Now, I know why they killed him...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MLK's last speech, the day before he died. He knew he was a target. He was telling the people who threatened him to shove it.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd be careful assuming that.... the sixties featured violent nutcases of every stripe shooting and bombing all over the country. Plus, there were any number of racists who'd have seen this black leader as a threat - look what happened in the South in that era.

I am not satisfied we know all who were involved in murdering Dr King - or all the awful reasons why.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I found this interesting, but this is really a parallel discussion to what I was trying to get at with this thread. So much of what MLK said is STILL so relevent today. In the 40 years since Vietnam, we have moved even further down the dark road that MLK predicted.

I'm pretty sure the military industrial complex had a hand in silencing Dr. King. The aweful things this inspires should twist the guts of every American as we contemplate our present course.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
MLK's last speech, the day before he died. He knew he was a target. He was telling the people who threatened him to shove it.
I was listening to this just the other day on the radio, and I am convinced for myself that he knew he was going to get hit! If people believe in G-d, they may believe that King was given insight, that he was about to get killed?

I have been thinking about this since I have heard that radio show. I assume that if *I* were in his position, I would have been STRONGLY thinking about telling someone else, "You know the story now, you know the ideas, so YOU go talk from now on, and I am going to go into hiding." Seriously.

But I know that this man King was not just talking some talk, he was ready to die for all of this type of social change. I do not know a lot about this man, I have never studied him, but from that show, he was a regular guy, he had some goings on with women. He was not a perfect guy, but yet, he was cock-strong about these freaking ideas, no joke, even to get killed.

He was not a martial artist, but I have a LOT of respect for this man. I even started crying when I heard one of his speeches. I am convinced that he truly believed in this "loving ways". It was not just empty talk.

This demonstrates to me that human beings can rise to a high level of thinking, of realizing important things, of great ways of living, of society.

Right. Right now, though I am a dullard about history, I say, he inspires me now when I listen to these sound tracks! No one is perfect, but he was a special person.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the military industrial complex had a hand in silencing Dr. King. The aweful things this inspires should twist the guts of every American as we contemplate our present course.

I don't mean to write too much, but what does it matter? There were historians on the show saying that King would only feel comfortable in rooms with no windows, because he was thinking, "I am going to get killed." Also, he would look up quick when someone entered the room, thinking, "is this person here to kill me?"

All manner of people wanted this guy to go away, for any number of reasons. He was rocking the boat, yes. Cutting against the grain, and not just for himself, but for something bigger than himself, that can persist into the future generations. Again, no one is perfect, I am not one to declare anyone to be a saint, above humanness.

I just have to say, if this man were alive today, I would greatly like to take personal counsel from him, to hear him talk to me directly. I can feel love from his speeches. He greatly inspires me. His speeches persist now. I wish to thank the original poster for sharing these.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is no doubt that black hating whites all over the country praised and rejoiced the man who pulled the trigger and hitting his target. Even where King was hit, the lower jaw, blasting it away to pieces, seem fitting to silencing a man who did his fighting with words of love, intolerance to hatred and brotherhood for all mankind.
But it was Ray and his brothers alone that conspired to kill King. Many other groups may have had their own conspiracy and well laid plans but Ray beat them to it. Saving them the trouble.
Just as many mourned the loss of John Kennedy when he was shot there were an equal number who rejoiced. Same with Bobby Kennedy.
These men great as they were, much loved were also much hated. It was hatred that finally brought them down. This we must NEVER forget. The power of hate.
Though love triumphed in the end as in the case of Dr. ML King we are seeing racism slowly but surely becoming a thing of the past.
Yes, there are still hold outs bearing hate in their hearts but they are rapidly becoming a minority themselves and becoming fewer with each generation. In time it will be a bad memory, a bad dream.
It is up to each of us to carry King's message to the generations before us. To see his Dream fulfilled.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I found somewhat stupid video about the MLK and FBI assassination link. Apparently, according to the article presented in the video, Daniel Ellsberg, the pentagon papers writer and Watergate burgulary target, sent a notorized statement from a government official to the House Committee on Assassinations that implicated six off duty FBI officers in the attack. Ellsberg's source came forward later and recanted that he gave Ellsberg.

I think that all this shows is that we probably don't know all of the circumstances surrounding MLK's death. From the little research that I've done on the topic, I am not convinced it was Ray. And from the things that he was saying in first speech the quo bono shadow falls on an unsurprising institution.

I guess what surprises me most is that what MLK had to say about Vietnam 40 years ago, still applies today. We, as a nation, are still facing the "triple evils" that he had expanded the movement he led to fight. Militarism, materialism, and racism are religious issues and I believe that MLK was truly standing for what he believed by standing against them.

upnorthkyosa

ps - I wish I could have actually found the article rather then posting that video. I disagree with the way that it was presented. People with their Matrix fantasy irritate me.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
The part of the dream the DNC doesn't want to come true...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The part of the dream the DNC doesn't want to come true...

You know, Don-enough. Give it a rest.

My parents were Democrats-marched on Selma and Washington with Dr. King. I've voted Democrat, been a registered Republican, and now I am neither.

The Civil Rights act was championed by a Democratic President, LBJ-a southerner from Texas who learned to think outside the box he'd been born in, and do what he thought was right for the country.

And sure, some Democrats have been segregationists, and some opposed the Civil Rights act, let's look at how the voting went on that act, shall we?

From Wikipedia

Vote totals
Totals are in "Yes-No" format:

The original House version: 290-130 (69%-31%)
The Senate version: 73-27 (73%-27%)
The Senate version, as voted on by the House: 289-126 (70%-30%)

By party
The original House version:

Democratic Party: 164-96 (63%-37%)
Republican Party: 138-34 (80%-20%)
The Senate version:

Democratic Party: 46-22 (68%-32%)
Republican Party: 27-6 (82%-18%)
The Senate version, voted on by the House:

Democratic Party: 153-91 (63%-37%)
Republican Party: 186-35 (84%-16%)

By party and region
Note : "Southern", as used in this section, refers to members of Congress from the eleven states that made up the Confederate States of America in the American Civil War. "Northern" refers to members from the other 39 states, regardless of the geographic location of those states.

The original House version:

Southern Democrats: 7-87 (7%-93%)
Southern Republicans: 0-10 (0%-100%)
Northern Democrats: 145-9 (94%-6%)
Northern Republicans: 138-24 (85%-15%)
The Senate version:

Southern Democrats: 1-20 (5%-95%) (only Senator Ralph Yarborough of Texas voted in favor)
Southern Republicans: 0-1 (0%-100%) (this was Senator John Tower of Texas)
Northern Democrats: 45-1 (98%-2%) (only Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia opposed the measure)
Northern Republicans: 27-5 (84%-16%) (Senators Bourke Hickenlooper of Iowa, Barry Goldwater of Arizona, Edwin L. Mechem of New Mexico, Milward L. Simpson of Wyoming, and Norris H. Cotton of New Hampshire opposed the measure

By your twisted logic, I suppose we could say that Westerners oppose Dr. King's dream, or Conservatives-since Barry Goldwater is one of their Congressional saints. Or,if you prefer, Republicans, since, apparently, all the Southern Republicans but one opposed the Civil Rights Act. In any case, I'd like to know exactly how in the name of Buddha's beard, Mohammed's camel, and Jesus's blessed butthole,that the current DNC has any bearing on this thread, or the validity or absolute pig-headed absurdity of your post. The fact is, Dr. King's "dream" will probably never come true for this country-or anywhere else-until we're all one color-while some of us won't judge people by their skin color, most of us do make judgements based upon skin color-good and bad, black or white, yellow or red. The only place "the dream" really comes true is in your heart-the only country where it comes true is the one between your ears, and the "nation" that effects it is the people you keep fellowship with.

Enough, already, huh?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know, Don-enough. Give it a rest.

My parents were Democrats-marched on Selma and Washington with Dr. King. I've voted Democrat, been a registered Republican, and now I am neither.

Th Civil Rights act was championed by a Democratic President, LBJ-a southerner from Texas who learned to think outside the box he'd been born in.

And sure, some Democrats have been segregationists, and some opposed the Civil Rights act, let's look at how the voting went on that act, shall we?

From Wikipedia

By your twisted logic, I suppose we could say that Westerners oppose Dr. King's dream, or Conservatives-since Barry Goldwater is one of their Congressional saints. In any case, I'd like to know exactly how it is that the current DNC has any bearing on this thread, or the validity or absolute pig-headed absurdity of your post. The fact is, Dr. King's "dream" will probably never come true for this countryn until we're all one color-while some of us won't judge people by their skin color, most of us do make judgements based upon skin color-good and bad, black or white, yellow or red. The only place "the dream" really comes true is in your heart-the only country where it comes true is the one between your ears, and the "nation" that effects it is the people you keep fellowship with.

Enough, already, huh?
Gee, it wasn't the Republican parry who published this:
Resolved, That we reiterate with renewed energy of purpose the well considered declarations of former Conventions upon the sectional issue of Domestic slavery, and concerning the reserved rights of the States.
1. That Congress has no power under the Constitution, to interfere with or control the domestic institutions of the several States, and that such States are the sole and proper judges of everything appertaining to their own affairs, not prohibited by the Constitution; that all efforts of the abolitionists, or others, made to induce Congress to interfere with questions of slavery, or to take incipient steps in relation thereto, are calculated to lead to the most alarming and dangerous consequences; and that all such efforts have an inevitable tendency to diminish the happiness of the people and endanger the stability and permanency of the Union, and ought not to be countenanced by any friend of our political institutions.
2. That the foregoing proposition covers, and was intended to embrace the whole subject of slavery agitation in Congress; and therefore, the Democratic party of the Union, standing on this national platform, will abide by and adhere to a faithful execution of the acts known as the compromise measures, settled by the Congress of 1850; "the act for reclaiming fugitives from service or labor," included; which act being designed to carry out an express provision of the Constitution, cannot, with fidelity thereto, be repealed, or so changed as to destroy or impair its efficiency.
3. That the Democratic party will resist all attempts at renewing, in Congress or out of it, the agitation of the slavery question under whatever shape or color the attempt may be made.
4. That the Democratic party will faithfully abide by and uphold, the principles laid down in the Kentucky and Virginia resolutions of 1798, and in the report of Mr. Madison to the Virginia Legislature in 1799; that it adopts those principles as constituting one of the main foundations of its political creed, and is resolved to carry them out in their obvious meaning and import.
And that we may more distinctly meet the issue on which a sectional party, subsisting exclusively on slavery agitation, now relies to test the fidelity of the people, North and South, to the Constitution and the Union—
1. Resolved, That claiming fellowship with, and desiring the co-operation of all who regard the preservation of the Union under the Constitution as the paramount issue—and repudiating all sectional parties and platforms concerning domestic slavery, which seek to embroil the States and incite to treason and armed resistance to law in the Territories; and whose avowed purposes, if consummated, must end in civil war and disunion, the American Democracy recognize and adopt the principles contained in the organic laws establishing the Territories of Kansas and Nebraska as embodying the only sound and safe solution of the "slavery question" upon which the great national idea of the people of this whole country can repose in its determined conservatism of the Union—NON-INTERFERENCE BY CONGRESS WITH SLAVERY IN STATE AND TERRITORY, OR IN THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA.
A slightly more reputable source than wikipedia

You might also find this interesting:
LINK
Excerpt From the Louisiana Weekly:
Black Minister Seeks Racism Apology from Democratic Party

By Christopher Tidmore, Political Columnist
June 12, 2006

Despite massive outreach by the Bush Administration and senior Republicans, African-Americans continue to maintain a perception that the GOP is at best less sympathetic to the needs of the black community than the Democrats' and at worst hostile.
However, an influential member of the African-American clergy, who was one of President Clinton's highest profile supporters and worked in Democratic politics for years, has now launched a legal campaign to convince black voters that Democrats have been even more hostile to the black community and have never taken responsibility for those historic views.
Rev. Wayne Perryman, associate pastor of Mt. Calvary Christian COGIC in Seattle, Washington, first filed a significant reparations lawsuit against the Democratic Party in 2004. The suit was dismissed two times before Perryman refiled in 2005 and now the case is pending further action in the U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, Docket #0535890.
Perryman's lawsuit does not seek millions of dollars. It asks that the Democratic Party issue a national apology for what he termed its past racist policies and practices toward blacks-and that they fund production of a series of documentaries which would record and preserve the tainted legacy of the party with free distribution to all public and private schools in the country.
These reported Democratic transgressions, Perryman outlined in his book, "Unfounded Loyalty: An In-depth Look Into the Love Affair Between Blacks and the Democrats." In it, and in his lawsuit, the Seattle minister details events which occurred from 1792 through 2002 which he claims show the pattern of bias and racism from that political party.
<Snip>
"Without an apology and repentance there is no way the Democratic Party can ever sincerely honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Ms Rosa Parks; two individuals who literally gave their lives to destroy the racist programs, policies and practices that were established by the Democratic Party. And without an apology and repentance there is no way the Democratic Party can ever respect African Americans. Their past programs and practices from slavery through Jim Crow which literally destroyed the lives of millions of blacks, was an act of mass murder. And to hire an attorney to defend that racist past is not only an official endorsement of murder - it is an insult to the entire black race and to those whites who gave their lives to eliminate racial injustice."

Then there are quotes like these, from Democrat heroes:
"I hold that a Negro is not and never ought to be a citizen of the United States. I hold that this government was made on the white basis; made by the white men, for the benefit of white men and their posterity forever, and should be administered by white men and none others."
--Sen. Stephen A. Douglas (D., Ill.)

"Instead of restoring the Union, it [the Republican Party] has, so far as in its power, dissolved it, and subjected ten states, in time of profound peace, to military despotism and Negro supremacy."

--Platform of the Democratic Party, 1868
"Slavery among the whites was an improvement over independence in Africa. The very progress that the blacks have made, when--and only when--brought into contact with the whites, ought to be a sufficient argument in support of white supremacy--it ought to be sufficient to convince even the blacks themselves."

--William Jennings Bryan
"This passport which you have given me is a symbol to me of the passport which you have given me before. I do not feel that it would be out of place to state to you here on this occasion that I know that without the support of the members of this organization I would not have been called, even by my enemies, the 'Junior Senator from Alabama.' "

--Hugo Black, accepting a life membership in the Ku Klux Klan upon his election to the U.S. Senate as a Democrat from Alabama, 1926
President Truman's civil rights program "is a farce and a sham--an effort to set up a police state in the guise of liberty. I am opposed to that program. I have voted against the so-called poll tax repeal bill. . .. I have voted against the so-called anti-lynching bill."

--Rep. Lyndon B. Johnson (D., Texas), 1948
U.S. Senator, 1949-61
Senate Majority Leader, 1955-61
President, 1963-69
"Everybody likes to go to Geneva. I used to do it for the Law of the Sea conferences and you'd find these potentates from down in Africa, you know, rather than eating each other, they'd just come up and get a good square meal in Geneva."

--Sen. Ernest F. Hollings (D., S.C.) 1993
Chairman, Commerce Committee, 1987-95 and 2001-03
Candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination, 1984

Excerpt from historylearningsite.co.uk:
LINK
he Civil Rights Act of 1957 was introduced in Eisenhower’s presidency and was the act that kick-started the civil rights legislative programme that was to include the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the 1965 Voting Rights Act. Eisenhower had not been known for his support of the civil rights movement. Rather than lead the country on the issue, he had to respond to problems such as in Little Rock. He never publicly gave support to the civil rights movement believing that you could not force people to change their beliefs; such changes had to come from the heart of the people involved, not as the result of legislation from Washington. However, he did push through during his presidency the 1957 Civil Rights Act. Cynics have stated that this was simply to win the ‘Black Vote’. Up to 1957, and for a variety of reasons, only 20% of African Americans had registered to vote. In Britain, the government takes the initiative in sending out voter registration forms which individuals have to return. In America it is up to each person to take the responsibility to register their vote. In the South plain intimidation and official apathy and obstacles meant that very few African Americans registered their vote. Those that did not disqualified themselves from voting.
The 1957 Civil Rights Bill aimed to ensure that all African Americans could exercise their right to vote. It wanted a new division within the federal Justice Department to monitor civil rights abuses and a joint report to be done by representatives of both major political parties (Democrats and Representatives) on the issue of race relations.
Eisenhower, perhaps shocked by the news broadcasts of Little Rock, publicly supported the bill (it was, after all, his Attorney-General who had produced the bill). However, the final act became a much watered done affair due to the lack of support among the Democrats. The Senate leader, Lyndon Baines Johnson, was a Democrat, and he realised that the bill and its journey through Congress, could tear apart his party as it had right wing Southern senators in it and liberal west coast ones.

------
Tell me again...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 Respect is both earned and a two way street, why don't you try showing some?
2 I apologize that honesty offends you so.

I meant "respect what the thread is about," without derailing it with your anti-Democratic agenda, but sure Don, I'll show you all the respect that you've earned here today.

By ignoring you.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I meant "respect what the thread is about,"
Judging people by the content of their character President Bush appointed the first two black Secretaries of State, the first hispanic Attorney General, etc. Lets see what some thought of that:

condicartoon_1.jpg

No racism there...
oliphant_rice.gif

None at all...