, however, while VERY good are not without flaw. And if she believes that she's unstoppable on the mat, THAT is a flaw in itself. Overconfidence will bite you in the ***. She is an elite level judoka, but last I heard, bronze isn't the same as first place. Someone out there is a better judoka. Someone out there is a better grappler. Just saying.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
it seems to be working for her.
I'll put two things out there.

First, MMA is like the stock market; past performance is no guarantee of future success. In other words, you stop to rest on your laurels and someone still working on improving will expose you.

Second, it is working for her because so far the female MMA scene is pretty shallow. I think she's going to cream Kaufman. Just annihilate her. But Rousey goes up against another solid striker and elite level grappler, and we'll really see whether she can push through adversity. So far, this is the closest to a real test she's had. I'd love to give Tate some time to work on her game and her gameplan and see what happens in a rematch. Give it a year and we'll see a different fight. Will be fun to watch.

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
this is certainly true.

but who else is out there?

carano is making movies

the she beast cyborg was doping and is irrelevant now.

rousey isnt just winning, she is destroying people. Before this fight, her longest fight was 44 SECONDS.

this one was just over 4 minutes, and tate is as good as any woman out there.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
this is certainly true.

Who was out there before Rousey? Or in other words, we all know Rousey's name now... when's the first time you heard it? 3 weeks ago? 3 months ago?

Point is, it's a shallow field because there hasn't been a lot of attention on it. There are lots of female athletes out there competing and training.

TF, I don't disagree with your assessment of Rousey. You're spot on. I'm just a little more optimistic that there are other "Rouseys" out there waiting for a chance and someone to notice them. They're training hard and looking for a break.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who said I didnt think Rousey was the real deal? Olympic Judo?

I've liked this chick since I saw an interview with her a few months ago. I love the cut of her jib.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
this is certainly true.

carano is making movies

the she beast cyborg was doping and is irrelevant now.

rousey isnt just winning, she is destroying people. Before this fight, her longest fight was 44 SECONDS.

this one was just over 4 minutes, and tate is as good as any woman out there.

Carano might come back to fight her, though I doubt it.

There's some gals at Greg Jackson's, though......

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i hope so, a sport isnt buildt on ONE superstar, you need a field of solid skilled fighters.

Rousey might be head and shoulders on top right now, but she will need good fights to help the sport grow.

Who was out there before Rousey? Or in other words, we all know Rousey's name now... when's the first time you heard it? 3 weeks ago? 3 months ago?

Point is, it's a shallow field because there hasn't been a lot of attention on it. There are lots of female athletes out there competing and training.

TF, I don't disagree with your assessment of Rousey. You're spot on. I'm just a little more optimistic that there are other "Rouseys" out there waiting for a chance and someone to notice them. They're training hard and looking for a break.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I first heard of Rousey in 04 when she qualified for the Olympics in Athens. There was a nice piece on her on the local news. (I live in the same state)
Mom was a World Judo champ. Taught Ronda arm bars when she was still in Garanimals. (Can you imagine?) Not only is the girl a seasoned veteran, and a true armbaroholic, she's just plain tough as hard wood.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Props to both women. That was a great match. Both are the real deal.

Seeing the match, I do have to wonder how Rousey will fare when she faces an opponent that can sit down on thier striking a bit, creating power like what a skilled boxer would do. I do pity anyone that Rousey gets top position on in a scramble.

Latest Discussions