A new dojo for me

J

J-kid

SInce i want to be a great ufc fighter i dicided to take another MA since i have done Judo/jujisu wrestling etc already took some karate and boxing , i joined this gym on the side of my other one and wanted to know what you guys thought. The problem is i dont know much about other MAs besides karate and judo/jujitsu.
what do you think of this school /mcdojo good school etc. some things i have noticed we do alot of drills they pratice katas alot and do some grappling but i am the best one there i think at it. what do you think here is the site about my new dojo good bad , please give me your thoughts . Your friend Judo-Kid

http://www.fairwoodmartialarts.com/

OP
F

fissure

1. You don't tell us what MA it is.
2.Can't determine if it is a good school or not without seeing what they are doing.
3.If the only reason for your training is to compete in the UFC, why don't you go find a gym that does this.I know the Shamrock's have their Lion's Den in CA.Is'nt Maurice Smith up in WA somewhere?
Instead of learning bits and peices here and there, why not scrap the 3 or 4 dojos your at now and find one that offers UFC type instruction.

OP
C

chufeng

OK...tough guy...

If you really want to learn HOW to be bad MF...do the following:

Go to a biker bar and find the biggest, ugliest, guy in there and spit in his beer....

After you get out of the hospital, do it again...
Learn from each encounter...after about 15 or 20 trips to the hospital, you'll start "getting" it...

Now you're ready to compete at the "beginner" levels of UFC...

The rest of your education will be in the octagon...

Good Luck.

:asian:
chufeng

OP
M

Master of Blades

LOL.............and the funny thing is he's so right. And I wouldnt go round saying that your the best there in your opinion. cuz even if you are it will start arguments with people and its just annoying. I hope you do make it into UFC tho. I havnt seen anyone beat up a newbie on that show for ages!

OP
T

theneuhauser

my advice would be to devote yourself to one school at a time. most systems are complex enough to devote a lifetime to, so immerse yourself in one then, move on later when youre ready.

OP
S

sweeper

Maurice Smith has a gym in bellevue WA, think it's just a mauy thai gym though, don't know if it's a NHB school. But there are quite a few NHB schools in western washington..

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would sugguest entering grappling tournaments gi and non gi style. since you are not old enough to complete in UFC style fights. I believe you must be 18 and older. Since I have a 17 year old that wants to complete and he can't wait until he is 18.
Bob:D

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would have to say that the best advice on this thread has been to scrap the schools yo uare at, and focus on one style/system. Everyone talks about being "well rounded", but you can't say your are well rounded if you only know bits and peices of each art. Devote yourself to one, and if your goal is the UFC, devots to a comperable art, and stick with it. I wanted to go UFC for a long time, my best friend and trainier still wants me too, but for me, my style gives me enough challenges for now. But good luck!

PS I would really liek to see someone enter UFC with a "soft" style and just rake up on everyone !!

7sm

OP
S

sweeper

Kempojujutsu alot of schools here in washington have school circuits or closed cirsuit fights and if you have a parrental release signed you can fight in them (if you are the member of the school(s) of course).

7starmantis every school that teaches MMA I know of teaches multiple arts and genneraly there are multiple instructors with specialty in each art, how is that diffrent form training in multiple schools? (ok I know how it's diffrent, I mean would training in multiple schools realy be less effective?)

OP
V

vincefuess

My advice to you if you want to go to UFC or any similar event, train in anything and everything you can get your hands on. Mat time, mat time, mat time! Most of your successful no-holds barred fighters have their methods of training, but share one thing in common- gruelling down-n-dirty mat time. You have to train with people who can beat you, and train hard.

OP
S

sweeper

well I duno about that.. it depends on the situation.. most NHB fighters have a background in ground fighting or grappling, I tihnk that's why you see more of them win, not because they are nessisaraly better for the type of fighting.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by sweeper

7starmantis every school that teaches MMA I know of teaches multiple arts and genneraly there are multiple instructors with specialty in each art, how is that diffrent form training in multiple schools? (ok I know how it's diffrent, I mean would training in multiple schools realy be less effective?)

I'm sorry I missed your question until just now. I believe that the trend of "cross training" does a great diservice to the student and his skill. Let me say this is specificaly to Kung Fu, because that is all I have had experience with. It takes years to truly comprehend soem of the techniques and to start "style hopping" only creates confusion, and bad technique which will lead to bad performance. In my art, the reason to practice forms and such is to get the movements in your instincts. If you are style hopping, you get so many different movements in your head, you don't ever really master any of them.

7sm

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by 7starmantis

I'm sorry I missed your question until just now. I believe that the trend of "cross training" does a great diservice to the student and his skill. Let me say this is specificaly to Kung Fu, because that is all I have had experience with. It takes years to truly comprehend soem of the techniques and to start "style hopping" only creates confusion, and bad technique which will lead to bad performance. In my art, the reason to practice forms and such is to get the movements in your instincts. If you are style hopping, you get so many different movements in your head, you don't ever really master any of them.

7sm

So you wouldn't recommend cross training at all? If this is NOT
what you're saying, then at what point do you think one should
start?

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis, I wish it were possible.... seeing some little old kung fu master in the octagon tossing 280 pound monsters around like rag dolls would make my life. Its a nice fantasy though, makes me giggle.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Latest Discussions