Nick Cerio cut ties w/ USSD

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Do you have any more information on it? I remember seeing some pictures and class schedules on the web, but it must of been on the final month of the final year the were doing it.

Yes, in the final years they had a separate kung fu program, and in fact, the splintered off ussd schools still have that. All the instructors used to have DeMasco's "certification" on their walls and one of my friends back east had it translated and it really says "this guy does cool stuff"

MeatWad2

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, actually I do. That kung fu taught there was the Steve DeMasco version of Master Tak Wah Eng's style.

I heard Steve DeMasco's versions are different than the other dude's. why did he change it? also, why did nick cerio cut ties with charles mattera and ussd? does anyone know?

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As long as I can end up looking like Charlie Mattera, all's good.

Ouch. It's not like the's the only big master in kenpo in general, though. On the plus side, he's at least trying to correct his weight problem now, and incorperating proper nutrition into the instructor curriculum.

I was his uke this weekend at a seminar he did last weekend, though. I really didn't see anything lacking in his martial skills, and he's one hell of a nice guy. It was a bit difficult to bear hug the guy, though. :)

(it was me and my fiancee's 5 year anniversary, so we went to the seminar as a date. Nothing is more appropriate for celebrating 5 years thatn beating the everliving crap out of eachother, IMO.)

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ouch. It's not like the's the only big master in kenpo in general, though. On the plus side, he's at least trying to correct his weight problem now, and incorperating proper nutrition into the instructor curriculum.

I was his uke this weekend at a seminar he did last weekend, though. I really didn't see anything lacking in his martial skills, and he's one hell of a nice guy. It was a bit difficult to bear hug the guy, though. :)

(it was me and my fiancee's 5 year anniversary, so we went to the seminar as a date. Nothing is more appropriate for celebrating 5 years thatn beating the everliving crap out of eachother, IMO.)

People look all manner of different ways in terms of what kind of shape they're in. Some large people move well, others do not. I've seen Charlie move. I'll just leave it at that.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was watching the Villari DVD'd (thanks Dan) and Villari moves really well for a guy in his mid sixties. How well would you say Mattera moves in comparison?

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not arguing with anyone here. I haven't seen villari move but I have seen mattera move in the last few years. He's definatly lost a step but every once in a while he moves so fast he let's you know he would smack you down. I keep hearing also that if anyone ever did walk in and confront villari even now that he would just crush them. I think they are both still tough guys.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not arguing with anyone here. I haven't seen villari move but I have seen mattera move in the last few years. He's definatly lost a step but every once in a while he moves so fast he let's you know he would smack you down. I keep hearing also that if anyone ever did walk in and confront villari even now that he would just crush them. I think they are both still tough guys.
:rolleyes:

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Prof. Shuras did say that not many challenged Villari back in the day and the ones that did had nothing to brag about after. I've never seen Mattera move so I won't comment on him, has anyone seen how Prof Cerio moved, I'd be interested to hear about that

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I remember them in my younger days, all legit artists. People see Mr. Vilari now, and judge. He's in his mid 60's (?), and moves very well from what I've seen. Those that feel now, and did then, seen, and knew would testify to his skill. Even other masters that did not like him did. As for Mr. Cerio, what can be said? A hard Core BB, from Mr. Pesare, 'nough said! All that knew him said that if they got into it, they'd want him there with them. Business practices aside, they all came up in the old school, trained that way, and had personalities to match.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would love to see footage of all the old masters doing their thing

Check out youtube.com...I've found Nick Cerio on there before doing Shushi No Kan Sho. You can seriously find a lot of Master's on there...though, I haven't found FV on there.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I've heard that Mr. Mattera was definately a fighter back in the day. However, you have to remember that he did have a knee surgery and those things are never good. You rarely ever get back to 100% of where you were before.

It's nice that he's incorporating an instructor nutritional program into the curriculum. Everything has to come from the top though. As an instructor, you learn by example. Do you all go to see a nutritionist? That's the only way to truely know what's right for your body. Some people actually do have a larger frame (as in bone structure) than others. Also, your nutrition program should take into account that some people, if they are chubby, may have problems losing weight because of a thyroid problem or what not. So, if nutrition is truely a new thing being enforced for instructors, then a trip to the doctor and/or nutritionist is in order. That's not just my opinion as an instructor either. It's coming from experience.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Check out youtube.com...I've found Nick Cerio on there before doing Shushi No Kan Sho. You can seriously find a lot of Master's on there...though, I haven't found FV on there.

That is hardly Nick Cerio performing Shushi in the video you commented on. That is a junior black belt or a newbie adult shodan.

Shushi No Kon Sho is taught at adult Nikyu / children's Ikkyu level. Not a bad little form to get someone use to the bo.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That is hardly Nick Cerio performing Shushi in the video you commented on. That is a junior black belt or a newbie adult shodan.

Shushi No Kon Sho is taught at adult Nikyu / children's Ikkyu level. Not a bad little form to get someone use to the bo.

Um, it's on there. You just have to look hard to find it. I know I did. We also may not be viewing the same video as things do get taken off of Youtube all the time.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Um, it's on there. You just have to look hard to find it. I know I did. We also may not be viewing the same video as things do get taken off of Youtube all the time.

He IS on the video in question, but is not doing the form himself. Another person/kid is. Not trying to be picky.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
He IS on the video in question, but is not doing the form himself. Another person/kid is. Not trying to be picky.

That wasn't the clip I saw. Mine was up there like 2 or 3 months ago. I know the one you are talking about because it is directly from the cerio bo tape. Maybe we really have seen two different things.

Latest Discussions