Objective Martial Tests

Jade Dragon Alaska

White Belt
Reaction score

Quickness

One classic test for external breaking quickness, is for a partner to lightly hold a 2 inch breaking board at the top suspended by the index finger and the thumb, then you break it. If you are just strong or fast, the board will move and not break.

It is even harder, if you hold the board yourself, but it could be argued that your holding hand is involved in propelling the board or lessening its breaking resistance.

Internal Breaking Power

An objective test to see if your breaks are using internal power; is to break boards or tiles, and examine the cleavage of the break.

An externally manifested break's pattern will be angular, irregular and jagged.

An internally generated break pattern is a symmetric wave; through the X or Y axis (horizontally or vertically), the finer particled the material, the shorter the wave length.

Internal Penetrating Power

One gets a volunteer, who places a four inch thick piece pliable material; such as a thick paperback phone book to a large city, over their abdominal area. Pliable material is used to avoid the kinetic transfer of energy associated with the billiard ball effect. This effect causes the momentum of the striking ball to be transferred to the struck ball, which is sent moving.

Start with a small testing blow, then go to ¼ strength; then increment after that. Later you can try concrete, wood or steel.

The volunteer should not: deflect, move, push back, jerk or react to the blow.

If the blow; is really more of a push, the volunteer will be moved, yet not feel the blow much.

The volunteer will feel the blow; beneath the surface, but not on the surface. This effect cannot be a billiard ball type, kinetic transfer, if a soft, pliable material, such as a phone book is used. A karate punch will only be felt on the surface.

Experts or friends; will use the sternum area of males, since an external blow will mainly be felt on, or in the surface sternum bone. Special care must be used in this area to avoid heart complications. Testing blows are not usually more than 1/3 strength in this area.

From: http://www.jadedragonalaska.com/objective-martial-tests.php

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's a really good post but I think it's in the wrong place. We don't tend to do a lot of board breaking in MMA. We break noses instead. Sorry.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm sure it's a really good post but I think it's in the wrong place. We don't tend to do a lot of board breaking in MMA. We break noses instead. Sorry.

I've seen the Ultimate Fighter. There was tons of breaking stuff.

-Rob

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:lol2: True enough!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Admin Note: Thread moved to General Martial Arts for better fit.

Latest Discussions