Obama Day in schools Sept 8th

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I read the description of the YouTube video. Apparently, the teacher that created the video got in trouble. . . . for posting it to YouTube.

It's a inner city step-dance team, not a "indoctrinated army"

Is it really that surprising that inner-city black youth, who grow up surrounded by racism, see the first black president of the United States as a bit of a inspirational figure?

Now where did that video of the kids worshiping a cut out of George W Bush go...

This is the President of the United States addressing students in the United States regarding goal setting and hard work, the fact that pundits can turn this into a polarizing issue should be a embarrassment.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a inner city step-dance team, not a "indoctrinated army"

Is it really that surprising that inner-city black youth, who grow up surrounded by racism, see the first black president of the United States as a bit of a inspirational figure?

Now where did that video of the kids worshiping a cut out of George W Bush go...

This is the President of the United States addressing students in the United States regarding goal setting and hard work, the fact that pundits can turn this into a polarizing issue should be a embarrassment.

??? All I posted was "I read the description of the YouTube video. Apparently, the teacher that created the video got in trouble. . . . for posting it to YouTube." I didn't call them any kind of army, that they were indoctrinated, or that they should not find inspiration in Obama's election.

The problem many parents had (as well as some pundits) was the materials that asked children how they can help President Obama (D), not about the parts concerning goal setting and hard work. Personally, I didn't think it was such a big deal. A very similar thing happened in the 1990s with President Bush, once again showing how hypocritical the major parties can be when the situations are reversed.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
??? All I posted was "I read the description of the YouTube video. Apparently, the teacher that created the video got in trouble. . . . for posting it to YouTube." I didn't call them any kind of army, that they were indoctrinated, or that they should not find inspiration in Obama's election.

Sorry, I had seen it elsewhere, with Glen Beck referring to it as such and trying to connect them with The Black Panthers and militant black groups.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And if President Bush did this, the reaction would be...?

Actually, to be fair, President Bush did do this.......

....Bush 41, that is, October of 1991

<sarcasm mode "on>The outrage from both sides was simply palpable at the time..How dare he???!!!.<sarcasm mode "off"> :lol: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Todd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
And if President Bush did this, the reaction would be...?

My reaction would be the same....
Has nothing to do with Bush,Or Obama.
School is not the place for any agenda of any politition.

Isn't that entire Bush did it thing getting a little old?

And Bush didn't do it so your point is well pointless....

Oh, the humanity!

President Bush gets nearly a quarter-million letters a year from America's schoolchildren. Now he's looking for more.

Bush appealed to students Tuesday to write him with ideas for improving their schools.He made the pitch at the end of a nationally televised speech from an eighth-grade classroom, urging students to "make it your mission to get a good education."

Perched on a stool in front of a blackboard at the District of Columbia's Alice Deal Junior High School, the president said, "Let me know how you're doing. Write me a letter.

"I'm serious about this one," he emphasized. "Write me a letter about ways you can help us achieve our goals."

"I think you know the address," he added with a smile.

Bush exhorted students to insist on "a first-class education."

"Take control. Don't say school is boring and blame it on your teachers. Make your teachers work hard. . . . Tell them that you're here to learn," he said.

He also admonished them to "block out the kids who think it's not cool to be smart. I can't understand for the life of me what's so great about being stupid."

Bush's address was telecast nationally by CNN and the Public Broadcasting Service...
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/186081/

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe I'm nuts to take a chance like this, but (gulp) I've decided to go ahead and watch the speech today. I know I risk getting indoctrinated and may be come an "Obamatron". Still, I'm going to watch it and try to view it as objectively as I can. If tomorrow you catch me posting, "I... serve... my... President... smootch (kissing bicep)..." Well then you'll know I paid the ultimate price. Wish me luck.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Maybe I'm nuts to take a chance like this, but (gulp) I've decided to go ahead and watch the speech today. I know I risk getting indoctrinated and may be come an "Obamatron". Still, I'm going to watch it and try to view it as objectively as I can. If tomorrow you catch me posting, "I... serve... my... President... smootch (kissing bicep)..." Well then you'll know I paid the ultimate price. Wish me luck.
LOL. Good luck, Geezer.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score

It's funny because you actually come off sounding indoctrinated. :rofl:

Latest Discussions