Martial Advantages of the Internal

Jade Dragon Alaska

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been training formally since 1972, in external, internal, hard and soft martial arts; Korean, Japanese, and Chinese.

I do not necessarily ascribe to the idea that hard is always external, nor soft always internal.

As Bob Dylan put it,
"It is the masters that make the rules,
for the wise me and the fools."

I prefer to rely on the weight of an argument, rather than just who said it.

I would rather know how to think independantly, than
parrot memorize what to think.

Mt site is: http://www.jadedragonalaska.com/

I have a new book out that emphasizes how to feel Qi for yourself, with workouts for Martial Qigong at the site. More information available on request.

For the topic at hand ...

Martial Advantages of the Internal

Punch led kicks, that carry through to punch combos; will keep energy more flowing and continuous. Seasoned Goju fighters will do this with a front punch, followed by a back leg front kick, carrying the reverse punch.

The hand-elbow-shoulder combinations are balanced by foot-knee-hip movements and spins so areas traveled can be coordinated to the swing of the velocity changes of the inertia and potential energy generated. Tiger Tae Kwon Do hand combinations are synchronized well with spin and turn-back side thrust kicks.

An externally hard; hand-elbow-shoulder combination is a skeleton based, erector set that's primary force is lever and axis/joint leveraged. In mathematics this concept is rudimentarily measure by how many triangle-rectangles in 'step-theory'. The more accurate mathematically theory of differential/integral calculus; requires an understanding of the flowing concepts of wave theory. An internal blow flows like water, with the force more efficiently delivered like a whip. Once applied, the internal conforms to the target better.

A hard-external arm blow must usually chambered/pocketed first to get it's full power; whereas an internal blow can attain killing power in two inches or less. If and when the blow misses, the hard/external fighter's movement must go the longer route back and forth to the initial launch point of the chamber/pocket. For example, most karate the chamber/pocket area for the front punch is either with the fists at the waste, or tucked up higher along the body's side ranging all the way up to the armpit, for some styles.

Internal blows can be a 'continuous and returning fist', maintaining their momentum and power as they travel and change direction, so you get many 'second chances if the first attempt does not connect. A karate front snap punch, has all the force released at the end of the blow, and is jerked/snapped back, so there is nothing left of the power generated; they have to reload! If you want to rely on that, then go ahead, not me.

A dynamic striking block (cover), can only be propelled by internal energy. This blow changes with the move of the opponent, as a a push would in Tai Chi 'push hands'. Jousting and foil fencing use a similar method.

http://www.jadedragonalaska.com/martial-internal-benefits.php

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for your post. Reminds me of what used to be taught by Jhoon Goo Rhee back in the 60's. It doesn't seem to be taught any more. Great power could be obtained by correct skeletal alignment. You mentioned a short punch. I remember once seeing a movie starring Mr. Rhee. It wasn't such a great movie, except for one punch, which traveled only about two or three inches. Understanding movies can be made to show non-reality, nonetheless, it was a powerful punch, and certainly within the capabilities of Mr. Rhee. He was terrific to watch and study under back then.

Latest Discussions