Nick Cerio cut ties w/ USSD

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
so for a grand total of $2,000 you too can know the secrets of the shaolin temple. Who says you can't put a price on knowledge

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I might end up in the same boat as you Danjo, when my two year contract is up I'll probably leave ussd since I won't be able to afford an increase to $200/month. I'm going to look into some epak studio's and a Kara-Ho teacher, and the place my supervisor does BJJ. What made you chose Kajukenbo? Is it similar to SKK.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I might end up in the same boat as you Danjo, when my two year contract is up I'll probably leave ussd since I won't be able to afford an increase to $200/month. I'm going to look into some epak studio's and a Kara-Ho teacher, and the place my supervisor does BJJ. What made you chose Kajukenbo? Is it similar to SKK.

Long story. Not really similar to SKK, but if you like SKK and are serious about good training, you'll really like Kajukenbo IMO.

Basically, I was told to check out Kajukenbo and started looking into it. I ordered the WKO tape series from John Bishop and really liked what I saw and started to learn the techniques as best I could. About a year later, I went to train live with John Bishop and have enjoyed every minute of it. There was a lot I had to correct when I went there (you can only get so much from tapes), but it's been a blast.

I actually bought out my contract when my instructor Gufbal1982 left by paying off all of my discounted fees since I had joined. I had about 9 months or so left on the contract. I took BJJ for about 6 months at the Ralph Gracie academy in Placentia, CA with Brad Jackson. Then he left to become a full time School Psychologist, so I quit too (the new guy from Brazil trained us like we were all getting ready for the Octagon or something which was a bit much for my needs).

Good luck with everything.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My supervisor that trains in BJJ does it for the octagon so I wonder what kind of training I'll get there. No Kajukenbo that I know of here in Utah so I'm leaning toward Kara-Ho or epak.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My supervisor that trains in BJJ does it for the octagon so I wonder what kind of training I'll get there. No Kajukenbo that I know of here in Utah so I'm leaning toward Kara-Ho or epak.
They're both very good arts. Ask around to those on the forum here about the specifics of each club you're considering joining to save yourself some hassle.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Your welcome, gimmick or not I don't know but Charles Mattera got some transcripts from the Abbott that he is turning into a book which is being sold for $200. The book is supposed to have all sorts of secrets to becoming healthier and stronger like the monks. It's at ussd's website if want to see the advertisment.

That website is run by Bill Huff from Laguna Niguel 1.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That website is run by Bill Huff from Laguna Niguel 1.

For some reason, in my personal experience, every time I sparred someone from Laguna Niguel at one of those closed USSD tournaments, I lost to guys that scored with punches and kicks that missed me by at least three feet, while mine that made contact weren't counted. Hmmmmmm....don't think there was any favoritism at work do you? Nah, couldn't be.:)

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I learned that the trick is to hit them in the head and make sure their head wobbles, then it makes it that much harder to not "notice" your hit. It works for me (sometimes)

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For some reason, in my personal experience, every time I sparred someone from Laguna Niguel at one of those closed USSD tournaments, I lost to guys that scored with punches and kicks that missed me by at least three feet, while mine that made contact weren't counted. Hmmmmmm....don't think there was any favoritism at work do you? Nah, couldn't be.:)

I agree, for the most part, although I've had a lot of success in the 'closed tournaments' ... I've had a lot of points scored against me that would do absolutely nothing in the street. I believe in controlled contact. I agree, there should be nothing broken or bleeding ... LOL ... but there needs to be something remaining when a strike is thrown, especially at higher ranks. In otherwords, over-extended punches and kicks do nothing and therefore should count as nothing. Yes, at times, and at certain ranks, there does seem to be some favoritism. I just pride myself in the fact that those I compete with respect what I do and leave it at that ...

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score

No...no favoritism...no way.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

IRO-Bot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I brought this up with my instructor, and he gave me this "where have you been getting your information" look, and told me that Cerio was the Headmaster of United Studios until the day he died.
It seems a bit odd getting different stories from different people both inside and outside the organization, doesn't it?

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I brought this up with my instructor, and he gave me this "where have you been getting your information" look, and told me that Cerio was the Headmaster of United Studios until the day he died.
It seems a bit odd getting different stories from different people both inside and outside the organization, doesn't it?

Well, I'm sure that's the USSD party line these days. You should contact Cerio's people and ask them what the deal was.

Latest Discussions