Officer Involved In Fatal Crash

No that is a way to break a girl's heart...

LOL

You came back and whined nobody said anything.

Face it. People are just not so easily outraged anymore.
What do you want us to do? Run around hysterically yell 'ZOMFG ZOMFG'
I don't get it.

No, I didn't whine, I bumped the thread. But seriously, why are you here again troll?

Derail? I am usually the first to admit to a good derailment, but this is on topic, the opinion you asked for.

Honest to goodness.
had a cop shoot a naked man with a knife at my former home town one day, claimed self defense...the nekked dude was a long way away...I seriously gave up wondering.

I did mention I am a cynic, didn't I.

I don't really get where you are going at.

But then again, my GPS burned up over Thanksgiving.

Honestly havent seen 1 post from you yet that was anywhere near productive. But keep on doing what you're doing. Rack up those off topic posts. Its clear that you're not interested in this topic. Please leave.

I understand, you saw something and thought someone might be interested. It involved a tragedy caused by reckless behavior, behavior that may not have been a one time offense, and it caught your attention. Granfire has issues. Not the best person I've seen here on Martialtalk. My brother is a police officer. It is a tough job and sometimes the wrong people get the badge. Once it is investigated I hope they do what is right. I hate to see people with messed up lives screw up to the point they start hurting others.

I understand, you saw something and thought someone might be interested. It involved a tragedy caused by reckless behavior, behavior that may not have been a one time offense, and it caught your attention. Granfire has issues. Not the best person I've seen here on Martialtalk. My brother is a police officer. It is a tough job and sometimes the wrong people get the badge. Once it is investigated I hope they do what is right. I hate to see people with messed up lives screw up to the point they start hurting others.

I agree, it is a tough job. Like I said, I'm not anti cop, and while DUIs happen all the time, there is, IMO, a bit of a difference here. Given the fact that numerous people left messages on that papers site, I figured it'd be worth a discussion here as well. :)

IMO, being a LEO wasn't in the cards for this kid. Sadly, he got hired and now these actions certainly dont paint a good picture, not only for the LEOs of that dept, but everywhere.

Let's cop bash. Oh wait, that's against the rules.
Never mind.

Some people aren't cut out to be cops, and some departments need to do a better job in hiring.

Let's cop bash. Oh wait, that's against the rules.
Never mind.

Some people aren't cut out to be cops, and some departments need to do a better job in hiring.

Agreed on both points. Re: the 2nd part of your post....that was kinda what I wanted to talk about here, which of course was briefly sidetracked....but how could someone hire this guy? Clearly, he isn't cut out for a LE job. I guess in this case, we could thank daddy for that one.

ATTENTION ALL USERS

Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level.

Please review our sniping policy:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71377.

Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). Thank you.

-Ronald Shin
-MT Supermoderator

It is interesting that you have to say you aren't cop bashing. From your post it is obvious that you aren't, but I guess that you have to say it. I feel your pain. Not knowing the details of how he was hired, I guess his father being in the department may have been the reason. What a nightmare for the people involved. Keep in mind though, does the article say how far he went in the hiring process at the other towns. A lot of people I know who want to be cops apply all over and go to tests at the various towns. Then they get put on waiting lists until there is an opening.

It is interesting that you have to say you aren't cop bashing. From your post it is obvious that you aren't, but I guess that you have to say it. I feel your pain.

The only thing that I hate is all the dishonesty.

Not knowing the details of how he was hired, I guess his father being in the department may have been the reason. What a nightmare for the people involved. Keep in mind though, does the article say how far he went in the hiring process at the other towns. A lot of people I know who want to be cops apply all over and go to tests at the various towns. Then they get put on waiting lists until there is an opening.

Yes, in this article.

"By the time he was hired by the Windsor Locks department in 2008, Koistinen had been rejected by departments in his hometown of Suffield, in South Windsor, East Windsor and Simsbury, and by the state police. In two cases, he failed the physical agility test; in three others, his written and/or verbal test scores were too low to advance in the hiring process, the personnel file reveals."

In the actual paper, it listed exactly what he failed in each dept. In todays paper, the chief is calling for him to be terminated. I guess we'll see what happens next. As for the process....yes, its a long PITA. LOL. I went thru it a few times myself. Its certainly a very competitive job though. My town that I live in recently had a test. Over 200 apps for 1 position.

Agreed on both points. Re: the 2nd part of your post....that was kinda what I wanted to talk about here, which of course was briefly sidetracked....but how could someone hire this guy? Clearly, he isn't cut out for a LE job. I guess in this case, we could thank daddy for that one.
Well, the reality is that I wouldn't be at all suprised if his father did clear the way...

But it's hard for me to judge from the brief details in the article.

He did crappy in college... Well, I know a school where it's not at all uncommon for people to have stellar GPAs their first year because they're more than a little distracted with the other stuff they're dealing with, and sometimes, what the corporals think of your shoe shine seems more important than a test... Bad grades reflect work attitude at school, and may indicate failing to learn the material. Or just testing badly. Or a learning disorder. But they aren't that big a deal, because the stuff you need to know is taught in the academy.

His academy performance is a bigger concern, and the irony that he did best in the DUI stuff is hard to miss... There are red flags there, and it really doesn't help that he barely met the training requirements in the time alotted -- but he did meet them. Like the joke about med school, what do you call the guy who graduated last in the police academy? Officer.

According to the article, as I recall, he failed to score high enough on two written tests as an applicant. That's kind of scary, because most of the police aptitude exams are pretty easy to pass... They're basically a tool to figure out if the person's got a little bit of judgement, has the basic reading comprehension, writing and math skills needed, and shows potential to learn what they need to learn. He failed a physical ability test; it doesn't say why. Maybe he tripped and lost too much time on run, or was sick that day... That doesn't have much to do with this particular incident.

The psych eval, as reported, is pretty typical for a young applicant. Especially in this age of helicopter parents and prolonged adolescence.

It absolutely seems that there were some serious problems in how the PD handled the incident. But not all of that was the PD's fault; if he refused, on lawyer's advice, to take the test... he refused.

I don't know about the rest of the departments, but when my brother reached the psych evaluation stage they asked the question "Do you want to be a police officer because you get to carry a gun," It was that question or one close to it. After he answered no, my brother asked the questioner if anyone ever said yes to that question, the guy said yeah, sometimes they do.

what difficulties was he having?
You take one event and turn it into 'difficulties'
Though admittedly not likely, this might have been the man's first ever drink.

he took him to the police station? now what is wrong with that, it's not like he went home...so more people have seen his drunk behind, not just the crew that secured the accident...

I try to avoid personal shots. But I agree w/MJS you are probably one of the rudest posters i have seen in these parts for a while.

As to police hiring. try getting a PD to say something bad about a potential recruit. Everybody is so lawsuit adverse that hardly a one of them is willing to go on the record about what skeletons they dig up in a background investigation. The **** gets flushed down the line till it gets hired. It's pathetic actually and a glaring problem in the LE community.

I try to avoid personal shots. But I agree w/MJS you are probably one of the rudest posters i have seen in these parts for a while.

I guess if the honest question of 'what do you want' is rude, so be it.

I think too many people post in the study who only want a pad on the back for their opinion and get their knickers bunched up when somebody dares to disagree.

I don't know about the rest of the departments, but when my brother reached the psych evaluation stage they asked the question "Do you want to be a police officer because you get to carry a gun," It was that question or one close to it. After he answered no, my brother asked the questioner if anyone ever said yes to that question, the guy said yeah, sometimes they do.

Sadly yes, there are those that want to get on for the wrong reasons. I've hears stories about newly hired recruits flashing the badge every chance they get. IMO, the job shouldn't be about a power trip.

As to police hiring. try getting a PD to say something bad about a potential recruit. Everybody is so lawsuit adverse that hardly a one of them is willing to go on the record about what skeletons they dig up in a background investigation. The **** gets flushed down the line till it gets hired. It's pathetic actually and a glaring problem in the LE community.

Its a shame that people have to fear that suit hanging over their head. I mean if someone really is that bad of an apple, its amazing how they could sue and actually win, especially if those skeletons are that bad.

In this case, I dont know about the bones in the closet, but from what I've read in the papers, while his intentions may've been in the right place to want to become a LEO, this is one case that should never have been allowed to go thru, IMO.

Back