ok, Rousey is the real deal, clearly

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is she really the real deal? I mean, it took her almost a whole minute to win her last fight ;)

J/K

At one point early in the fight it looked like Kaufman was going to try and lift up Rousey and then slam her back down like she did to that gal in another fight and knocked her out. But Rousey is simply to tall/big for Kaufman to pull it off. She tried though so I give her credit for trying. Clearly a decisive win for Rousey.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Is she really the real deal? I mean, it took her almost a whole minute to win her last fight ;)

J/K

At one point early in the fight it looked like Kaufman was going to try and lift up Rousey and then slam her back down like she did to that gal in another fight and knocked her out. But Rousey is simply to tall/big for Kaufman to pull it off. She tried though so I give her credit for trying. Clearly a decisive win for Rousey.
Standing up in an armbar is risky. Often, in MMA, they're slick enough with sweat to pull it off. But within the first minute of a fight, and with someone who has such a tight armbar, it's begging to make the joint lock even tighter.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
None of the women are close to Ronda, she's the only one with high level grappling and there isn't really any high level striking in women's MMA, regardless of what Gina Carano claims to be good at.

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
None of the women are close to Ronda, she's the only one with high level grappling and there isn't really any high level striking in women's MMA, regardless of what Gina Carano claims to be good at.

There are BJJ black belts and champions in women's MMA--in fact, Ronda armbarred one of them (Ediane Gomes)--so I wouldn't say that there is no high level grappling outside of Ronda, but Ronda is definitely on another level. As far as the striking goes, I sometimes see very good striking and other times very bad striking, even from the same fighters, so there is definitely a consistency issue as much as anything. I think the more WMMA is built-up and publicized the more money it will make and the more women will start training, and that will increase the talent pool and the level of skill overall. Until then, Ronda is the top of the food chain!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are BJJ black belts and champions in women's MMA--in fact, Ronda armbarred one of them (Ediane Gomes)--so I wouldn't say that there is no high level grappling outside of Ronda, but Ronda is definitely on another level. As far as the striking goes, I sometimes see very good striking and other times very bad striking, even from the same fighters, so there is definitely a consistency issue as much as anything. I think the more WMMA is built-up and publicized the more money it will make and the more women will start training, and that will increase the talent pool and the level of skill overall. Until then, Ronda is the top of the food chain!

At her weight! She dropped weight so as not to face Cyborg though. There is more than one weight category in womens MMA, Rousey is not the only female MMA fighter who is good, as I said she's good at her weight.

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
just cant give credit, you have to put qualifiers on it......predictable

cyborg doesnt even merit a mention, she is a cheating man ***** and should be banned for life, and if they havnt already, all her fights should be reversed, and declared for the girls she fought AND CHEATED to beat.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just cant give credit, you have to put qualifiers on it......predictable

cyborg doesnt even merit a mention, she is a cheating man ***** and should be banned for life, and if they havnt already, all her fights should be reversed, and declared for the girls she fought AND CHEATED to beat.

Diddums, of course you have to put a qualifier on it lol, its the same for the men, you look at the weight classes and then say such and such fighter is the best in his weight class, don't let boobs and bums cloud your judgement. Lets look at this professionally. BTW Rousey changed weight categories before Cyborg was decalered to be taking illegal substances.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diddums, of course you have to put a qualifier on it lol, its the same for the men, you look at the weight classes and then say such and such fighter is the best in his weight class, don't let boobs and bums cloud your judgement. Lets look at this professionally. BTW Rousey changed weight categories before Cyborg was decalered to be taking illegal substances.

She probably didn't do it to avoid Gina Carano or Cyborg, though-she did it because it put her four minutes away from a championship....:lol:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tate is much hotter, if i was gonna let mini me guide my choices, i would be a tate fanboy, so nice try but no

I don't know why you are thinking this is against Rousey, there are five weight categories in women's MMA, Straw, Fly, Superfly, Bantam and Featherweight. there's a top ten in each weight in the world rankings, Rousey heads the latter two, I'm sure she'd be the first to point out that she is the best at the moment at those weights. It takes nothing from her to point out she doesn't head the first three weights.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why you are thinking this is against Rousey, there are five weight categories in women's MMA, Straw, Fly, Superfly, Bantam and Featherweight. there's a top ten in each weight in the world rankings, Rousey heads the latter two, I'm sure she'd be the first to point out that she is the best at the moment at those weights. It takes nothing from her to point out she doesn't head the first three weights.

Well, it is, Tez-Gina Carano cannot get down to 135 lbs., she had enought trouble making weight at 140, so Rousey-who is clearly comfortable at 135, would have to go up in weight to fight her. And she probably will, and she'd probably win. Frankly, I don't think Gina Carano is interested in fighting anymore, and it's easy to talk when you know it's never gonna happen....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it is, Tez-Gina Carano cannot get down to 135 lbs., she had enought trouble making weight at 140, so Rousey-who is clearly comfortable at 135, would have to go up in weight to fight her. And she probably will, and she'd probably win. Frankly, I don't think Gina Carano is interested in fighting anymore, and it's easy to talk when you know it's never gonna happen....

Carano? I wasn't talking about her fighting at all, it's Cyborg who is making a lot of noise about Rousey cutting weight to avoid fighting here, she's made a few statements about it recently.

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Carano? I wasn't talking about her fighting at all, it's Cyborg who is making a lot of noise about Rousey cutting weight to avoid fighting here, she's made a few statements about it recently.

Cyborg is trying to stay relevent after she got caught using steroids, so take it with a grain of salt. She can't fight again until December and is trying to not be forgotton, or remembered as a cheater by tossing heat someone elses way.
She's calling out the champ in a weight class below hers for a catchweight bout.
1) The champ doesn't come to you, you come to the champ to challenge, that's way it's always been. That's the way it should be.
2) Cyborg could probably make the 135 weight class if she'd stop roiding, but then she'd lose her big size and strength advantage over her opponents.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rousey needs to work on her stand up/striking game if only to round out her abilities. Most of her fights look like a wading in...grab...throw...break...affair. Its been working for her. Cant deny that. Till it stops working.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cyborg is trying to stay relevent after she got caught using steroids, so take it with a grain of salt. She can't fight again until December and is trying to not be forgotton, or remembered as a cheater by tossing heat someone elses way.
She's calling out the champ in a weight class below hers for a catchweight bout.
1) The champ doesn't come to you, you come to the champ to challenge, that's way it's always been. That's the way it should be.
2) Cyborg could probably make the 135 weight class if she'd stop roiding, but then she'd lose her big size and strength advantage over her opponents.

Absolutely, she's been bumping her gums alot about Rousey at the moment however what she was saying about Rousey dropping weight to avoid fighting her was before the steroid use was out, as it were, (though it was obvious to anyone with half an idea of what steroids do!) There's enough in it that it could well be true that Rousey cut weight so that she didn't have to fight her...tbh I would!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
why wasnt cyborg banned for life?
Because there's an administrative process. But it's pretty clear that she's been juicing for a long time. I tend to agree with Rousey that if Cyborg were to stop juicing, she'd lose weight. She'd also be a lot less dominant. Look at most of the guys who came to the UFC from Pride. Guys like Wanderlei Silva who had dropped two weight classes now and is also far less dominant than he was in Pride. Shogun Rua was a Pride heavyweight and is now fighting at LHW with mixed success. Rampage Jackson... he's still a big LHW, but he's not fighting as a heavy weight and is also far less dominant than he was in Pride.

Point is, Rousey's right to put the pressure on Cyborg.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because there's an administrative process. But it's pretty clear that she's been juicing for a long time. I tend to agree with Rousey that if Cyborg were to stop juicing, she'd lose weight. She'd also be a lot less dominant. Look at most of the guys who came to the UFC from Pride. Guys like Wanderlei Silva who had dropped two weight classes now and is also far less dominant than he was in Pride. Shogun Rua was a Pride heavyweight and is now fighting at LHW with mixed success. Rampage Jackson... he's still a big LHW, but he's not fighting as a heavy weight and is also far less dominant than he was in Pride.

Point is, Rousey's right to put the pressure on Cyborg.

I'm not sure it's Rousey putting pressure on Cyborg rather than it's Cyborg trying to put pressure on her to put the weight back on and fight her as she would 'need' the fight more. Cyborg does have a point in saying Rousey went down a weight to avoid her which I do actually think she did and frankly who can blame her. It would be sensible. However Rousey will have to up her game whatever she decides to do.

Latest Discussions