Obama's Betrayal of Public Education

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like after years of screwing up, Buffalo's going to return to something that worked. Not a perfect plan, but it's a start. Unless they screw this up too.

Neighborhood schools could be returning to Buffalo

Neighborhood schools, a vanishing educational and community tradition, may have a new future in Buffalo. Superintendent James A. Williams said he wants a review of the district's enrollment and busing policies next spring, with changes aimed for next September. (Updated: 08:35 AM)

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's great to hear. The children of Buffalo will benefit. The downside is that it will be expensive. Neighborhood schools mean having more, smaller, buildings open and housing fewer students. This plan will raise taxes.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You missed the note, our gov. is looking to double em next year.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, if that's their level of commitment...give the raise only to those who bargained collectively. The others are, indeed, on their own. Make opting-in an annual thing, like health care changes etc.

Makes for a volatile working environment and would prolong contract negotiations. Work to rule would be disastrously inequitable. As I mentioned, a licensed teacher can get a job in a private school and not be bothered with unions.

College professors do indeed consider themselves professionals--they're not licensed professionals. For the most part, only state schools have unions and not even all of those. Most schools do not have professors' unions. Tenure is as strong at private colleges (not high schools) as at public ones.

Our profs are unionized. They can also achieve tenure. There's no such thing as tenure in my profession; however, as one accrues seniority, ones position is more secure.

The popularity contest part is an argument for unions--but then, it applies to a great many workers. There's a stronger-than-usual argument for teachers as teaching styles can vary so widely, but it's hardly a given.

I wouldn't say it's a given, but my gut tells me that there are, sadly, many parents who drop their kids at school, so they can go to work. It's up to the profession to remind everybody that we're not the nanny. In general, I would say North Americans have a consumeristic view of schools.

To give you an example, a previous government in Ontario unleashed a huge package of reforms on Ontario education, including a new funding formula (which never worked), common curriculum, standardized testing, and accountability initiatives. Part of this package would have given parents the right to evaluate teachers. Naturally, my union fought it. School boards, the management of teachers, essentially circumvented the plan as well -- they weren't crazy about it either. We came perilously close to having what amounts to a popularity contest.

The problem with the customer service view of education is simply this: my job isn't to please parents. Nothing makes me happier than to have productive communications with families and to find them satisfied with what my colleagues and I provide. It's a public service, like a city bus, not a customer service, like a limo. The rider doesn't dictate the ride.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I say we should have Public Schools, Public Healtcare, Public Transporation, Public Housing and Public Libraries in America who agrees with all I just said?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I say we should have Public Schools, Public Healtcare, Public Transporation, Public Housing and Public Libraries in America who agrees with all I just said?
Sure, I love high taxes. Who doesn't?
Power to the People, Tovarishch.

Course, public schools are a failure, public health care a joke, public transportation a mess, public housing a disaster, and don't get me started on public libraries.

I'll stick to private school, private health car, owning my own car and home, and buy my own books thanks.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The problem with Public schools will never be solved.
My kids all will attend private schools and be educated as I see fit.
I really could care less if public schools just train corporate employees, and people to fit into the cog so to speak. I mean after all my kids are going to need people to work for them, and serve them food when they go out to eat.

There will never be a problem with the edge America has, more people are turning to private schools then ever before, Charter schools, and other sources of education. These parents are the ones who actually care and know enough to point their kids in the right direction.

I am not an Obama fan by any means, but the blame needs to be put on Parents, and ignorance. Too many parents dont care, and simply look at school as free daycare. But while their kids are there they expect them to be taught morals, education, common sense, to be fed, cared for, and shown and given everything that a parent should be doing.

Fix the parents first, then fix the schools.

I really don't care if other peoples kids are stupid. when I am old I am going to still want someone to cook my food, clean my house, cut my lawn, and work for me. I just need them smart enough to conquer the job at hand.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

People might if you argued for it. We already have all that and I can argue why it should continue but I think people are looking for reasons why they should consider believing in what you do.

Our public schools however are, confusingly, fee paying ie Eton, Winchester, Rugby Schools.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The problem with this attitude is that it encourages tyranny. If you are a smart person surrounded by idiots and the idiots respond to idiotic tyrannical messages crafted by societal elite, then you are worse then a sitting duck. YOUR LIFE depends on playing dumb when you know that all of this could be different. That all of it is completely wrong. Might as well get the rope now and hang yourself in shame because the mass of idiots surrounding you will catch on that you are somehow different then them...and they will do it.

That my friends is the horrible future of this country unless we make a real effort to awaken the minds of every person in this nation. Our freedom can't afford to have elite decision makers dumb us down into human resources. And if you think there is room at the top of the pyramid for you, you better learn some statistics.

A free society cannot afford mass dumbness.

Latest Discussions