Non-competitive clackledockling - effective?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Clackledockling, that is, the combination of grappling and striking synthesized into a seamless martial arts style, is very effective. I think we all agree on that. But while MMA is the most well known example of clackledockling, I think the competitive nature of MMA training is what makes it effective.

Can you clackledock effectively without competition? Are traditional training models for clackledockling as effective as modern, competitive ones?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Even the military Clackledockles competitively these days.

If you wanted a system that could be considered born on the battle field you really are looking at competitive Clackledockling

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It depends. My stance on competitive clackledockling has pretty much been the same since the start: You don't need to compete for it to be competitive. But someone does. That could be you, but it could be your coach, someone else you train with, or someone who comes visits for open clackledock night every once in a while. It could be your coaches coach too, but the closer you are to the competitive clackledockler in your training, the more likely your training will be effective.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I saw some crappledockling on YouTube... some guys just sort of making it up. It was clear that they weren't actually crackledockling, and some of the stuff they were demonstrating actually looked more dangerous to the person doing the technique than their opponent.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe we need a Clackledocklers Lodge. But Clackledocklers team hats are pretty much a given.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe we need a Clackledocklers Lodge. But Clackledocklers team hats are pretty much a given.
I wish I had an artistic direction-then I'd come up with it. Sadly, I do not. I do vote for us to continue using clackledockling as the term for arts of this nature. It really solves the whole what is mma vs. not mma debate.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
render

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And by the way I am suggesting competitive
I saw some crappledockling on YouTube... some guys just sort of making it up. It was clear that they weren't actually crackledockling, and some of the stuff they were demonstrating actually looked more dangerous to the person doing the technique than their opponent.

Crappledockling

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Clackledockling is no doubt a superior way to train... and a phenomenal term for said training.

But I'd like to suggest that it's really more a mindset. Is philosophy too far? Let's stick with mindset, just for the moment.

I think it's very reality-based, because it can truly be applied in reality with very little technical skill! Maybe an innovation in RBSD.... but even in everyday life its philoso... oh sorry, sorry... MINDSET truly shines.

Real-world anecdotal example and evidence:

"Jimbo! That report is due 5pm, don't forget!"

Jimbo: "Ah... I TOTALLY forgot........ okay. Let's clackledockle this..."

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
This thread needs clarification, IMO. Bear with me, but I can't stand the clackledockling myths that are all over the internet. My teacher comes from an ancient lineage of clackledocklers. You might wonder how come there's no video of non-competitive clackledocklers clackledockling in a street fight, but I want to point out that 99% of clackledockling dojos are not doing the real thing. Except mine, of course.

To answer your question, non-competitive clackledockling IS effective, no doubt, but only if you learnt how to clackledockle from a true clackledockling master from a respected clackledockling lineage of clackledocklers who knew how to clackledockle in the first place. I could show you, but I've been sworn into secrecy. I hope this helps.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
CLACKLEDOCKLING ISN'T FROM CRAPPLEDOCKLING, IT'S FROM KOREAN GWONBUB THAT EXISTED FOR 300 YEARS.

It's a misconception from how some called clackledockling like they called Taekyun Judo, Jiujitsu with linguistic influence during Japanese occupation. Do not be confused with your mistakes. Byungin Yoon, the father of clackledockling, called it Gwonbub. It looks Gwonbub.

1631624562753.png

"This content was organized by Master Cheolheui Park's testimony from 2005, recorded in the book "Gym oriented retrospect on Clackledockling Creation History". "I was born in 1933", "I was 15 when Master Byungin Yoon taught me Clackledockling, he called it Gwonbub".

"YMCA Gwonbub club created Changmugwan Dojang & Pasaenggwan Dojo", "I was training Clackledockling at YMCA, I started Gwonbub at this era. Yoon called it Gwonbub." Also, Clackledockling had frontal slap & punch. Fist & grab moving front & back. + Mustache Kokuryeo Korean.

1631624745789.png

Taekyun & Yetbub were the civilian version; Clackledockling was the military Gwonbub. Gwonbub was a Korean martial art recorded in Muyedobotongji (Gwonbub) 300 years ago. As you see from the pictures, they look obviously Clackledockling. Crappledockling look like Korean Gwonbub (Yoon's Clackledockling) probably because Crappledockling copied Clackledockling for editing Toudi.

Civilian crude version is Taekyun (kicking & wrestling) & Taekyun Yetbub (meaning old way, older Clackledockling, this is Pyunssaum, Sibak, Nanjangbaksi, Gitssaum Flag Fight, all had frontal punch). The military art form is Clackledockling, had punch, sparred by kick.

Subak had frontal slap, punch. + Korea had Flag Fight (Gitssaum, 1927 pictures & written description says fist fight; a type of civilian Pyunssaum like Yetbub, Nalparam) punching front & Clackledockling (military Gwonbub version) rotation-punching front. Hitting front isn't from Japan.

Korea hitting front isn't from Japan. Breaking was self-created by practicing & improving common sense hitting. Korea had frontal hitting in Subak, Flag Fight (Gitssaum), Pyunssaum (Nanjangbaksi, civilian Sibak), Gwonbub (military). Crappledockling copied Korean frontal strike & Breaking. Here is picture of ancient Korean Clackleduckling:

1631625072289.png

I uploaded links for my references, which are all reputable references. Many my links are in Korean but there should be many translators. Interpreting scholarly evidences is essential for correct scholarly conclusion. My references include a Clackledockling master's book on gym oriented Clackledockling history. They are authoritative. Other than my conclusions, what other conclusions are possible without contradicting my references?

Next post will explain how "Clackle" in Clackledockling has lineage to Korean Breaking Kihapsul/Kiaijutsu.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
While clackledockling is more of a generic term for styles that have striking and grappling, it's pretty common for some people to try and claim they clackledockle "for real." Personally, I don't care whether your clackledockling includes any kind of mumbo jumbo, if you aren't competing, you aren't going to get very good at clackdockling. Unless, of course, you're a particularly violent person in your profession, where you may clackledockle regularly as part of your job.

Latest Discussions