Obama...messes up off shore...too bad he isn't Bush...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm...Mr. Wonderful screws up again...it is a shame he isn't a Republican, more people would here about it...endlessly...24/7...non stop...

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/n...rack-obama-blunders-again-on-the-world-stage/

On his trip to Asia this week, President Obama struggled to pronounce the name of Aung San Suu Kyi, the most prominent human rights activist in the world. As The Associated Press reports (hat tip: Drudge Report):
As Obama stood next to the world's most recognized democracy icon, he mispronounced her name repeatedly.
Ever gracious, Suu Kyi did not correct her American guest for calling her Aung YAN Suu Kyi multiple times during his statement to reporters after their meeting.
Proper pronunciation for the Nobel laureate's name is Ahng Sahn Soo Chee.
Obama also “botched” his greeting of Burma’s new president, according to the AP:
The meeting came after Obama met with Myanmar's reformist new President Thein Sein – a name he also botched.
As the two addressed the media, Obama called his counterpart "President Sein," an awkward, slightly affectionate reference that would make most Burmese cringe.
Note to presidential advisers: For future rounds of diplomacy, the president of Myanmar is President Thein Sein – on first and second reference.
In addition, as The Weekly Standard notes, Obama was quick to use the Burmese regime’s preferred word “Myanmar”, to describe Burma, which is not the term officially used by the US government, or by Burma’s opposition activists.
President Barack Obama called Burma 'Myanmar' after a bilateral meeting with Thein Sein, the president of that country. From the pool report:
Obama used the word "Myanmar," the preferred terminology of the former military government and currently nominally civilian government, in a spray following the bilat, rather than use "Burma," the former name of the country, and the one preferred by Aung San Suu Kyi as well as the name the U.S. uses.

It is rather embarrassing, as well as sad, that the leader of the free world can’t even pronounce the name of the most famous human rights activist on the planet. Or that he is so quick to appease Burma’s authoritarian regime by calling it “Myanmar”. Barack Obama’s gaffes demonstrate not only a marked lack of attention to detail and a high degree of amateurishness on the part of the White House, but also a disturbing willingness to curry favour with unsavoury regimes.

Yeah, this isn't new...but it was old the first four years...

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, obama is still whining about Bush and obama is the President...and people never seem to forget every little thing Bush did...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, one could expect that someone in the position of President would receive proper coaching on such things from their staff. Things like proper forms of address, pronunciation, and so forth.

He's not a tourist.

At least he didn't "make a Bush" on anyone. ;)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I can forgiv accents, but it should really be a priority to give the big guy a phonetic spelling of important names and places.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, obama is still whining about Bush and obama is the President...and people never seem to forget every little thing Bush did...

So all the Americans lives lost in Iraq is "a little thing?" That war should of never been. He was the screw up of all time. A total embarrassment to all Americans.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly, he should have been better prepped. The Burmese aren't pissed about it though, so why should anyone else be? With Bush and later Romney, the host country's reaction was a little different.

Bill C, you really are starting to sound like a child that is upset about his favorite team losing. Its time to accept it and move on.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill C, you really are starting to sound like a child that is upset about his favorite team losing. Its time to accept it and move on.

Good advice for a lot of GOP supporters out there. Unless you're against the democratic process...

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score

536717_485850941448894_89422301_n.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems odd that a while ago when I remarked that in America people didn't seem to pronounce Michael Bisping's surname properly I got a whole load of stuff back to the effect that 'we'll pronounce it how we want to, we don't have to pronounce an English person's name the way the English person whose name it is does', it was quite a tirade from several posters yet when your President finds it hard to pronounce a foreign name he's the devil incarnate. Some people find certain words hard to pronounce despite coaching, simple. it could have also been a simple slip up, hands up who's never made one of them, he's the President not a robot.

If you want to criticise him, do so for not bringing up the fact that Buddhists are killing and burning out Muslims in Burma. Has that story even been running in America?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20264279

perhaps the visit was too soon? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20386066

There's serious discussions that should take place but a discussion about a mispronounciation isn't among them, it's petty, puerile and so totally unimportant.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Obama did address the Buddhist/Muslim problem, though indirectly. In his speach he mentioned equal rights for everyone in the country, and it was supposedly directed at that problem. According to administration people, that was one of the things he addressed with the leader of Burma and just one of the things financial aid will be dependant upon.

The Buhddist/Muslim problem has not been covered very much by our media. Seems the media is too caught up with Patreous and Benghazi to pay attention to murdered people in another country. That doesn't say a lot for our media.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I say give President Obama a break already. There comes a time, when as a nation, we need to stand behind our duly appointed leaders. The Bush days are past, and to be honest we should let it go and focus on so many more important things.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, he isn't. The only time Bush is ever brought up is when Republicans want to blame the recession on Obama or when Obama has a verbal misque to point out the hypocritical nature of the critisism.

I don't know if some of you have noticed, but we've had an election recently. Obama won. Most people, liberals and conservatives, are putting aside the devisive politics and trying to get things done to help the country. It might be time for some to rethink the sour grapes mentality.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Winning or losing is over, that's what the election was all about. Now, is the time to give and take, and the party that takes the hard stand, that party, will be perceived as antiquated and irrelevant.

The American public needs to see action, and something getting done. Then they can decide, as they did, who is the best party for the job.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't like Obama. He won. I still don't like him. So what?
I can sit here and be angry, fume, vent, lash out, etc, or, I can push to fix things as I see them, through my elected officials, through proper channels, through legal means.

Personally, I think he's still not qualified for the job, continues to make misstep after misstep showing his ill preparedness, and find his so called Constitutional expertise to be sorely lacking. He doesn't understand business, having little exposure to real business. He's arrogant, smug and pompous, and many of his biggest supporters are the same way.

But, he won, and will be the figurehead for 4 more years. Afterward, we can look forward to either a Biden or Clinton run, or maybe the head of the KKK on the GOP ticket if things go as they have so far. Either way, we're fubar.

So I'm going to enjoy the slide, mock em all, until they come for me, or the world ends in a few weeks.

If I'm still here in 2014, I'm running for NY Gov, and in 2016, I'll take another shot at the Oval Orface. Why, cuz it's all fun and games until someone gets shot in the face.

So stay away from Cheney.

:D

Latest Discussions