Not One Minute Too Soon

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fred *spit* Phelps has given vicious cruel bastards a bad name with his "G-d Hates Fags" and "Thank G-d for IEDs" protests at the funerals of Gay people and servicepeople. He must also be living a charmed life as nobody has stomped a mudhole in him.

Things just got a little more difficult for the man (I use the term loosely).

A Federal Judge just ordered the Westboro Baptist Church and the Phelps-Chartered Law offices seized, sealed and sold. Proceeds will pay for some of the $5 million in fines that his group owes in a suit stemming from one of the military funerals he disrupted.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I hope this guy disappears into a deep dark financial hole and the press just leaves him alone. The more he is even talked about, the more he and his cult hurt us all. Shun. Shun. Shun. There's a reason people don't name their kids Adolf anymore. We should extend the "courtesy" to Phelps and his ilk.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I saw this person in a documentary recently. As dispicable as many of his actions, I still could not help but feel pity for a man obviously suffering from the early stages of dementia, and waning in his mental abilities with age.

Time is a great leveler, and we all will have to account for our actions in the end. No one gets off this planet alive.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This vermin's victims are people who put their lives on the line to defend his right to piss on their graves...

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
And it is only a matter of time until he joins them.

I do not wish death on anyone, but I have often wondered if his followers would see HIS death as a sign of God's judgment on HIS actions.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And it is only a matter of time until he joins them.

I do not wish death on anyone, but I have often wondered if his followers would see HIS death as a sign of God's judgment on HIS actions.

That would be reasoning consistently... not a strength of these people, I'd say. To say that a Supreme Creator hates creatures who only exist because of that Creation... what weird perversion of logic could lead you to believe that? An omnipotent creator who brings into beings objects s/he hates is... hell, I can't get my mind around that concept!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I only know of this cults actions through the infamy of the media but I found the posts appended to the linked 'news' article to be quite revealing; moreso than the article in point of fact.

I am happy that someone has at long last taken legal action against the reprehensible actvities of the head of this group but am also a little concerned that the 'baying for blood' (understandable as it may be) will cloud the legal issues.

I've seen a documentary (Louis Theroux if I remember correctly) on these people and, apart from the head-honcho, most of them seemed like the familiar 'type' of mislead, religiously inclined, followers. The same sort of benign brainwashing that you see in every religion.

I just hope that the desire to strike back at the 'church' does not turn into a witchhunt for all of the individual members.

Footnote: I only single-quote 'news' in the paragraph above because Ad-Supported sites always make me think a little about the accuracy of what is put forward - I'm English, I'm used to serious news being presented studiously, so when an article is surrounded by adverts for slimming products it affects my judgement.

OP
tellner

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've crossed horns with a couple of the people from the WBC but never met Fred Phelps himself. They had a very brittle sugar-coated exterior. Smiling. Earnest. But just past the surface there was nothing that could be seen besides hate for everyone who wasn't them and adoration for their leader.

You're absolutely right. It would be a terrible thing if justice were lost on the way to the (laudable) goal of stopping them from hurting the bereaved. When Fred's fifteen minutes are up and the cult falls back into obscurity I doubt that many will care one way or the other about the other members. Some of the families may. I don't know what to say about that. Forgiveness is better than vengeance? The cultists should have thought of that before they stepped over the line?

Most likely they'll just get on with their lives.

Latest Discussions