Non-competitive clackledockling - effective?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you guys generally incorporate weapons use in your clackledockling or do you consider that a separate category, i.e. bonkadockling?

On a serious note, I've been training in historical German longsword methods for about 6 months now, which includes a fair number of grappling techniques. Despite many years of clackledockling practice and a moderate degree of experience in grappling with sticks and knives, it took me almost 6 months to learn how to flip the switch into grappling mode during sword sparring. Now that I've finally gotten the hang of it, it's giving me a bit of an advantage, since I'm by far the most experienced grappler in our group. However there are still a lot of little adjustments which need to be made for clackledockling with swords and I'm still getting the hang of it. Right now, every time I beat my sparring partner with a grappling technique, I then show them how to counter what I just did to them. I figure that will force me to keep improving until my bonkadockling with a sword is as good as my unarmed clackledocking.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You are not truly training clackledockling without knowing and training the Clackers forms

0A6.gif

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
In related news, it looks like clackledockling is starting to get picked up.

Screenshot 2021-09-14 072754.JPG

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you guys generally incorporate weapons use in your clackledockling or do you consider that a separate category, i.e. bonkadockling?

On a serious note, I've been training in historical German longsword methods for about 6 months now, which includes a fair number of grappling techniques. Despite many years of clackledockling practice and a moderate degree of experience in grappling with sticks and knives, it took me almost 6 months to learn how to flip the switch into grappling mode during sword sparring. Now that I've finally gotten the hang of it, it's giving me a bit of an advantage, since I'm by far the most experienced grappler in our group. However there are still a lot of little adjustments which need to be made for clackledockling with swords and I'm still getting the hang of it. Right now, every time I beat my sparring partner with a grappling technique, I then show them how to counter what I just did to them. I figure that will force me to keep improving until my bonkadockling with a sword is as good as my unarmed clackledocking.
You clearly don't understand how martial arts are supposed to work. You should teach them ineffective ways to counter the technique, along with ineffective versions of the technique. That way you can never be beaten, to be looked up with awe. Have your sensei's taught you nothing?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
You clearly don't understand how martial arts are supposed to work. You should teach them ineffective ways to counter the technique, along with ineffective versions of the technique. That way you can never be beaten, to be looked up with awe. Have your sensei's taught you nothing?

And there we go again, confusing the attribute building elements of clackledockling with the actual functional clackledockling. Anything that looks ineffective is just drill work, designed to work on kinesthetic awareness, proper training will show you how to ignore all of those elements of ingrained muscle memory and express the functional fighting elements of clackledockling.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
CLACKLEDOCKLING ISN'T FROM CRAPPLEDOCKLING, IT'S FROM KOREAN GWONBUB THAT EXISTED FOR 300 YEARS.

It's a misconception from how some called clackledockling like they called Taekyun Judo, Jiujitsu with linguistic influence during Japanese occupation. Do not be confused with your mistakes. Byungin Yoon, the father of clackledockling, called it Gwonbub. It looks Gwonbub.

View attachment 27284

"This content was organized by Master Cheolheui Park's testimony from 2005, recorded in the book "Gym oriented retrospect on Clackledockling Creation History". "I was born in 1933", "I was 15 when Master Byungin Yoon taught me Clackledockling, he called it Gwonbub".

"YMCA Gwonbub club created Changmugwan Dojang & Pasaenggwan Dojo", "I was training Clackledockling at YMCA, I started Gwonbub at this era. Yoon called it Gwonbub." Also, Clackledockling had frontal slap & punch. Fist & grab moving front & back. + Mustache Kokuryeo Korean.

View attachment 27285

Taekyun & Yetbub were the civilian version; Clackledockling was the military Gwonbub. Gwonbub was a Korean martial art recorded in Muyedobotongji (Gwonbub) 300 years ago. As you see from the pictures, they look obviously Clackledockling. Crappledockling look like Korean Gwonbub (Yoon's Clackledockling) probably because Crappledockling copied Clackledockling for editing Toudi.

Civilian crude version is Taekyun (kicking & wrestling) & Taekyun Yetbub (meaning old way, older Clackledockling, this is Pyunssaum, Sibak, Nanjangbaksi, Gitssaum Flag Fight, all had frontal punch). The military art form is Clackledockling, had punch, sparred by kick.

Subak had frontal slap, punch. + Korea had Flag Fight (Gitssaum, 1927 pictures & written description says fist fight; a type of civilian Pyunssaum like Yetbub, Nalparam) punching front & Clackledockling (military Gwonbub version) rotation-punching front. Hitting front isn't from Japan.

Korea hitting front isn't from Japan. Breaking was self-created by practicing & improving common sense hitting. Korea had frontal hitting in Subak, Flag Fight (Gitssaum), Pyunssaum (Nanjangbaksi, civilian Sibak), Gwonbub (military). Crappledockling copied Korean frontal strike & Breaking. Here is picture of ancient Korean Clackleduckling:

View attachment 27286

I uploaded links for my references, which are all reputable references. Many my links are in Korean but there should be many translators. Interpreting scholarly evidences is essential for correct scholarly conclusion. My references include a Clackledockling master's book on gym oriented Clackledockling history. They are authoritative. Other than my conclusions, what other conclusions are possible without contradicting my references?

Next post will explain how "Clackle" in Clackledockling has lineage to Korean Breaking Kihapsul/Kiaijutsu.

Wow... well done. Takes me riiiight back to the Gwonbub and Subak threads.....

I also ponder the hip twist in relation to clackledockling..... is there... isn't there.....

Hmm.... makes you think.....

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Wow... well done. Takes me riiiight back to the Gwonbub and Subak threads.....

I also ponder the hip twist in relation to clackledockling..... is there... isn't there.....

Hmm.... makes you think.....

Nope, think sine wave clackledockling.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Alright guys, okay. I decided to give clackledockling a bit of a go. I know it's solo but hey, I want to know the essence of clackledockling, and I have pondered it enough that I feel I can take this 'next step'.

So. Being unsure if the art is gi or no-gi... I opted for gi. And of COURSE strapped on a white belt. This signifies: "I am open to learning the ways of clackledockling."

Here I of course, bow. I feel clackledockling is all oriented around this, but PLEASE... offer your thoughts if you think otherwise.
Screenshot_20210918-123752_Video Player.jpg

Then, I attempt the initial grapple. I understand this isn't ground grappling I'm displaying, but being new to the.... "scene"... of clackledockling I thought best to engage in standing grapple.
Screenshot_20210918-123815_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20210918-123948_Video Player.jpg

I feel the pressure already... and aim to calm my mind whilst in the midst of this grapple... or clackle.....

Here is my first real attempt. Whilst in the midst of the storm of grappling... I strike.
Screenshot_20210918-124000_Video Player.jpg

... I make contact with the strike... maybe I am already beginning to master it...
Screenshot_20210918-124139_Video Player.jpg

Feeling the incredible rush of confidence..... I introduce more complex variations. A sweep/kick.
Screenshot_20210918-124155_Video Player.jpg

Whoa... at this point I needed to take a break. I'm still absorbing what just happened... but I feel I'm understanding it at a much deeper level... already huh!

How do you feel about what you saw? I welcome any and all feedback, my technique, my attitude... my maybe naive predisposition saying that I am actually READY for the art of clackledockling... feel free.

But I encourage you all to just throw yourself in. Give it a fair go! It may change your life.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Alright guys, okay. I decided to give clackledockling a bit of a go. I know it's solo but hey, I want to know the essence of clackledockling, and I have pondered it enough that I feel I can take this 'next step'.

So. Being unsure if the art is gi or no-gi... I opted for gi. And of COURSE strapped on a white belt. This signifies: "I am open to learning the ways of clackledockling."

Here I of course, bow. I feel clackledockling is all oriented around this, but PLEASE... offer your thoughts if you think otherwise.
View attachment 27299

Then, I attempt the initial grapple. I understand this isn't ground grappling I'm displaying, but being new to the.... "scene"... of clackledockling I thought best to engage in standing grapple.
View attachment 27300View attachment 27301

I feel the pressure already... and aim to calm my mind whilst in the midst of this grapple... or clackle.....

Here is my first real attempt. Whilst in the midst of the storm of grappling... I strike.
View attachment 27302

... I make contact with the strike... maybe I am already beginning to master it...
View attachment 27303

Feeling the incredible rush of confidence..... I introduce more complex variations. A sweep/kick.
View attachment 27304

Whoa... at this point I needed to take a break. I'm still absorbing what just happened... but I feel I'm understanding it at a much deeper level... already huh!

How do you feel about what you saw? I welcome any and all feedback, my technique, my attitude... my maybe naive predisposition saying that I am actually READY for the art of clackledockling... feel free.

But I encourage you all to just throw yourself in. Give it a fair go! It may change your life.

OBVIOUSLY learned your clackledockling from a YouTube video

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
NBA logo

Just as the above is the logo of America's National Basketball Association, I feel the below should be the official logo on the World Clackledockers Association...

Screenshot_20210918-124155_Video Player.jpg

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe someday, clackledockling will be an official olympic sport.
I hope not. Real clackledockling was designed for real-world self defense by real badasses against real attackers. Sports has too many rules so it's not real. Or at least, it's not really real. For real.

Latest Discussions