Ninpo Syllabus

OP
B

Bushi

Thank you. and yes, not to discredit don, i mean no disrespect but i believe he jumped te gun on the fraud thing too. However I am going to pursue a Bujinkan dojo, and add to my training. Sensei paul had to close the dojo due to financial strain and personal family events that i wish not to expose on behalf of mr. lawrence. but again i thank you for all the info you have given me. I do have one other question. In the Bujinkan school, does it encompass ninpo? and does it still follow the path of the nin/kokoru/benevolent heart?

thank you

D

OP
B

Bushi

While my brain is working, what is the difference between Bujinkan and Genbukan? And I beleive Sensei Paul did study both as mentioned above.

D

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bushi said:
Thank you. and yes, not to discredit don, i mean no disrespect but i believe he jumped te gun on the fraud thing too.

Don't worry about saying harsh things about me. I can take it. And I happen to agree with your opinion. It is just that the words "traditionall" applied to an art that is not part of the three that are mentioned in this charter set off alarms in my head. There have been soooo many times that I have seen that used inreference to a totally fake art that my suspicions were raised.

I still do not see how something that is, in essence, something cobbled together from various sources like that by an American can be called traditional. It would not fit in the description of arts allowed in this section. But as long as the guy has not lied about something, he is not a fruad in my book.

I think that what you find in a Bujinkan dojo will be different from dojo to dojo. But the art as a whole has what you seem to be looking for.

Oh, and I would suggest you try to find info on the differences between the Genbukan and the Bujinkan by searching past threads at places like e-budo.com. Every time that subject has come up, it seems to develop into a flame war as a small number of troublemakers from both orginizations jump in to take shots at the other. Imagine if you asked what the difference is between the Democratic party and the Republican party on a chat forum and you may understand why I look at the question with a bit of fear.

OP
B

Bushi

Thank you for your posts Don, your info has been of great help to me. And I totally understand why you would take that stance first hand after all, i'm sure ,like you said, you see tons of cases of false claims. Everyone has provided me with excellent info thank you. And for the record(FYI) he's English/Canadian. Not American. Still though my one question remains, is Ninpo part of Bujinkan, or was that answered subtley in "you will find what you are looking for in Bujinkan"?

Domo

D

OP
B

Bushi

Thank you Kizaru, your links were of much help. I noticed on a lot of the kyu's that I have been graded on certain "areas" in a variety of the kyu's. (does that make sense?) for eg. My grades included kihon happo, 16 fists, and sanchin no kata, and wrist escapes which were spread out between kyus ranging up to 6th. So it will be interesting to see where they put me in the dojo.

George Kohler

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shizen Shigoku said:
It is still a bit fishy since on the website, Mr. Lawrence only credits Hatsumi for his rank and only mentions Tanemura in the sense of "...also had the honour of training under Grandmaster Shoto Tanemura."

Mr Lawrence is no longer in the Genbukan. If you go to www.genbukan.org you will not be able to find Kurama dojo under the Genbukan anymore. I believe he left sometime around 2001 or 2002. I don't think he was in the Genbukan that long either.

OP
B

Bushi

George I beleive you are right, I think he is no longer associated with any particular school. As for Kizaru, let me explain(or try to). basically, i was graded to 8th kyu ninpo. in doing so i was graded on kihon happo, sanchin no kata, and various others as well as the 16 fists. I noticed on one of the links that the entire 6 kyu was 16 fists and that sanchin no kata and kihon happo were in other kyus such as 8th and 7th i think, or was it 5? not sure. Anyways, hope that clears up what I was trying to say. So like I said it will be interesting to see what my skill level is in bujinkan.

Mountain Kusa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Bushi, dont worry about this. It seems that all the teachers i trained under had their curriculum arranged in a different manner, but it all goes to the same place. Eventually and sooner than you think, you will pass all this onto greater challenges. It is more important to enjoy the path.

OP
T

te_greening

Don Roley said:
I must warn you that your opinion that what you learned from your old teacher will not harm what you do in the Bujinkan may be a bit premature. You may find that your old teacher dropped or never knew certain important points and added certain things that may clash with how things are done in more standard Bujinkan dojos.
regardless of what rubbish people are taught i reckon it's better to be doing anything and call it exercise then sitting on the couch growing your behind.

moving is moving, and provided you're willing to empty your cup when you go to a new class it shouldn't affect you too much.

OP
B

Bushi

the bujinkan dojo in my city is a branch of bill atkins' dojo in california. any particular thoughts on his dojo(s)

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill Atkins is a great practicioner. The question would be what kind of student he turns out, which I do not know. Or rather, what kind of teacher he turns out, which again I do not know. Babe Ruth was a terrible coach despite his fame as a player. Can we say the same about Atkins? All I can say is that Atkins himself is a great person and full of knowledge. He is one of the most knowledgable people in the Bujinkan and one of the least willing to call attention to himself.

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Bill Atkins is a great practicioner. The question would be what kind of student he turns out, which I do not know. Or rather, what kind of teacher he turns out, which again I do not know. Babe Ruth was a terrible coach despite his fame as a player. Can we say the same about Atkins? All I can say is that Atkins himself is a great person and full of knowledge. He is one of the most knowledgable people in the Bujinkan and one of the least willing to call attention to himself.
I will admit to being a bit biased - but I am nothing but impressed with the other TenChiJin Dojo instructors.

As to what kind of teacher he turns out - that is a moot question. There is no Quality Control on teaching ability - either you have it or you don't. The only thing you can do is equip someone with the right knowledge and a system to pass on that knowledge...

On a related note (and perhaps this is a different thread) - it has been my observation that teachers who engrain scientific principles as opposed to feelings tend to get more consistent results in their students.

Teaching is as much an art as painting...

-Daniel

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One of the things I appreciate most about my current teacher is that he takes the time not only to instruct in an "ordinary" manner, but also to explain how to do things WRONG.

OP
B

Bushi

Good to know. I look forward to studying under the Bujinkan.

Latest Discussions