Opinions/help needed.

CF'er

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As I told you before my whole family (husband, kids and I) started TKD in late Dec '06. We take at an ATA facility and are up to yellow belt. In March/April we joined the leadership club and got our sparring gear, weapons etc. We've used them a few times but not much due to our rank and sparring is still done as one steps.

Now my hubby doesn't like it and is quitting. (Sore subject with me but that's for another discussion.) My question is what to do with his equipment? It's basically new and in great condition. Can I sell it? (It has the ATA logos on it so it would have to go to someone in the ATA I would guess.) Should I ask our instructor about selling it for us? Should I try Ebay? Since we bought all of it at one time I don't really know what it's worth. Anyone willing to tell me? (Big bag, head gear, face shield, hand & feet pads and chest protector, foam nunchakus and another foam weapon that I'm not sure of the name.)

I would ask others at the dojo but I'm not sure of any other adults going into the leadership program. (There are a handful of adults in this dojo.)

Any advice? Thanks.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you have to be in the leadership program to own these items? If so, I would talk to your instructor about someone coming up who might need them. If not, I would talk to your instructor about posting a sign or making an announcement in class that they are available.

If selling them through your school is not possible, then you can try eBay (don't forget shipping costs), Play Again Sports (a chain that sells used exercise equipment) or similar, posting a sign in local schools (if they let you) and/or sporting goods stores (check for a community bulletin board - grocery stores too), or saving them for one of your kids, if they're likely to grow big enough to need them - then you won't have to buy larger sizes for the child.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would go talk to your instructor he maybe able to re-sell it to another student.

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
...or you could box them up and send them to me.... Just kidding. E-bay or Craiglist if you want your money back (no guarrantee though). You could sell it to an prospective "leader" too, you might not get the money out it. Sorry to here your husband lost interest. I can't seem to get the family invovled, and it's such a great family activity. Good luck.

OP
C

CF'er

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Better yet I can bring them to you. My mom lives on the east side of Cols. off Hamilton and Livingston.

Where do you take classes? Just out of curiosity.

I am hoping that DH will change his mind but I don't know. The whole "family" thing was his idea too. I will get my black belt for nothing else than to rub in his face and so I can kick his butt and good. LOL

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better yet I can bring them to you. My mom lives on the east side of Cols. off Hamilton and Livingston.

Where do you take classes? Just out of curiosity.

I am hoping that DH will change his mind but I don't know. The whole "family" thing was his idea too. I will get my black belt for nothing else than to rub in his face and so I can kick his butt and good. LOL

Good for you!! Let us know how your training is going, I shall enjoy congratulating you on your black belt! Good luck in selling the kit too.

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you are feeling generous, you could donate them to a less fortunate student. Just trying to think of things that have not already been said (because most of the 'good ideas' have already been mentioned I believe).

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just picked up some nice gear like this at a garage sale in our area. A father and son had quit Taekwondo right before getting their Black Belts in some other school (shame!). I gave the mom my business card, bought the gear at a reasonable price, and added to the equipment at my school.

Now my hubby doesn't like it and is quitting. (Sore subject with me but that's for another discussion.)

Most of the good ideas on what to do with the gear have been mentioned, but I don't want you to over-look the possibility (sore as the subject may be) of getting your husband back into training, even if only part-time. His interest might return, and if he does not get totally out of the habit, it will be easier to go full-time again.

I hope you and your husband have discussed this with your instructor. Whatever the reason your husband decided to start Training in the first place, there needs to be some discussion as to why it is good to continue (for his own health and fitness, for sticking together as a family, for supporting your interests even if he is not real thrilled, as a role model for your kids to not quit something at the drop of a hat, and to not quit because I said so :mst: - - see if that holds any weight!) :ultracool

Don't stop trying, just because he is being difficult now. It is better that the family stays together on this one! If you or your instructor can not convince him to stay in training, have your husband give me a call!

CM D.J. Eisenhart

OP
C

CF'er

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just picked up some nice gear like this at a garage sale in our area. A father and son had quit Taekwondo right before getting their Black Belts in some other school (shame!). I gave the mom my business card, bought the gear at a reasonable price, and added to the equipment at my school.

Most of the good ideas on what to do with the gear have been mentioned, but I don't want you to over-look the possibility (sore as the subject may be) of getting your husband back into training, even if only part-time. His interest might return, and if he does not get totally out of the habit, it will be easier to go full-time again.

I hope you and your husband have discussed this with your instructor. Whatever the reason your husband decided to start Training in the first place, there needs to be some discussion as to why it is good to continue (for his own health and fitness, for sticking together as a family, for supporting your interests even if he is not real thrilled, as a role model for your kids to not quit something at the drop of a hat, and to not quit because I said so :mst: - - see if that holds any weight!) :ultracool

Don't stop trying, just because he is being difficult now. It is better that the family stays together on this one! If you or your instructor can not convince him to stay in training, have your husband give me a call!

CM D.J. Eisenhart
That is what I am hoping for. I want to keep his gear in hopes that he will want to re-start or keep training again. If I get rid of it then $$ is a good excuse "not" to rejoin. He asked me Monday night if I told the instructor he wasn't coming back and I told him no. I feel that's his business and if he's man enough to quit he's man enough to show up and tell him.
My problem with that is "I" keep getting asked where he is. I hate making excuses and I refuse to tell him.
I feel like he is setting a poor example for the kids. When the going gets tough....quit. I know it's not easy and it's getting challenging but quitting isn't the answer. That and the fact that he isn't doing anything else to try to lose weight. If anything the opposite is true. He's just sitting here packing on the pounds. GRRRRRRRR!!

Rant over.

Latest Discussions