minimum fitness for TKD

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you can help me out, thanks whether you can or can't. There are two TKD places in my town. They are the only martial arts availible. In the past I've done shotokan and kenpo. I'd like to take TKD, but, to be honest, I don't know if I should. I'm 36, knees aren't too great and I'm probably not in the best shape of my life What i've always admired about people who do TKD is the way they move, much less kick, and I'm not sure I'm in shape for it. I've spoken to a lot of people who feel the same way. Can you work your way into shape? Do any of you run, or lift weights? What I mean is there a minimum level of fitness to be in to take TKD? I've heard the workouts at one school are brutal, plyometrics, etc. Sounds fun, but should I get in shape first?

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
get into shape to get into shape...sounds like a double negative :)

Just jump in and be sure to listen to your body, I know the instructor is there to push you, but you're old enough and experianced enough to know what's good for you and what is not. Common sense goes a far way.
Besides there's got to be a beginner's class where they SHOULD ease people into things.

Rob

R

ronnie_au

I deffinately have to agree with Robbo there. I just started Tae Kwon Do about a month and a half ago. I'm probably about 15-20 pounds over weight, and very much out of shape. I'm a 3rd year computer science student. Not to play up the stereo type, but I've never been very active, and I've spent most of my time in front of a computer. Being too much out of my shape was my biggest concern, and it kept me out of the Dojang for over 4 years. But I got home from university and decided whats the worst that could happen? Well, the first class was brutal. But after that, it's gotten so much better. I absolutely love it!!! I'm going for my yellow belt this saturday, and I'm competing in my first tournament on July 10th. I've made some great friends, and I couldn't be happier. My only regret is waiting so long.

D

Disco

I'm 36, knees aren't too great................

Just what kind of not too great are we talking about here? We all know that TKD is very kick driven, so that means the knees will be working overtime if their not 100%. If you have some serious to boarder line serious knee restrictions, I would give serious thought to jumping into TKD training. If that is not a major problem, then just work on your cardio. But as was pointed out, you start at the white belt level. Just take your time and ease into the program. The biggest drawback to new people is trying to do more than their ready for. Don't let your prior training push you the wrong way. Have seen to many people hurt themselves doing that. :asian:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, I started TKD at 47. I had really grating knees, no upper body strength , bad wrist, chronic bursitis in my shoulders and a back that was always going "out". Even though I had exercised before joining, what I thought was exercise, after I joined I think I found where every muscle was in my body. I had lost weight before, about 30 lbs. just going on the treadmill for an hour most every night for six months and doing 30 min. of floor exercises. And I watched what I ate then too. Something about doing the treadmill, its so boring you get to thinking that you will never eat any more desserts, ha.

So, then I started class with my daughter and son. Eight years later, I am almost a 2nd dan BB and I have earned it. You may not need to lose any pounds but right now we have alot of overweight people, who are watching what they are eating and doing what they can but having fun while they are working on it. I saw one guy drop his weight about 1-2 lbs a week and when he got to black belt some 4+ years later, he looked terrific and was terrific. But do listen to your body. I was obsessive about going– 8 classes a week. But I started out at 2, then 3, then 4, then double classes, then jumping to another town's school (same master). I went when I was sore and sometimes half tired but if my knees were in PAIN, i took a day off. I have taken Glucosamine SULFATE for cartilage regeneration for 6 years and it makes the knees feel better too. Also MSM, it has an anti-inflammatory agent for swelling. Also, increased in ibuprofen, slowly, 1 a half hour before class, now I do two. Its worse when you don't take it. But don't jump through pain, then knees get really bad the next day. Also ice them afterward, if you have the luxury of time. If it swells, they get more fluid in there, more pieces float around, causes more inflammation. Wicked cycle. Anyway it is manageable, cause I did it and am still jumping the same amount as eight years ago. I did a bad tornado round kick though as a blue belt and tore cartilage when I moved my knee back into joint one night in class. Knee not so good now.

We don't have a beginners's class. Because its more fun to work out with the dedicated regulars-the BB's usually and its better to learn to spar them. Beginner against beginner, not a pretty picture. Nobody knows what they are doing. I learned alot from higher ranks sparring them. Actually they aren't allowed to really hit the beginners anyway in our dojang.

Anyway I could go on and on - I've gotten alot of people my age, no actually 40 somethings to join. One day at a time, it is alot of work but I loved every minute of it. If you have any other concerns or questions, let me know. Go Do IT! ....TW
:asian:

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a beginner too, and I just started about a month ago. I won't say that I'm completely out of shape, but I'm definately not IN shape. TKD will GET you in shape. Start slow, and I agree with tiger woman, training with higher belts are much better. Everyone can teach you something, we switch parters everytime we do a different drill, and in a higher belt class, you learn from everyone!!

However, I also really really enjoy the beginners class because the instructor can really watch you and they are very picky about you doing the right way, preventing any bad habits from forming. Always yelling out, keep your hands up when you kick, and pivot that base foot!!

Start out and you'll be in shape in no time!

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We have had quite a few students that fit your description, and though they may not be able to kick as well as some of the others, they are just as skilled. You have to play to your strengths but, it doesn't mean you can't try out TKD and go as far as your body allows you. You may never be able to do a full power head kick and still come out with a lot of knowledge you may have never gotten otherwise.

I'm not saying you won't be able to be great at TKD, I'm just saying don't fear it, let everything flow and you will do fine.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Han-Mi said:
We have had quite a few students that fit your description, and though they may not be able to kick as well as some of the others, they are just as skilled. You have to play to your strengths but, it doesn't mean you can't try out TKD and go as far as your body allows you. You may never be able to do a full power head kick and still come out with a lot of knowledge you may have never gotten otherwise.

I'm not saying you won't be able to be great at TKD, I'm just saying don't fear it, let everything flow and you will do fine.

I'm sure you aren't telling him he CAN'T do a full power head kick EVER. He's only 36. I'm WAY older, and most any head kick is not hard to do. It just takes perseverance and practice. If his knees are candidates for knee replacement already then yeah. But we have a woman with the ACL completely torn and she is doing one heck of a spin heel to head level. She's a red belt, about the same age, 36. Never tell someone they can't do something - instead reach as far as you will go and you will get there.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm 38 and just had ACL reconstruction last year, and if I've learned anything about knees...it ain't just about the knees.

You should have a particular balance of strength between your quads (front of your thighs) and hams (back of thigh) just as you should your calves and shins.

Most women have weak hamstrings and buttocks, weaker shins.

So...start training, but be smart and cross-train to include something you enjoy that will work your legs. Now...don't just weight-train. You need to do balance-enhancing exercises to strengthen and tone your smaller muscles, tendons and ligaments to ensure joint stability.

Also...and this is really importanat...strengthen your hips and try to move from them as much as possible...rotate your hips when you are turning, not your knees and feet. This is going to take a lot of work.

Yoga and pilates are excellent for this kind of thing. See if you can get a personal trainer to give you an introductory or free strength assessment on you from the waist down (in the interest of the knees) and see where you're at.

Lunges are excellent - try doing them in sand...whole different ballgame. Supermans with a light weight between your feet will also be revealing. Ham curls are easy to do with therabands at home.

Good luck!

T

Tae Kwon Doughboy

The advice above is great. If I were you I would join unless the knees prevent it. Our school accomodates situations like that. We discussed my spina bifida before joining. So far there has been one thing I chose not to do, shoulder rolls. I let the instructor know I should sit them out and he said "just do something else."

Most of my life until 30 I had back or knee problems. Drinking warm Jello, wearing ankle weights and watching how I turned or got in and out of vehicles helped the knees.

I resembled your out of shape description at 40. I started walking 30 minutes a day, as fast as I could go, 5 to 7 days a week. This helped my leg strength and cardio. Stretching afterwards really helped.

At 41 I started Tia Chi from a tape. I alternated between Tia Chi and walking a reasonable pace, or did both, every day. This really helped me relax and build inner strength and balance.

At 43 I started Soo Bahk Do but couldn't put up with the one-way respect the master subscribed to. I needed to be where I could ask questions like "what am I doing wrong that makes it hurt here" and get answers. So here I am with TKD under USTU and love it.

At 44 I walk 5 days a week, work out at the dojang twice a week and with a BB friend once or twice a week.

OP
L

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, everybody, I really appreciate your sharing your thoughts. I think I'll go ahead and take a class at both schools (1st ones free at both) and see how it goes. Its been really encouraging to read what some of you have gone through and overcome and it makes me feel like I should stop whining. Knees aren't bad enough for surgery, just lots of snap, crackle, and pop. If I could lose the 60lbs overweight I'm sure they'd be fine. So I'll go and check it out. Again, thanks everyone. Only reason i asked is because, I don't think I ever met an out of shape TKD person.

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
Lonecoyote-

Please let us know how your first lesson went! It will encourage alot of other beginners in your situation as well.
Good luck and don't forget to have fun.
One more thing, please remember to stretch no only before class, but afterwards, i went to my first class after a long (over 10 years break) from TKD, and because of the axe kick drills, my hamstrings were SO sore, i can barely walk, and merely sitting down the toilet hurts!!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I say go for it, most instructors relize that every single person that walks into the dojaang is not in shape. They will have the forsight to push you to your limits and as you progress start to push a little harder...God Bless America

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know very many adult Tae Kwon Do students who walk into a dojang in peak physical condition already. Many of them are there because they want to get stronger and build themselves up. One of the really great things about traditional Tae Kwon Do is that, for those in less than peak physical shape, it is a magnificent way to build your overall health.
One of the duties of an Instructor is to take each student's weaknesses into account and work around them. For example, if you have weak knees or a bad back, develop and focus on middle kicks until your body is strong enough to handle higher kicking, if it ever does. Not being able to kick high is no indication of failure in Tae Kwon Do.
Our organization has had students with bad knees, bad backs, heart problems, blindness, diabetes, you name it. You work around the weaknesses and focus on the strengths.
By the way, the blind student was able to free fight by having his opponent wear a bell on his armor so he could hear him. His 2nd Dan break was a jump spinning side kick.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
I'm sure you aren't telling him he CAN'T do a full power head kick EVER. He's only 36. I'm WAY older, and most any head kick is not hard to do. It just takes perseverance and practice. If his knees are candidates for knee replacement already then yeah. But we have a woman with the ACL completely torn and she is doing one heck of a spin heel to head level. She's a red belt, about the same age, 36. Never tell someone they can't do something - instead reach as far as you will go and you will get there.
I wasn't suggesting that at all, and I say "more power to you and your friend" for such feats. I was just saying that he shouldn't be worried about it is all. And as many have said about you in this and other threads, You are a true success story and you have the will power and spirit of a master. I just hate for people to be discouraged because they may not live up to other people.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
I started TKD 8 years ago at the age of 40. I was a former college football player, so my knees and shoulders are in fair-to-poor condition. My TKD experience has been nothing short of terrific, but I will toss in the following thoughts:
1. The quality of your experience will depend to a great degree on your teacher.
This is NOT to say that you are not responsible for your progress or experience,
but I do recommend that you visit both schools and observe the way that classes are taught and people are treated in both schools. The best choice of schools for you may become obvious.
2. Talk to the Master at both schools and explain your situation and concerns and see what they say. Do the things that they say "reconcile" with what you have observed in their schools so far?
3. Is the school more of a traditional curriculum, or does it emphasize competitions? While high kicks, which are more difficult and stressful on joints
are a part of "traditional" TKD, I think you will find them emphasized more at a
school that focuses on competing. A school that is more "self-defense curriculum" will emphasize lower kicks that are much more useful in street situations. These kicks are not allowed in TKD competitions, but highly effective and much easier to execute in self-defense.
4. The advice to cross-train is excellent. I can no longer run because of my knees, but I regularly walk at about a 4mph pace on a treadmill with a 15 degree incline for about 1/2 hour 3 days a week. I also do a basic upper body
weightlifting routine that lasts about 20-30 minutes 2 or 3 times per week.
Throw in some regular static stretching, and I am in better shape than 99.9 percent of people on the street, and have no problems handling the work load in my TKD class

Hope this helps

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Folks:

Just a little sidelight from someone kibbutzing around the outside of this discussion. I think you want to be careful about comparing the performance of one person to that of another. I have found that not only age, but health, occupation, sex (male or female), diet and a host of other things can shape a persons' performance, and within relatively short periods of time. I agree that one truely DOES play to their strengthes, but I think that its also important that nothing is laid in concrete. Not only will people have good days and bad days, but there will also be overall good periods and bad periods. A week before I blew-out my hamstring I was doing some of the best jump spin kicks of my entire life! Now I am back to patting myself on the back for getting my Front Snap Kicks to chest level. I say, set your own personal best and stay with it. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Han-Mi said:
I wasn't suggesting that at all, and I say "more power to you and your friend" for such feats. I was just saying that he shouldn't be worried about it is all. And as many have said about you in this and other threads, You are a true success story and you have the will power and spirit of a master. I just hate for people to be discouraged because they may not live up to other people.

Sorry, I misunderstood you, Han Mi, it just sounded wrong to me. I'm not that awesome at all at 54! I just continue. I've had all kinds of problems/injuries and alot of down days. Practically all us older folks have. Some guys in our class may not have flexibility but they figured out a way to do that jump spin heel. Its about overcoming problems, figuring it out what you need to do, or just doing your best. Hey I've worked for a 2 years+ at a break I may never do - I just may have maxed out. But I will still keep practicing that until my doc says no or the knee goes. But I weigh the pros and cons. With me, the next step was not that terribly out of reach, so I reached. I'm glad I did. Everybody can have their own personal success story. In fact, everybody who joins martial arts for self improvement is a success, they started. Even if I was a white belt still, I would be in great shape if not more....that's success.

To Glad2bhere:
Its not about comparisons and I don't think we have been comparing ourselves by the way, to any one person. We are all unique with different experiences but we are the same too...in spirit! To each his/her journey....

Latest Discussions