169 pounder vrs 600 pounder

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh boy, strange is a good choice of word!

Are these kinds of weight mismatches common? What is the context of this match?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Commentator was right.
Jump Spin Heel Kick.

Trying to Box a 600 Pound Sumo Wrestler who was height arm arm reach superior to Yours is silly.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I saw the title I actually thought this was in reference to Keith Hackney's fight of Mr. Yarborough in the early UFC. Hackney was a Kenpo guy before going full out with his MMA training. Mr. Hackney broke his hand in the fight, from what I've heard.

[yt]1iNWN2QCivE[/yt]

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought for the day,

To be learned
:
No matter how big the problem is, if you just keep pecking away at it, what you perceived as a big problem becomes manageable.

OP
Jason Striker II

Jason Striker II

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I saw the title I actually thought this was in reference to Keith Hackney's fight of Mr. Yarborough in the early UFC. Hackney was a Kenpo guy before going full out with his MMA training. Mr. Hackney broke his hand in the fight, from what I've heard.

[yt]1iNWN2QCivE[/yt]

This is what it also reminded me of. Both of these matches were interesting just for giving some kind of idea for dealing with an attacker that big.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Oh boy, strange is a good choice of word!

Are these kinds of weight mismatches common? What is the context of this match?

Some of the Japanese productions like to put on some of these mismatch fights:

Last edited by a moderator:

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Royce Gracie also fought Akibono (?) one of the Sumo champs in PrideFC. Before the UFC attempted to get sanctioning as a legitimate sport, there were no weight classes so you had some mismatches. They created weight classes to give itself a chance to survive and move away from the "human cockfighting" appearance and the "no holds barred" labels.

In Japan, they didn't have such cares and would pit unmatched fighters against each other (in size, not necessarily in skill). In Japan, you also didn't have drug testing, so you might notice that many of the Pride fighters were alot bigger than in their UFC fights.

OP
Jason Striker II

Jason Striker II

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Royce Gracie also fought Akibono (?) one of the Sumo champs in PrideFC. Before the UFC attempted to get sanctioning as a legitimate sport, there were no weight classes so you had some mismatches. They created weight classes to give itself a chance to survive and move away from the "human cockfighting" appearance and the "no holds barred" labels.

In Japan, they didn't have such cares and would pit unmatched fighters against each other (in size, not necessarily in skill). In Japan, you also didn't have drug testing, so you might notice that many of the Pride fighters were alot bigger than in their UFC fights.

Watched it on youtube - hadn't seen it. Thanks!